Top Goalkeepers in the Premiership

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by dstriker, Mar 8, 2007.

1. dstriker

dstriker New Member

Hey Guys....I am currently working on a project and need a little help.
    I'll start with the goalkeepers. If you had to name the 10 best goalkeepers in the Premiership who would they be??
    I know of the obvious ones
    Cech
    VanderSar
    Lehman

but what about some more???

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think the most consistent keeper all season has been Brad Friedel. I'd also add Paddy Kenny and Calamity James.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

When he's not recovering from his spleen nearly being torn out, I have to go with Seamus Given.

Let's not forget our own Superhero, Antii Niemi.

Honestly, consistency is the bread and butter of any decent keeper, so nearly all Prem keeps fit the bill.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Surprisingly, I think among the weakest in the Prem is the England 'keeper. Robinson is woefully erratic. Don't you think?

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

My top ten keepers are as follows (in no particular order)

Petr Cech (Chelsea)- probably the best keeper in the league

Edwin Van Der Sar (Manchester United)- great all-around keeper.

Ben Foster (Watford)- England's future #1

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal)- his antics are a bit much at times, but he has been solid and consistent for Arsenal for the last few seasons. And for Germany in the World Cup.

David James (Portsmouth) - He has had a great season at Portsmouth. He is known for making "calamitous" mistakes for both club and country, but he is a solid keeper.

Shay Given (Newcastle) - While not having the best defenders in front of him, Given has proven throughout his time at Newcastle to be a good keeper for the Magpies and Ireland. He probably does not get the recognition he deserves.

Tim Howard (Everton) - Howard proved he had what it takes in his first season at Manchester United. While he dipped in form the last few seasons on the bench, he has resurrected his career at Everton and has done a great job.

Brad Friedel (Blackburn) - While a bit slow of foot, the American is a force in front of net. I have seen him single-handedly keep Blackburn in matches. He rarely makes major mistakes and is a model on consistency for Blackburn.

Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton) - Strong presence in front of net and like Friedel has the ability to alter a game by himself. With both Bolton and Blackburn relying heavily on their defense to keep them in games, these two keepers have excelled and are in the top ten keepers in the league.

Thomas Sorensen (Aston Villa) - The Dane may not be Peter Schmeichel, but he is a strong force in goal for the Villans. He is quick, agile and can get to most any ball shot his way.

Runners-up:
    Paul Robinson (Tottenham)
    Pepe Reina (Liverpool)
    Antti Niemi (Fulham)

6. dstriker

dstriker New Member

I would agree Don..from what I've seen I think you're spot on concerning Robinson.

Solid list Tom...

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I mostly agree with Tom, but I would put Chris Kirkland (when not injured) ahead of Sorensen, Friedel, Lehmann and Howard.

James is having a really solid season and has looked very good for Pompey, at present he would be my England shot stopper.

Robinson is having a bad run, but had a real purple patch to get into the England team. Foster looks good, but, sadly for England, will go an benchwarm for Man U next season.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Top Goalkeepers in the Premiership

Kirkland is good but the man has had the worst luck with injuries the last few seasons. Fortunately he is still young enough to overcome those injuries.

9. AkronBen

AkronBen New Member

RE: Re: RE: Top Goalkeepers in the Premiership

I have to disagree with your "Top 10 List" @ChicagoTom. While I really like Tim Howard, he isn't even the best keeper in Merseyside. Pepe Reina is much proven keeper. Yes, Tim makes more saves, but thats because he has the unfortunate predicament of playing for the Toffees.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Top Goalkeepers in the Premiership

What has Reina done that makes him so much more "proven?" He is NOT the Spanish #1, he has not led his team to the Champions League final, etc. I am not saying Howard has either, but to simply say he is proven because he is on a bigger and better team is wrong.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

It's splitting hairs to be sure but...

Most Underated; Jaaskelainen, the goal seems a lot smaller when he's between the pipes

Most Overated; Lehman, this guy is fun to watch because he is a powder keg and the fuse is burning constantly, I think his game has slipped this season.

Most Improved; Howard, would by lying to say I'm not biased, but he has stuck it out after being benched (if only Landon would have the same gumption), kept working and has established himself as our No. 1 (though I regard Friedel as still our best)

Most Missed; Niemi; I know what Josie has been saying, but watching Lastvodka skate back there as made me long for Antii.

Best Overall; I'd probably change my mind tomorrow, but before he was hurt it has to be Cech.

12. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

no one is giving any love to Marcus Hahnemann??

1 edwin van der sar 392 15 Manchester United
    2 marcus hahnemann 382 17 Reading
    3 david james 369 23 Portsmouth
    4 jose reina 363 26 Liverpool
    5 tim howard 353 29 Everton

this is according to... http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?c ... l%20Keeper

13. AkronBen

AkronBen New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Top Goalkeepers in the Premiership

Your right, Pepe was edged out of the #1 spot in Barcelona and Spain by Valdes. He has won the #1 keeper since transfering to Liverpool. Carson, Kirkland and Dudek haven't been able to take the #1 spot from him. He has the added pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool, being in the top four in the EPL and in Champions League play year after year. He had a record number of clean sheets last year.

In contrast to Howard, who was brought over from the MLS to Manchester United, was given the opportunity to succeed at a top club and had to be replaced by Van Der Sar. He has done well since coming to Everton.

So both were given the opportunity to succeed at top clubs, Reina is the only one who is still the #1 and Howard has moved on. I don't think that statement is wrong. And I am not against Tim in any way, it is just the facts.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought Pepe Reina was the best keeper in the Prem LAST season, but he hasn't looked as convincing the half-dozen or so times I've seen him on the tube this year.

Paddy Kenny, James, Jaaskelinan, Friedel, and Kirkland [not necessarily in that order] have really impressed me this season.

15. youngned

youngned New Member

Marcus H at Reading has to be in Top Ten. He used to be No 2 at Fulham behind Maik Taylor

16. BC

BC New Member

I haven't been able to watch enough matches of each Prem keeper to say anything with authority. However, based on casual observation, my fellow Yanks Howard and Hanneman have done quite well. Chech is good as always although it pains me to complement any player from Chelski. And our own Superhero has come up with some great saves this season although he has an inconsistent defence in front of him.

17. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

The shear fact that only one or two people mentioned Reina is a crime.

Pepe had more clean sheets than anyone else in the prem and I believe his closest competitor was 5 behind him. Plus did anyone miss the CL semi final?

Besides him I would say...Foster, James, Van der Sar and Cech...won't say Lehmann because his antics are obnoxious.