WC qualifiers-around the globe

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 10, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

your attention is gently invited to the officiating at the Roma v. FFC match.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

World Cup admitedly picks from a larger pool and is more selective. That's not to say there haven't been ref mistakes in World Cup games, but the likelihood is far less.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Henry says he's embarassed about it

Then why'd ya do it? "twas no accident

Article http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 10&cc=5901

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Yeah, he wasn't embarrassed when he went off celebrating after the goal was scored. Gallas looked like he wanted to put the ball back into the box for a free kick himself, but Hemry was smiling and carrying on. How Dunne didn't out him in a stretcher when Henry sits next to him after the game is beyond me.

The replay should occur. It won't, but it should. FIFA is happy to have this result happen. they get big bucks from big teams making it into the tournament. Even if France says yes to a replay FIFA will block it.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: Roy Keane on Ireland/France

Ah.. they wil get over it, you gotta love the Irish!

Everyone knows about Irish truisms..
    "The only race where a mature male will step over a naked female to get to a drink"

And one I just heard this week on some drama.. maybe 'White Collar'..

"You cant psychoanalyse the Irish."

heh..

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

French are Human!

Unless the Beeb cherrypicked for the article...
    French hand-wringing over dubious win

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The little bit of Irish blood in me is most upset at the linesmen who had an unobstructive clear view and didn't have the stones to make the call. It was an "if only" match. If only DD could have gotten the ball to his favored left foot, if only Keane hadn't put a sledgehammers touch when going around the keeper for what should have been a tap-in. However, who's to say the French wouldn't have won it in pks. I like Henry trying to do damage control by calling for a replay.

Lost in the mayhem was Russia losing. That late away goal they gave up in the first leg came back to haunt them big time. That is a very good team not making the trip.

Watching Greece play football is slightly more fun than getting a root canal. However, that coach has a game plan, they stick to it, and if you get behind them 1-0...good night.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Asking Roy Keane about Ireland is like asking Stephen Ireland about Ireland. Each of them believes that he is much more important than his national team.

Roy Keane is just a bullying player turned into a bullying manager. I wouldn't ask him the time of day.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Speaking of Steven, I still cannot wrap my head around his boycott of the national team. Either some really awful stuff was said to him during that grandma fiasco, or his thumb and head are so far up his ass he's in Newfoundland.

And who is surprised by Keane's comments? Not me. It would be like asking for Steve Sampson's or Jamie Trecker's thoughts about Bradley bombing out in the World Cup.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

If only Robbie Keane would have scored the goal that was so easy for him to get. If only Ireland could have converted some of their very good play into another goal.

If ifs and buts were cherries and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Sorry, I disagree with the negative sentiment on Roy Keane, from the past and present. He's a hundred percent right. Get over it, you had your chances and you didn't convert. Sure the ref missed the call, but the Irish placed themselves in a position where they allowed a doof like that to influence the game. Yes the ref (and that one linesman in particular) were a thousand percent wrong, but again, did they make Ireland miss their two one-on-ones with the keeper?

And the cell phone bit was pretty funny.