US MNT wins "Best Upset" award

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/460/7086

I could care less about the ESPY awards but I still consider this a big victory in terms of recognition for the team (even if their best competition was a horse). I might actually watch the award show just to see what they say about the game and to hear what the players say when they accept the award (Donovan, Dempsey, Boca, Borenstein, Josy, and Sasha were there, I think)

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Funny little award, but still cool that it was voted on by your "average" sports fan.

3. BC

BC New Member

Nice! That win really got attention across the US. Even my local paper, which very, very rarely has a snippet about the USMNT or European football, had an entire story about the Spain win. Just think if we'd beaten Brazil...

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I caught the award presentation last night. Bocanegra spoke first and did the standard "thanks to the coach, the fans, etc." He then handed it over to Donovan who started with some stuff about winning with heart and then gave a great line (paraphrasing):

"I just look forward to the day when other teams get this kind of award for beating us."

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: US MNT wins "Best Upset" award

Thanks for posting, I forgot to watch it.

Mandon strikes again

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Re: RE: US MNT wins "Best Upset" award

Soccer coverage in the San Antonio paper is way up as well. And not just USMNT stuff. I really thought after the Confed Cup it would return to normal, but so far they're continuing an increased level of coverage.