The US U-17 Girls, showing their class

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Mar 16, 2010.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Very classy gesture. Thanks for sharing the article Andy.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Very cool, thanks Andy

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I read about this a few days ago on US soccer and considered the story's post worthiness, but somehow the empathy the US girls showed towards the Haitian keeper was over shadowed by the 9-nil scoreline. I know the photos and words are sweet and perhaps the US didnt play all out - I just still wonder if something classier wasnt in order. FWIW

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I've been in a similar situation, on both sides of the skill mismatch. I must admit as disheartening as the scoreline might be, it's even worse if the "better team" takes pity on you and obviously doesn't try their best. At least if they play, you can learn something from the loss; if they play not to win, all it does is add insult to injury.

About all we did in the "better team" situation was make sure we didn't hurt the other team - i.e., were more careful with out tackles and physical play and then also, at times, slowed down our counter-attacks and broke down their defense instead of creating one-on-ones with the keeper.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Thanks for sharing Andy. I am in agreement with Ag that it was a very classy gesture and having the forethought to gather some basic necessities to give to the Haitian ladies is commendable.