USMNT v Sweden 1/24

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Didn't see a thread for it, so I guess I'll start it. We're less than a week away and I've seen little info. The match is airing on FSC (8:30 pm ET kickoff). Has anyone seen anything about the roster for this one? Safe bet the side won't include any of our guys in Europe since most are in action (except for the Bundesliga and Donovan).

2. tim

tim Active Member

Here's the list from the MNT site of players called to camp...anyone else going to the game?

UPDATED U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS: Jon Busch (Chicago Fire), Will Hesmer (Columbus Crew), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Matt Pickens (Colorado Rapids)

DEFENDERS: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Danny Califf (FC Midtjylland), Ugo Ihemelu (Colorado Rapids), Michael Parkhurst (AGF Aarhus), Chris Wingert (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS: Brian Carroll (Columbus Crew), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Jack Jewsbury (Kansas City Wizards), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire)

FORWARDS: Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, our Scandihoovian players are on winter break, so they're likely the only Europe-based guys to feature.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The Swedish team will be all domestic players, too. The game has the same purpose for both coaches - check out the domestic league players and see who might be good enough to join their Euro League stars.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, I spent the evening drinking wine and playing guitars and, when I got back, accidently deleted the match from my DVR instead of playing it. Here's my question? Did ANYBODY watch Mr. Klejstan cement his transfer to Celtic?

How did we look?

6. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

I just got to see about the first half hour or so. The free kick goal was a thing of beauty, probably the best free kick goal I have seen in my time watching US soccer. I haven't seen the third goal yet, and I didn't get to see anything after the first 35 minutes or so, so I can't comment on his or the team's performance as a whole. But Celtic and Bob Bradley both have to impressed. This just fits into a series of impressive performances for Kljestan. He's on a rapid rise. Bradley, Edu, Kljestan seems like it will be a tough choice for Bradley in CM in 2010.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I watched the whole game.

The first half was pretty blah aside from Sacha's free kick goal.

The second half had a lot more excitement. The guys that shined the most for the US were Sacha, Ching and Ricardo Clark (he was all over the midfield).

Davies got the start up top with Ching, but didn't do much. Kenny Cooper came into the game in the second half for Davies, but he didn't do much either.

Sweden looked much better in the second half once they added a couple subs who mad an impact.

8. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

Clark played well in the part of the game I saw too. Also, Wynne seemed pretty dangerous attacking from RB even before drawing the penalty.

9. LaxAttack

Pretty cool picture of Sacha's first goal (or should I say right after it).

[​IMG]

10. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

Very nice, the goal made #4 on Sportscenter's top plays. That's an accomplishment in and of itself considering how often soccer is on top plays.

11. tim

tim Active Member

second the comment on wynne; he made some great runs up the right side.

even when sacha wasn't scoring, he was dictating play from the middle. truly impressive game for him.

small but enthusiastic crowd out on a chilly (well, at least for southern california) night.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

"Celtic" Sacha and Mr. Marvelle-ous were my two most impressive. Ching had such a great pass and hand in Sacha's third goal, it should have almost been recorded as his goal.

Based on last night (and previously impressive action for the Red, White, & Blue), Sacha should have just played himself into the Starting XI (only second time in history an American has gotten a hattrick while scoring his first goal for the U.S.), and Marvelle Wynn should be getting serious consideration considering his absolutely dominating speed, tackling, and fairly decent crosses.

Biggest disspointment, no Holden. He brings another dimension. Biggest surprise, Chris Rolfe getting a run in.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Agree totally with whitesbhoy concerning Marvelous. I like 'dolo but I hope Bradley seriously cconsiders starting Wynne at RB. Even when Sweden was offsides they couldnt beat him. He is quickly becoming my fav on the US team. Also echo the sentiments regarding Ching (nothing new there) and Sasha. Bradley is going to have difficulty choosing a starting MF against Mexico after the way Sasha has been playing.

14. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

I agree with you guys about Wynne. I think at this point I would stick with Dolo based purely on experience. But that's subject to change. Wynne definitely has the higher ceiling, and he's coming on fast. Have there been any rumors of him going to Europe?
    Ching's control of that ball on the third goal was amazing. If I had 20 tries, I don't think I could control it that well...even without coping with 2 defenders. And the layoff to Kljestan had to be pinpoint, and was. Unbelievable.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The word on Wynne going to Europe is that he has great pace and attacks well. Unfortunately, it's also said that any top quality left winger in England, Germany, France, Italy, or Spain could turn him inside out. The problem is, there's no real left-wing quality in the MLS for him to press him. If he comes to Europe, it'd probably be to Scandinavia. Holland's overall quality is a step up over Denmark, etc. and his talent level would work there, but they have mega butt-loads of talented wingers there to eat him up.

16. LaxAttack

I think Wynne does look good going forward (he is damn fast), but he makes me nervous when someone is going one-on-one against him. As Don said, he can get turned inside out somewhat easily. He also seems like he commits a lot of fouls, almost too physical at times.

His touch/crossing is also eh after he makes those great runs.

He has the wow factor, but 'Dolo (who is not flashy) is more solid in the all-around game.

17. LaxAttack

18. USAFulhamFan

USAFulhamFan New Member

Well then, I'd like to see him get to Holland or somewhere similar as soon as possible so that he can start to learn.
    I've always liked Dolo. Seems like his only problem is he is a little short, and Wynne doesn't have much size on him.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

How else is he going to learn and advance? Go Marvelle, and if your work rate is anything close to your pace, you'll figure it out before Don ever gets me his first set of BeersWith questions for this season.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator