Watford v. Fulham - FA CUP

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Jan 6, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

So I hear we have 4,400+ fans heading to this away match...it should be a party and lets hope the singing spurs the boys on to victory!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

well, you may know me by now... what i will be looking for is CC's lineup

Now would be a good time to try Bocanegra in Center.

Put ANYONE, including Green or Rosenior, at Left.

If Boca cant cut it in center, he needs to go for his own sake.

3. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Watford V Fulham

My parents live walking distance from Vicarage road and my eldest son was born in Shrodells Hospital which overlooks the ground, I lived there for 16 years and worked at Odhams Watford, so have i have lots of friends including my best friend for over 30 years who are hornet fans, and have been there many a time. This game will be a typical January third round cup tie, Vicarage road this time of year cuts up something terrible, if it rains and it always does, the ground will get very heavy indeed, it will not be a place or game for faint hearts, it will not be won by nice football, which could be a negative for us, Steed will not like the conditions, it will be more of a game for the battlers, Boa will aslo struggle. This game will be won by the team who wants it the most and the team that is most fit, Watford players will all no doubt be looking at the tremendous semi final games they have with liverpool next week and the week after, and must believe with their current form that the game against fulham is a bonus but not one to break a leg in, so I expect that if Fulham plays even at 75% of potential which i truly believe they will because of the state of the pitch, i think they can still snatch the victory, I dont think Watford want a replay, with their league psosition and the semi finals coming up. Anyway I have some fond memories of Vicarage road, i was there in 83 with my friend at the Watford end, when Fulham scored, boy it was hard to hold my breath, I thought they would have killed me, but we were the minnows then, and they did us in the replay at the cottage. Anyway good point last night, it was important not to lose that one, and I think we can climb away from the bottom over the next few weeks.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Boca needs to play in the center of the defense. He has done ok at Left back but, Knight isnt a Premiership Defender and not England Defender. Boca should do better in the center of defense than Knight. Cole needs to get a match or 2 on the bench. He has been one of the worst players he cant finish he cant create maybe a match on the bench would help a little. John and Radz should start this match.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The clown writing for Skysports.com is predicting a 1-0 win for Watford. That my friends, is not gonna happen.

6. pettyfog

That's just a guy who looks at tables and numbers... he might do better (but probably wouldnt) at the track.

7. americanmike

Fact of the day (from Ron over in England)

Did you know that Watfords manager Ray Lewington used to play in Fulhams midfield in the middle eighties?

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yeah, back then Watford was considered the much better team. My how things have changed since then. I hope we win tomorrow. There is mention of this also in the Match Preview on the front page of FulhamUSA.com

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

We should by at least 2 goals. We have the way better team this is a match that Fulham should win.And out of all the teams why does Fulham get a Championship team?

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

At least they did not get a Premiership team to be honest with you. We should be fine tomorrow. No complacency though on Fulham's part.

11. americanmike

If you handn't noticed already, there will be matchday commentary!!! I guess there was some question if we'd have it or not...

Our team should look pretty interesting for today with so key players being rested...

12. americanmike

Boa Morte hits the post early on, around the 10th minute!

13. americanmike

15th minute, VDS makes a huge save...fully extended.

14. americanmike

Zat Knight Scores!!! Fulham up 1-0....off a header from a set piece, free kick from Mark Pembridge - 18th minute.

15. americanmike

1-1

Penalty in the Box on Fulham!! Noooooo!!! 1-1 Watford...crap. Helguson the scorer

16. americanmike

RE: 1-1

HT

17. americanmike

RE: 1-1

Full Time - Watford 1 -Fulham 1
    Fulham hits the post/crossbar 3 times.

Replay to be played at Craven Cottage. Date: TBD

18. pettyfog

I am not pleased...

Cookie essentially started the first team, FFC held possesion the first hallf, then Wankford came on stronger as the game wore on..

So Cookie obviously wanted the result, but couldnt pull it out to hold the ties down..

NOW this means another decision.. "play or rest the starters at the cottage in the replay?"

Not a good position to be in!

19. americanmike

Not at all, I'm quite dissapointed but I really am more concerned about our league position...I know this does effect who we play and our depth is crap thus we now will play West Brom Sunday, Watford Wednesday and then Birmingham Saturday...

Sounds like an interesting week...

20. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The replay is definitely something I was hoping to avoid. However, it is better than a loss. From the sounds of it, we might be lucky to have gotten the draw. Watford was on the attack a lot in the second half.
    Three matches in 6 days will be tough. Some of the youngsters like Rosenior and Fontaine, along with players like McBride are gonna have to step it up and play major roles in one or more of those matches.