USMNT Roster for September Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Aug 29, 2013.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Squad was announced today. No Goodson, Klestjan, Corona or Torres. Brooks, Orozco and Johannsson called in. All things relative, the squad is fairly strong these days when recent regular starters are omitted (justly or not). Now get at least 4 points and seal qualification. D@#mmit!

USMNT WORLD CUP QUALIFYING ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDER- DaMarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, John Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Edgar Castillo, Brad Evans, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Orozco

MIDFELDERS- Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Aron Johannsson, Eddie Johnson

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

About what you would expect for the most part. I bet Klinsi's XI will be:

Howard
    Evans-Gonzalez-Besler-Beasley
    Donovan-Bradley-Jones-F. Johnson
    Dempsey
    Altidore

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

About the only thing that surprises me is Goodson's absense after his Gold Cup performance. He is not injured is he?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Three real strikers -- not bad. It would be good to see Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore, and EJ on the pitch at the same time for at least a half.

I think this is put up or shut up time for Gonzalez. I haven't seen the player many of you have been raving about for quite a while now. I like Besler, though.

I'd like to see Cameron and Bradley as a center-mid pairing. I do NOT want to see Jones under any circumstances. I think if he starts, we stand an excellent chance of finishing with 10 men.

I think it's interesting that our two fullbacks will probably be a winger and a midfielder in real life.

I guess I like

-------------- Guzan ------------------

Evans --- Besler -- Gonzo -- Da Beas

------- Cameron -- Bradley ----------

Donovan ------------------- Dempsey

--------- EJ --------- Jozy ------------

5. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Disappointed that the two Quakes (Wondolowski and Goodson) aren't there. I still think Wondo should be on the WC squad to be a second half substitute.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree. I like both players

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I think where the US sits in the standings is a big factor on why these two aren't going. With the prospects of getting to the WC looking great, Johannsson and Brooks must see the pitch in order to solidify their USMNT commitment, friendlies don't count. The Quakes also are fighting for a playoff spot and would miss an important match.

Assuming they'll be in Brazil next summer I do have to commend JK on doing exactly as he promised and that is increasing the talent pool and making it a very competitive environment in order to make the squad.

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Agree with Joe. I'd like to see Goodson, but you have to give Johansson a look over Wondo, especially when you consider the other circumstances for these qualifiers. There's no one else on that forward line I'd play him over, especially when you consider Donovan and EJ are more likely to play wide.

9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Agree with Goodson. I'll take him any day over Castillo.

I'm still not sold on Wondo. Seems to be feast or famine. Without the hat trick versus Belize (a team that has two full time pros), he only put in two goals in the Gold Cup.

I'm a big fan of Cameron. I don't know exactly where he fits but he's always productive on the pitch.

10. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

I agree that Johannsson should get another look and I also agree that Wondo has to show more if he wants to go to Brazil. I just hope he gets another chance.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

As a Quakes' supporter and season ticket holder, I will try to be objective, and I am puzzled by the Goodson exclusion, but not so much Wondo's. Wondo was simply a victim of numbers, while I think Goodson may have been intentionally left off for reasons stated above, and who knows what else (i.e., SJ asking not to lose him again for two weeks). However, Goodson is a superior and more experienced defender than a number of folks on that squad. It's a shame, but good for my Quakes.

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Still don't get Beckerman. Would still like to see more of Cameron at midfield. Feel bad for Goodson and Sacha, they've had a heck of a summer for us. Excited to see Landon, Clint, Jozy and Eddie together at last. Still gonna need some defenders, don't know what the answer is gonna be between now and Brazil. Gonzalez is still a question mark for me also, despite his rep. I understand why they want to get Brooks in there for the future, but how does he really fit into our immediate plans? And Jones IS on a collision course for a crucial red card.
    The only variable is time. The offensive possibilities are mouth watering, to say the least.

13. jumpkutz

14. jumpkutz

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator