1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks for your insight -- especially the Aggie with the sports simile of the year. We've learned with Fulham that sometimes the WORST thing we can do is get a very early goal on the road.

I wish I could say "I told you so" about Beckerman, but EVERYBODY that posted had reservations about him. If we really don't need THREE defensive mids, and I think all of you believe we don't, then surely he's the guy we could lose. If you need another creative midfielder in there, that's what Spector has been doing for most of the last two seasons.

Here's hoping a channel I can actually record has Tuesday's match. Yes, I'll miss it "live" -- choir practice [and NOT in the Joseph Wambaugh sense].

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Who let Beckeman near the Gatorade? :cool:

Speaking of whom, Jones, Rastamaan, Edu??? That's 3 holding mids who are supposed to transform themselves into something they aren't?? Tuesday could be squeaky bum time.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

If Don won't say I told you so about Beckerman I will.

However, the finger pointing should not end at Beckerman because Jones and Edu were both equally brutal in trying to keep possession. How you can flood the midfield with players and see so little of the ball I cannot understand. If the US can't find anyone other than the those three available to play CM I can be hired to scout for the USMNT. I am beginning to wonder how good Michael Bradley would look if he had someone competent playing next to him and any discussion regarding the key man in the US team need to include Bradley's name.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Tuesday IS squeaky bum time.

MB must've shaved his head 3 times by now in frustration after watching that tripe last night...

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Agree Nev, Tuesday is defnitely squeaky bum time, and we need to bring it...big time.

6. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

:lol:
    One of my dad's favorite lines..."Who dat say who dat when I say who dat?! :cool:

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

May I remind everyone that Klinsmann was the mastermind behind Toronto FC the last two years. You know the team that stubbornly adhered to a playing style and a 4-3-3 despite the calamities on the field. Oh yes but we have been epic in some friendlies.

There is almost no point in discussing the ins and outs of the game, Beckerman jumping spread eagle like a cheerleader and that stuff, because we have a coach with his head in the clouds (and that is putting it nicely for Heather's sake). If we qualify for the WC, I will consider it lucky. He is not preparing this team properly for that goal.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Putting it nicely for my sake? Why? The only times I have defended Klinsmann and the American-Germans is when I think you're being very unfair in your criticism of them. It's been been clear from the start you never liked him and have been looking to criticize every little thing about the guy whether it's fair or not. Look back at everything I said about Klinsmann, especially after he was hired. I said I liked him as a player but was unsure about his management of a team. I think there have been some positives with the teams play in friendlies and some stubbornness on his part to start 3 holding mids that are just not very good (mostly Beckerman and Edu) in matches that count. Jones plays decent once in a blue moon, but is too erratic. We're mostly hurting right now because youth players are not coming in with the same quality as the old guard that we still are too dependent on (Donovan, Dempsey, Howard, Dolo, and Boca). Only Bradley has been a consistent young player over the past few years, that's it.

And who knows what Toronto FC problems are, he was a consultant...not a manager nor an owner...but a consultant. Toronto FC is a red herring to the debate as to whether or not he's a good manager. A more relevant point to the discussion is his time at Bayern Munich, which made me nervous about his hiring. But I said I would give him time to determine whether or not he would be a good fit. It's not over yet.

I think one of the things you will have noticed about me is I like to give everyone a chance to come through, I try not to get myself too emotionally invested in sports and sometimes that's very hard to do. But when you really think of it, do these athletes or coaches really care about your particular opinion, thoughts, or emotions? Nope, so I caution myself with that thought. Wins are good to celebrate and losses may make me feel down, but ultimately the teams are still there in the end. And I'll keep hoping for the wins no matter what, and hope the coach gets it right. That's all I can do.

9. SoCalJoe

Let's see what kind of adjustments are made on Tues. There is an alarming gulf in the midfield (I was worried about the backline :shock: ), and frankly we are desperate for the return of Bradley, and will have to pray Holden is back for the second round. I know it's not a foregone conclusion the boys will advance, but still think they'll get 9 points in their last 3 matches.

Mo, I certainly have reservations about what is JK is doing, and he deserves every bit of criticism he's getting at the moment, but blaming him for the fiasco at Toronto? As a consultant? That's like blaming the guy in the crow's nest for the sinking of the Titanic for not seeing the iceberg soon enough. Klinnsman is not some mystical all powerful being that has control over everything he touches.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I so wanted to be wrong about JK, but I'm afraid I was correct. Who makes his squad and who doesn't is more an indictment of the narrowness of his vision than who starts and who is on the bench. When lower division players from the BL get selected while Premier League players don't you have a raise an eyebrow. When the top American strikers in the MLS are not selected while others are, you have to raise yet another eyebrow.

I so wanted to be wrong about JK, but I'm afraid I was correct. He's a dilettante who is too lazy to scout Americans out of his direct field of vision.

11. SoCalJoe

No use crying over spilt milk, turn the page, can't do anything about yesterday, the sun will rise tomorrow...OK, got the cliche quota out of the way.

It's in Columbus, no losing sight on what tomorrow's date means to Americans, ZERO excuse not to be first to every ball. To all the lucky ones going to the match w/family and friends, have a great time, and be sure to fill us in on the atmosphere and the play from a live perspective. USA, USA!!!

12. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

So, not only could I not post a game summary (partially due to Al-Jazeera screwing up the channel guide and causing me to watch separate portions of two DVR'd time slots to actually see the whole game - but mostly due to sheer disgust) but I couldn't even think about it for a couple days.
    Bad.
    Three def MF is never gonna work - we had zero possession. We've seen that look (especially with Edu playing further forward) fail before. Learn from your mistakes, Klinsi. The more I see Edu, the more I realize that he's a good athlete with limited technical ability. Torres needs to be in there (where are you, Stu Holden?) with the other two CM being the ball winners, and Germany Jones playing a Kevin Prince-Boateng advanced destroyer role in front of Torres and one of the other two. Needless to say - we miss Bradley in there.
    Danny Williams still has shown nothing.
    Parkhurst mostly plays RB for his club team, so I won't nitpick there. Still would've had Lichaj there (and Spector at home).
    I liked the change with Boyd/Shea coming on, then I realized that Brek Shea's body has been abducted and taken over by aliens who've never played soccer. WTF? Surely he's on meth or something? Has he been playing that poorly all year? (sorry FCD fans). His development has gone off the rails somehow.
    Timmy couldn't have done much about those free kicks - Beckerman didn't help him on the first, and the second was very well taken.

Ok, C-Bus - this team needs some help. Gotta win this one....

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The thing is that Edu works VERY well with Bradley, but he need a more creative central mid than he has right now. The other thing is that the team relies on Bradley, Holden, and Donovan to feed the strikers and keep the defense honest. Count how many of those three are available tomorrow.

I would be tempted to drop Dempsey back to midfield in favor of a 4-4-2 with Altidore and Gomez starting up front. Clint is always going to get his goals, but his creativity is needed much more in our depleted midfield.

ESPN2 this time, SBG, so you should be able to check it out and send Ms. Heather a good match report.

COYRWB

14. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Yeah - agree that getting some possession and creativity in the MF is key. Whether it's Torres, dropping Deuce back, or rubbing horse placenta on Stu's knee - any of these are better than putting three CDMs out there.

15. BarryWhite

I've looked this roster over and tried to figure out where the creativity and possession is going to come from with this group of midfielders and I see a couple of possibilities but there is one that I think I prefer. I have obviously not seen the practices and I think there is very little chance we will see this line-up but here is what I am picturing:

Howard

Dolo-Cameron-Boca-Johnson

Edu

Zusi - Torres - Dempsey

Gomez- Altidore

There are the names and here is the why. With Goodson serving a suspension the defense picks itself if the Dolo is healthy. He gives the US a wide attacking presence on the right to compliment Johnson on the left that Parkhurst simply will not provide. Sitting Edu in front of the back four will allow either fullback to get forward and putting three midfielders in front of him capeable of transitioning the team into the offensive half takes the pressure off of Edu to get forward and allows him to focus on his strongest attribute and that is playing defense.

Zusi, Torres and Dempsey will offer little width but I am counting on Dolo and Johnson to keep the pitch spread. What I want from these three is once the defense wins a ball is to keep it and transition the team into the offensive end. I would be thrilled to death if Torres didn't take a shot all evening but fed ball after ball to Dempsey, Gomez and Altidore in dangerous positions. If instead he turns into the invisible man I would resort to turning Dempsey into my facilitator by inserting Shea on the left wing and moving Dempsey centrally. I really would prefer to have Clint getting on the end of things rather than pulling the strings in the middle of the park but if Torres can't get the job done Clint may have to carry the load with Bradley and Donovan unavailable.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Looks good to me.

17. SoCalJoe

Good stuff Barry. I don't see how JK would keep Jones out of the lineup however, Edu's lack of match fitness compared to the 'Red Card Waiting to Happen' would exclude him. Not even going to pretend to know anything about Zusi (did laugh out loud on Shiner's alien abduction of Shea comment). Tater Torres hasn't played too well in recent appearances, but here is another opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if Clint didn't go to JK and volunteered to play a more creative role. Good quote by Timmy and Der Kaiser's comment had the opposite effect, I'm worried :pray:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/nam ... 81?cc=5901

18. BarryWhite

I really don't see Jones being excluded either and expect to see two defensive mids.

19. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

"I wouldn't be surprised if Clint didn't go to JK and volunteered to play a more creative role."

Clint's best position has always been attacking mid, so hopefully JK will get it right tonite!!!

COUSMNT!!

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Here we go:

----------------Gomez----------------------------
    -----------------------------Dempsey-----------
    --Torres----Jones-----WIlliams-----Zusi----
    Johnson--Bocanegra---Cameron---Cherundolo
    --------------------------Howard----