WC: All but US matches

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 12, 2010.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

You've known FIFA were idiots for what, like 100 years now Don, and what have you done to institute change? That's right, a big fat donut.

Right again old timer, it is YOUR fault!!

2. sullytex

sullytex Member

I enjoyed yesterday's match (and I was pulling for the Dutch). Hate to see yet another goal controversy, shit's getting old. Bronckhorst and Robbens' goals were classic. That blast from Bronck was 42+ yards out, reminded me of Konch's goal. Absolute screamer.

I keep going back and forth on who will win today's game. I've landed back in Germany's court this morning. I really don't care but if I had to pick a team to pull for it would be zzzGermans.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'd be fine with either Spain or Germany making the finals, but I'm pulling for Germany. They have been great to watch and since they are so young, let them win a world cup now so they arent as hungry (hopefully) four years from now. Yes, it's time to start fooling myself that the USA will have a chance to reach the semis in 2014.

BTW, Posnanski wrote an interesting piece on Maradona/Argentina

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/07/03/el-diego/

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, I turned to the missus before the match began and said, "Iniesta is going to be the key player today."

The first half has ended and nothing has shifted either team off stalemate. Why? Because the ref is not blowing his whistle. There's been hardly any foul calls, so neither side has had an opportunity to mount any practice field moves.

Good football; time I got back to it.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

come on Germany

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Would have loved to seen Mueller out there (especially since his yellow was soft), but the best team on the day won. Pedro brought energy and was outstanding until not giving it to Torres for the kill shot. Germany aside from the Kross shot seemed devoid of ideas.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

out of ideas cuz they never had the ball. Spain were their old selves. Congrats to them.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Spain look stunning. I think they are the team to defeat the Dutch. I would have had a tough time rooting for Germany against The Netherlands -- history would have frowned at me -- but Spain? Nah.

I'm just hoping for Tyler-Okoku for the final match. I think I've more than had my fill of Darke-Harkes.

So, I'm guessing that the final deserves it's own thread, huh?

9. sullytex

sullytex Member

Spain deserved to win, absolutely no argument there. The Germans were able to move the ball around a bit, up to Spain's box, then zero. Spain controlled the ball for much of the match and could have won by more.

I think it will be an entertaining final.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Cool thing about the final is that neither team has ever won it so they'll both be playing that bit harder to earn their first star on their jersey.

11. IanHux

IanHux New Member

My backup team was Germany. Incredibly angered that they weren't better although Spain's performance really was expected. I just wonder how the game would have gone if the Germans would have connected with a couple of passes those few times they were actually able to counter..... ah well

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If such a thing is possible in football, then Spain played pretty much a perfect game against Germany -- very like our 3-0 defeat of Unted last year.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Spanish bombs in Durban arena, they're flying in off the head of Puuuuu-yyy-ol!!!!

Viva, Espana, viva!!

#1 - No personal animosity, just happy that Spain beat Germany
    #2 - I want to see the Spanish out-football the Dutch

This final is primed to be a footballing spectacle for the neutral - which means it'll probably end 0-0 and go to penalties.

Thinking back, we knew the U.S. defeat of Spain was huge at the time (undefeated streak and all) - but now, it looks even more massive.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'll be pulling for Le Oranje.

Did you know, on average, the tallest people in the world are Dutch?

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Word of advice to the german octipus that picked Spain...have your buddy the eel take the first bite of your next prediction, a bad clam might just "sneak" in the box.

17. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

My wife and I watched the Spain-Germany game at our local sports bar. We ended up sitting next to a guy from Spain who just arrived in California a week ago. Had a great time watching the game with him.

In the second half, I announced to my wife and our friend that I was going to help Spain score by going to use the rest room. I was still in there when I heard the crowd erupt out in the bar. I hope to try this at the Cottage some day.

18. sullytex

sullytex Member

Sacffc, that can backfire, the last time I bailed out to take a trip to the loo (my dad had to go, not me I swear, although the pre match pints at the lion had turned the whites of my eyes yellow) 2 minutes before half west ham scored 2 and we lost a man! That was the first and only time I ever dipped out for a single minute at the cottage!

19. sullytex

sullytex Member

Any thoughts on todays 3rd place match? I believe Germany will come out strong. My guess...Germany 3 Uruguay 2.

20. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

This is where I'd expect that "just happy to be here" mentality to benefit Uruguay. Germany will likely be underwhelmed since they're no longer playing for the title while Uruguay will be ending a strong run. Uruguay 3-2.