US bid for World Cup 2018 or 2022

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Bradical, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Bradical

Bradical Member

2. Bradical

Bradical Member

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have heard that the Alamodome is one of the suggested venues. Bad idea.

1. domed stadium
    2. concrete floor
    3. astroturn covering

It's my understanding that FIFA want real grass and sunshine.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Seems they simply listed the biggest one or two stadiums in every major city in the country. So well its nice to see the new UofM Football stadium listed I doubt the list means anything at this point.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I am happy to see Rice Stadium on there. A pretty location and it is right across the street from the medical center - convenient for the players that will suffer heat stroke from playing in the Houston heat and humidity.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I laughed when I saw that Kinnick Stadium was on there.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not to mention breathing the air. Houston: where a swamp meets a petrochemical industry!

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Re: RE: US bid for World Cup 2018 or 2022

Yeah, that'll happen. :roll: We do have a sweet bigazz HD videoboard that would be cool for replays, but that and seating capacity are about all we bring to the table.

Can't believe they even wasted breath on the Alamodome. Has a WC match ever been played in a dome? Blasphemy!

9. Bradical

Bradical Member

Re: RE: US bid for World Cup 2018 or 2022

Yes! In 1994, four Group Stage matches were played in the Silverdome. The US played Switzerland in the first indoor WC match ever. They laid sod out on pallets on top of the AstroTurf. The venue certainly helped the US smash the overall attendance record.

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge would be awesome cause it's big and the fans would be close to the playing field... the stadium would be very loud as well because of it's bowl design.

Upteen times better than Kyle Field. Gig it :)

Games were played indoors in Germany as well... at Gelsenkirchen. Phoenix and Dallas would play their games indoors for sure.

If the Netherlands gets another Euro or World Cup, they might also have an indoor venue since a couple of their new stadiums are indoor arenas. Same goes for Norway and Sweden.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm for Tiger Stadium. If Germany plays there, we can put Ballack in the cage out in front. He'd have lovely company.

As for indoor stadia, I could have sworn that FIFA have banned artificial turf for the WC. Is this not true?

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yes, but there are ways to play on grass indoors. I forgot to mention Japan used a dome in 2002 as well.