US March WCQ: vs. Honduras and Panama

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by LaxAttack, Mar 15, 2017.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Probably a fair result and a useful point against a very organized Panama side. Hard to get overly critical considering the amount of injuries.

• He wasn't getting any service, but Jozy looks 10-15 lbs too heavy.
    • Pulisic has got some fiestiness, Panama tried to get under his skin from the opening whistle. The goal he set up was as much desire as it was technique. He would've added a great goal from that tremendous Villafana hustle play if it was for the defender who managed to get in the way of the goal bound volley.
    • Biggest PLUS of the night. Jay DeMerit in, Rongen out of the booth. Thought Jay really gave insight to the X's and O's for a lack of a better term to what was happening on the pitch.

BarryWhite likes this.
  2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

It's been a short time for Bruce at the helm but the one thing that needs fixing from both matches is the link up play from the back line to the front. Bradley is dropping very deep, perhaps too deep, and there has been nobody in the middle of the park to fill gaps and help move the ball forward consistently. I thought both matches were crying out for a Benny Feilhaber to be honest.

Having said that I'll take the point and hope for better but if anyone has a spare time travel device laying around I would appreciate it you could pick up Claudio Reyna and drop him off at StubHub for Bruce.

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wasn't able to see the match, although it's recorded. Day 9 of broken television, ya know. I tracked the match via Guardian play-by-play -- very entertaining.

My biggest concern is Dempsey playing the full 90 in both matches. This is a very tough way to stress-test a heart condition. Believe me, I know whereof I speak.

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

HD, Arena eluded to being very careful with Duece before the matches. Then the injuries to Wood & Morris, Clint scoring 4 goals, and Jozy looking and acting like he wasn't at full fitness (the PC way of saying chubby) kind of dealt Arena with no other option. I'm sure the Sounders manager isn't the happiest camper this morning.

BarryWhite likes this.
  5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Bradley/Jones just didn't have it last night. The central midfield was super stretched in front of a semi-makeshift back line.

That all said, got 4 of 6 points this break, which was needed.

BarryWhite likes this.
  6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Bradley/Jones didn't really work - seemed spread thin all of the time and then no bite in the offensive third.

Pulisic - ok, I'm on the bandwagon. Dude looked like he'd previously played in a dozen CONCACAF WC qualifiers on foreign soil - the above comments are true, he was a hard ass and Panama tried to rough him up but he did not back down an inch - he even went after somebody late in the match. I like that.

Also, need that creativity in the middle b/w the back and front - it was lacking and I can think of a few people to fill that role.

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.