to the So-Calers

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by tim, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tim

tim Active Member

Hey guys,

Last minute notice, but just had a friend bail on me and now have an extra ticket to tomorrow night's Galaxy match. Let me know if you're interested.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wish I could, but hosting a bbq tomorrow night. All of us better get together soon at the F&H it's been entirely too long.

3. JCFulham

JCFulham New Member

Hi guys,

Just doing a bit of research... Are there many SoCal Fulham fans on here?

I there's a few of us on the 'Fulham Exiles' site that meet up for a few games ect and I thought I'd do a little research to see how many fans we have in the LA/OC area as I'd like to watch games together more often.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the guys on here.

I'm a Lifelong Fulham fan that relocated from England to Newport Beach 2 years ago.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Welcome to the site JC. There is quite a few SoCal members registered here and a few from that area that lurk about from what I can tell from the site's analytics. If you guys post a pub to meet at regularly on the board I'm sure it may get some interest. Cheers!

5. SoCalJoe

Welcome JC! As Heather said we had a larger contingent of regular posters at the height of Fulamerica (there was a CPA from Newport Beach, but haven't heard from him since this site was hacked and down for a long time). There are 3 of us that post all the time. If you look at the pub map at the top and scroll down there are a couple So Cal pubs that open early for matches. We have met up at the Fox & Hounds in Studio City since it's centrally located and we are a scattered lot. Is there a place down in the OC where you guys go?

6. JCFulham

JCFulham New Member

Thanks for the response guys... Yes we have met up at my place, the shamrock in Newport Beach as have been to Ye Olde Ship in Santa Ana and The Dominom Brotish Social Club. Both pubs pull a good crowd of other teams which can make it fun..

There's 3-4 of us that maybe meet up twice a season but I'd like to try and get a regular group a bit like Fulham in Florida where 5-10 of us meet up pretty much every match... The other guys have been here a lot longer so are more used to watching us on there own plus ones up in LA and the other works Saturdays., I've travelled home and away for roughly 20 years and find watching the games sober at home on my own are nowhere near as good as with a couple of pints and a crowd. Where is the fox and hounds can't say I've heard of it?

One of the things that struck me is there isn't really any specific beacon for Cali Fulham fans... I mean there's this site and the exiles site along with all the other forums but something like a FB group dedicated to connecting and arranging a place to watch the odd game might get more traction... Not least because its a platform most people are already using. Obviously there are plenty of places to chat FFC so I wouldn't really see it as a forum just a easy to find place for anyone that wants to watch games. Knowing Mike and the club I'm site they'd chuck us on the offcical website to get us so more traction.

If I take the time to put it together would people be interested? I'm not really looking for much more commitment than a like on FB and an open mind about getting together.

7. SoCalJoe

The Fox and Hounds is located in Studio City (www.thefoxandhounds.com), basically on the other side of the freeway from Universal City Walk. Has to be a good 50 minute drive from NB. If you make a FB group, I'd be in. Not sure how many matches I'd make since it's long drive for me no matter the location (I live in Walnut which is 15/20 minutes north of Anaheim Stadium).

8. tim

tim Active Member

Hi JC and Welcome,

Yep, count me in as well. The Fox & Hounds is my regular spot (I live in Hollywood, so it's very close for me), but have also headed west a few times to the Kings Head in Santa Monica. And I'm certainly not opposed to driving down to the OC.

9. JCFulham

JCFulham New Member

Sounds good guys... I actually figured Anaheim type way might be a good location... People from both LA and OC can get there... Will try to set something up this weekend

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If guys get something going, I will be sure to get the word out via this site's resources...Twitter and Facebook. This site's aim has been to pull Fulham fans across the country together.

11. JCFulham

JCFulham New Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/202684169905292/

Here is the link, want to keep it simple for now!

Please join and do anything you can to spread the word.

My pops is over for the Scum game so already was planning on a meet up for that

Thanks guys!

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

This is for all of California? I can see the LA and San Francisco contingent getting into a turf war over this. :lol:

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

:clap: I'd just like to take this opportunity to salute the left coasters who can get out of bed and down to a pub at 0700 on a Saturday morning because of a club they love. I don't think the English supporters of this club realize what kind of attachement to the club this requires.

Good going, folks!

14. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Thanks Don. Just wanted to say that some day I hope to have a pint or 2 while watching a Fulham game. :D

15. JCFulham

JCFulham New Member

Yes it's defo for all Cali... We already have a couple of SF members... There's a pub just outside SF owned by a Fulham fan I've been taken to by Tom... So that would be a good place for the SF guys. I'm up there semi regular too.

16. tim

tim Active Member

Just joined up.

HD, appreciate the salute. There's definitely something special about the atmosphere/camaraderie for those 7a starts. Granted it was almost all Arsenal, but walked into my regular pub for the opening day this season and it was absolutely packed. Ended up standing for the duration of our match, nestled in one corner with a couple Sunderland fans (go figure). An absolutely fantastic atmosphere, somehow made even better by the early hour.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So is the goal to arrange local meet-ups or to become an official California supporters group? I have no problems with either one, but if it's for local meet-ups why not create two groups, one for LA and one for SF (kinda like American Outlaw branches by city)? It seems a bit disorganized for in terms of meet-up plans if it's for the entire state, would be similar to trying to arrange meet-ups on FulhamUSA--which used to occur very often on the old version of the site (but was done by a city basis, usually tagged by NYC or ATL).

Should I make a meet-up sub-forum to encourage more meet-ups across country? I know people would from time to time travel to different parts of the country looking for local Fulham fans in the area. Even had a couple of requests in FulhamUSA Facebook group recently.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

An "all California" get together would be as difficult as an "all Texan" one. I've had two in San Francisco and the length of time it took "locals" to get to the Place of Libation was not insignificant. Besides, there's a healthy rivalry between north and south that it should be nourished.

I'm intrigued by the pub in Northern CA that's owned by a Fulham supporter. I'd like to hear more about that.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Exactly what I was thinking. I've had few people ask the fulhamusadotcom account about a local group for meet-ups in San Francisco. I think there definitely should be two different groups for each city, just completely different experience from Northern and Sourthern Ca.

Who knows, I might be joining the Sourthern Cals sooner or later.

20. JCFulham

JCFulham New Member

Hi guys,

The goal is to have central place that people can easily find on FB to connect fans in CA.

Then based on their location people can arrange meet ups and whatever else they may want. The nature of FB allows you to create events so it will be very easy to differenciate based on location, but it does by having more members and extra opportunities for sharing photos ect allow it to get more attention and a better chance of attracting members. At the moment we have less than 10 members so I really don't see the value in dividing it up any further.. should we get more there is always the potential to create a separate group ect.

Just want to see where it goes for now TBH...

Thanks for all the input and help! I do appreciate it.