The Mighty Fulham @ Sunderland

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Feb 26, 2010.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

thanks sfm for posting the link, but w/the game delayed on FSC I did a moratorium on the computer.

All things considered (especially since I thought the lads would come away with no points), a good result.

2. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Pretty boring match, but we got a road point.

It seems like Zamora was playing by himself up top. We would play some long ball to him and he would have to fight off three guys while waiting for anyone to get into the offense, but no one would.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I had hoped that Roy would be secure enough to allow the boys to be a little more adventurous on the road. I was wrong.

Martin, I saw ABSOLUTELY nothing in Zamora's display today that made me think any less of him than I thought when his goals were winning us match after match.

I don't think any of us who have enjoyed his contribution need to "call a doctor quick."

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Average performance by The Good Guys, I can't think of anyone who excelled or had an off day. Maybe Murphy, whose first touch was poor all day and looked tired to me -- he ain't as young as he used to be. I was glad to see him subbed off, come back and fight another day. I guess 0-0 was the goal.

I was somewhat impressed by Cattermole and Cana, if the injury situation is straightened out there, they will be back in the division for another go next year.

Zamora and Mensah, their CB, had some pretty good physical battles, I rather enjoyed that.

I really would have liked to have seen us go for it, especially as we had frustrated Sunderland's possession so many times. I think Gorgon didn't even have to get his shirt dirty.

Onward and upward.

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

SO reading what I wrote and your reply Don, you think that Zamora is England International Class Mmmmmmmmm Interesting you sure you dont need a shrink rather than a doctor?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In a perfect world, Mensah and Zamora would have met up for a couple of pints after the match and compared bruises. I really enjoyed their tussle, and I think they did as well.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Based on the last couple of months of form, and based on watching about 4-6 matches a week, I'd say that right now he's potentially a better strike partner for Rooney than either Heskey or Crouch. That's called an opinion, and -- if you can do it without invective -- I'd like to hear which of the three -- on current form -- you think is a better strike partner for Rooney.

8. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Don, Why is it you have to twist everything around that I say? I simply said based on what I saw in the first half Zamora is NOT fit for England. He missed a good oppotunity with only the GK to beat with a header missed the goal by at least 10 feet and then had a Offside oppotunity of putting the ball in the net and again missed by 10 feet, I guess you would say he knew what he was doing and ment to miss yeah right!!!That's real International standard.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Sorry to insert myself in this little spat between you and Martin, but I cant stay quiet on this one. With 18 goals in 35 appearances for England, Crouch is the obvious choice. Faggio is a fool if he chooses otherwise.

Of course, here's hopin' he makes the foolish decision and chooses Heskey or Zamora.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I have to agree with Mo - now is not the time for England to "try out" another striker. Crouch and Heskey cover the target role, Cole is a big choice for Hybrid and Defoe is in great form. As good as Bobby has played this year, I wouldn't place him over any of those five, in a World Cup year.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks Mo and andypalmer for your OPINIONS. There is an especially good point that andy made concerning the timing of the callup. I think Bob B. is probably down to figuring out who'll be #22 and #23 on his roster, and Fabio is probably in the same boat.

My point was that Heskey hasn't had a decent, sustained run of form since early in the season, and that Crouch hasn't been seeing a lot of pitch time. Further -- as we all recognized before Harry signed him -- whenever he's on the pitch for Spuds, they have to abandon their short passing game or reduce him to a fan with a really great view of the action. Bobby, on the other hand, is at the top of his form and -- of those three and on current form -- I think he's worth a runout to see how well he links with Rooney.

The 2009-2010 Wayne Rooney has gotten nearly all his goals in the penalty area. He's not the wide-ranging player we've seen in the past. Because of that, he would work very well at this time with a target player. My opinion is that England's goalkeeping is so substandard, and -- what with Terry's horrid recent form, Ferdinand's injury problems, the loss of Ledley King, and now Bridge deciding to take the summor off -- their defense in a whole is in question, England aren't going to win a lot of WC matches 1-0. I think they're going to need 3 or 4 goals if they're going to win, and that most of them are going to come from Rooney. You're going to need a strong presence to distract opposing defenders from him.

Sorry; I'm hijacking this match thread, but it was nice to see a couple of solid opinions. They're rather thin on the ground around here recently.

12. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I don't get why Zamora wasn't included considering:

a) it's a scrimmage (lets call it what it is)
    b) it's a midweek scrimmage
    c) it's a midweek scrimmage against a team that isn't in the World Cup (ie Egypt has nothing to play for)
    d) it's at Wembley, about 10 miles away from Fulham

So, uhm, yeah. Doesn't make too much sense.

Oh, and back to the thread, good result yesterday. ANOTHER clean sheet!

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

timmyg. I think the core issue is timing. This is the last callup before the pre-cup warmups. It's not the time to try someone for the first time, unless its a position that you NEED to look at new blood. You want to use this time as another time to get your team together and, where needed, look at new individuals in key positions and how they work with the regulars.

Capello already has to look at new fullbacks and center halfs; it doesn't make sense to ALSO look at another player in a position in which he has proven depth, unless the arguments for it are too strong to ignore. If Bobby was on 18 league goals, there would be serious questions asked, but there are FIVE English strikers who have scored more Premier League goals than Bobby.

There's also the open question of whether he is eligible. During WC qualifying, he submitted papers to FIFA to change his eligibility to T&T. He didn't PLAY for them, but to FIFA, that may not matter.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

First off:
    EVERYTHING posted on here is an OPINION. Even that article which gave FulhamUSA its fifteen minutes of fame. Some may be closer to correct than others on any given subject, but if there's no difference of opinion then why should we bother?!!

So.. without going into the details, I'm just gonna post my hunches based on evrything I read from a satellite view.
    England fans should be VERY AFRAID. Whatever shortcomings are apparent on outher squads in the group, the Lions are by no means assurred of getting out of the group.

Now we all gotta figure out how to move this into the WC thread

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Is there even a reason to comment on the match at this point?

We looked well and truly tired for the most part in this one. A draw is a shock result and speaks to how poor Sunderland are at the moment. I'm a little confused as to why Roy won't use the bench now, especially with the miles on some of our guys. Danny in particular looked gassed and made a number of lazy plays until being subbed out.

The Mensah/Zamora confrontation was entertaining but I'm wondering why Mensah is trying to bring back the fade. I kept looking for lines shaved in the side of his head.

If Sunderland could get Bent and Jones on the same page, they'd be in a lot better shape.

As for Zamora for England, I'd rather see him get the extra rest and get a shot after the WC. I doubt he'd be integrated beyond the bench at this point given the depth.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't think either of those are true. Regarding playing time, while Crouch did come off the bench for a short appearance for Spurs this past weekend, he's been playing full 90s pretty frequently in recent weeks. (I've been keeping an eye on that because he's on my fantasy team.) And I don't think he's wholly useless if you're not playing high balls for him to lay off with his head; for example, he scored against us with some pretty nifty footwork, if I recall correctly, didn't he?

Regarding Andy's point, while it's true that Capello basically has to go back to the drawing board at left back, it seems to me that as a highly-paid coach who (presumably) also has assistants to help him with this stuff, he could also devote some of his attention to other positions as well.

And I loved that flat-top Mensah was rocking.

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I agree. I liked every forward that made my big butt work that way. Hope they all are foing well.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I believe that Mensah is actually Teddy Riley in disguise. I always wondered what happened to "Guy"...

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

To clarify, I wasn't so much speaking from a coach-evaluation perspective, but from the standpoint of games at this point, you want to evaluate how the new players interact/interplay with your regulars - see how well they link up together, support each other, etc. You can't do that as effectively if you aren't using your regulars in other parts of the pitch; if you do it becomes a pure talent evaluation, ala Bob Bradley's January camp, rather than finding out who will be the best fit to join a mostly established WC squad. In many ways, it's more about ability to work within the system and with their teammates rather than individual talent.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm still not convinced why watching Heskey, Owen, Beckham, and James against Egypt is going to help him focus on South Africa at this point.