usa v honduras

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

is it just me, or has anyone else been having difficulty following this year's tournament?

i think its the constant roster changes, but i just cant devote myself 100-percent.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I am admitedly worried about the Final. I can see no good come out of it. If we win, we validate the "CONCACAF is weak" arguments by winning with our 'B/C' team and if we lose, we allow Mexico to break our home winning record against them and gain momentum for the Aug 12th game. I'd much rather have played Costa Rica.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I have watched every minute of every match thanks to my DVR.

4. EricD

EricD New Member

Holden would still be in Europe if he did not get attacked in Newcastle (I know it is old news). He is playing in great form, and I think Sacha should be really worried about his spot.

I thought our forwards were falling a lot. This has to stop. Davies figured this out early, and it worked out better for him. I am getting tired of Arnoud. I think he can bring some nice energy off the bench for this team, but I am not sure what else.

5. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Putting something on record that I think all of us are thinking.

That being said - if we can hold em - or be up a goal into the 70th minute... We will be fine. If you watched the Mexico game last night they really slowed down and got sloppy at that point.

They have a few of their first team guys, but they are playing the bench as well. I dont know - we will just have to see.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good points by everyone above, myself excluded.

While finding the initial matches tough to get into (until Feilhaber was subbed in!), I've been very excited about the past two matches (whether that is attributable to my love for the USMNT or, and more likely, my consumption of myriad libations during the matches is debatable...see my above post, geez).

In my book, Holden has jumped ahead of Sacha, Torres and Adu with his play and I'm excited to see him get a chance with the "A" team.

I agree with 'fog that Bob's detractors haven't had much to harp about...but I still reserve my rights to complain about his roster selection for the trip to Azteca! :banana:

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Ching has always been a favourite of mine (Bobby Z was too so maybe I dont place as much emphasis on "scoring" as the rest of you guys do :wink: ). However, if the USA finds itself so rich in forwards with good hold up play and reliable finishing that they dont need the services of my dear Mr. Ching then not only will I support his staying at home in 2010, I will celebrate the moment.

I agree with Don about Perkins being the second choice in 2010. He is having a fantastic tourney, I totally trust him in the net. If you threw my firstborn infant child at him I wouldnt be concerned.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm with BarryP, except for the minutes lost to the power flop in the Panama match, I've watched every match closely, and enjoyed them all. I've especially enjoyed watching players I've seldom or never seen play before -- Goodson springs to mind -- and I've enjoyed the continued rehabilitation of careers in Feilhaber and Pearce. I've gotten a better understanding of the strength of Americans who ply their trade in the U.S. where they usually aren't the focus of their teams -- Ching and Cooper may be the exceptions here, and I really admire the fact that Bradley has kept such good tabs on these 2nd and 3rd tier players that he's able to field an 11 AND a bench with only one player from the Confederation Cup squad and still give us creative, attractive, and WINNING football. I also think that it is this extensive knowledge of the quality that resides in the MLS is what we get with an American coach that we wouldn't get with a serial international coach-for-hire like Hiddink or Multinovic.

And, ...
    That, ladies and germs, is an endorsement from the Big Boys and Big Girls School of Endorsements!

yowzah!

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

well gee, i guess i don't love America then. sorry guys!

10. nevzter

That's right, go back to Russia!!!

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Just out of curiosity Mo how big is your first born at this point in time? Just wondering if we should be at all concerned for Perkins.

12. nevzter

Slipping on my "instigator" fedora...

Brian Ching. Possibly my favorite Earthquake ever. I think enough of him to believe he should have dominated the past two teams, and aside from his back heel, I didn't see it from him. Maybe he's still recovering from injury, but he looks slower than usual too. Regardless, I take him over Casey everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

When the USMNT forwards actually scored in matches for the "A" team, i.e. the Confed Cup, the team looked tough to beat. I know BC will start in Azteca, and if he can hold it up, I like the thought of Davies and Donovan playing off him. Still, the dude's got to bury his chances or else it's hard to justify starting him at the expense of a more talented mid and pushing Demps up top.

As for Perkins, he's done well, but did everybody forget about Guzan's recent showing in South Africa? There's a reason Guzan is in the Prem and Perkins is still eating pickled herring and reading Hans Christian Andersen. The best thing is that he's probably played his way into a bigger league - and after that, we can discuss whether he's the #2 over Guzan.

What else...oh yeah, USA! USA! USA! USA!

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

He's about 5'5" so that would be a bit much, but I think Howard could deflect him over the crossbar.