USA Olympic Squad

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 28, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I was shocked that Feilhaber was not included.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm pretty jazzed to see the kids in action. Altidore and Adu are big reasons to watch, but I also have tremendous respect for one Jonathan Spector, who I still have a hard time believing is only just 22 as of March 1st!!

Up the Red, Whites, & Blue!!!

3. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

US Olympic Qualifying Squad

Here is the squad by position...

GOALKEEPERS (2): Dominic Cervi (out of contract), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Hunter Freeman (New York Red Bulls), Kamani Hill (Vfl Wolfsburg), Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United), Nathan Sturgis (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Sal Zizzo (Hannover 96)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)

I'm ignorant to the Olympic Qualifying formate because I didn't really start following soccer until the 2006 World Cup, but I noticed that no senior (23 and over) internationals were on the squad.

Are you only allowed three wild cards after you qualify??? If so, let the speculation begin...

The only thing I feel strongly about is that one of the three spots has to be a goaltender, Guzan or Howard.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

RE: US Olympic Qualifying Squad

Yes, wild cards are after you qualify. Some speculating was done on page one. Mine were a goal keeper, Gooch, and Dempsey (dont want to use Beasley b/c he'd be returning from injury).

5. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Yeah I know, but now that it is actually upon us I thought it would be appropriate again. Thanks for the answer...I like the choices.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Speculation abounds about the wild cards. Playing the contrarian card, again, it won't be Gooch because he and Standard Liege are on the boil and creating distance from second place Cherleroi or Anderlecht or whoever. Dempsey won't be chosen because he is involved with Fulham's fight for their Premiership footy life (and isn't he a bit too old?)!

A goalkeeper sounds like a solid pick, especially if Sietz lets a few in these first few matches. I look for Guzan to further establish his uber-Keeper credentials. Maybe Feilhaber gets the nod here, and then......I don't know, a Defender??? (Or, Eddie Johnson???? Nah.)

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am really looking forward to watching some of the young guys play tonight! I have not seen the U-23's play but there seems to be some interesting offensive combinations available for the US. Based on the options above I would love to see Charlie Davis get a run out next to Jozy and a center mid combination of Adu and Edu. It would give us a nice mix of speed in Davis and Adu and size in Edu and Jozy.

8. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Hear hear! to Charlie Davies playing a big role, says the absurdly biased Boston College fan

9. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Re: RE: US Olympic Qualifying Squad

Will their domestic leagues matter FFC??? I am probably wrong, but I didn't think so since the current seasons will all be over by the time the Olympics are held.

As Mo clarified, you don't get your wild cards until after you qualify, and the Olympics are in August and won't coincide with the current or even upcoming European seasons...I could be wrong though. If I am right though, I like the idea of Guzan, Dempsey, and Gooch.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

RE: Re: RE: US Olympic Qualifying Squad

One of the articles on DuNord today said Spector would not be joining the team right away and that Nowack was experimenting with Edu as a defensive back. If that is true we look a little light a midfield.

11. Clevelandmo

the games are in early September

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Glad to see Dax get a start tonight.

If anyone else is around I am going to hang out in the chat room for the game.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Chat Room!!!

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

1-1 at half-time

15. BarryP

BarryP New Member

1-1 final score

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A quick summary. Adu & McCarty played well. Altidore only played the first half. Kamani Hill looked good on the right. US dominated play but only nets one. Davies is a diver. Cuba scored on one of two chances.

17. Clevelandmo

and once again the announcers were insufferable, if only . . . ..

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Glad my boy Dax played well. Sorry to have missed the match. Tuesday evenings are hardly ever my own.

About Spector, he's back in The Spam's starting lineup since the injury bug nailed one of their defenders for the rest of the season. They're about to lynch Curbishly, so I'm not surprised he got called back.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Spector did not start last night, and LB was a glaringly weak position for our squad. Overall, it was not a good match for Our Boys. Dax gained some points in my book. Altidore looked like he could take over the match with a little more work. And Adu was easily the M.O.M., as he pretty much controlled the creativity and pace of game.

Findley needs alot more practice.

Big-Ups to BarryP, for joining me in the chatroom. A true USA Soccer Fan!!!

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The chatroom is my lifeline to other soccer fans Christian and I enjoyed the company last night!