1. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

It is your opinion that Klinsman is being THE MAN and it is mine that there are some players who are none to happy that Donovan left the team at such a critical time and Klinsman is telling Donovan that if he wants an invite back he better start playing well. Donovan has not played well since his return and for the record he is not playing better than Zusi at the moment. Follow the reports of Donovans play and there is not one report of Donovan playing well ..... yet. I think Klinsman is managing Donovan openly by telling him he is not getting a call up over someone who has been in the team over the past two years if he does not hit his form and why should he? Donovan picked his timing to come back and basically gave himself between a month and a half to two months to get fit and hit form and that is a narrow window after the length of time he took off.

There are people on here that don't like Klinsman and I get it but for once let's be honest and admit that this time Donovan has put Klinsman on the spot with the timing of his return. It's Klinsman job to put out a team of players he can trust to do the job that needs to be done and Donovan has given himself two months to prove himself. So when Klinsman challenges Donovan to put up or shut up why are people jumping on Klinsman. My bet is Donovan sucks it up an is playing come June but I'll be honest and say if I had to pick a team based on form today Donovan might just be on the outside looking in and he would definitely not be in the starting eleven.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Pretty much every article said Donovan was his old self and played well in his last game against Zusi's Sporting KC. How many articles should I link, one or fifty?

3. BarryWhite

We will have to agree to disagree about how he is performing because you must be reading different reports than I am about Donovan. Here is how Grant Wahl answered the question when it was put to him and I bet he has better insight into the situation than either of us.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer ... t=sc_wr_a2

By the way, I saw Donovan's goal and it was ALL Robbie Keane. Donovan could have walked it in. Props for being in the right place but there was nobody near him.

4. tim

tim Active Member

For what it's worth, I was at the Galaxy-KC match and while Landon is definitely not 100%, I can say without hesitation he's well on his way. Yes his goal was all Robbie but he was key in setting up the Galaxy's first goal. I took that match as a very positive sign. I'm not saying he deserves a call-up based on that alone but he definitely needs to be taken seriously.

5. BarryWhite

He should be taken seriously and that is probably why Klinsman was at that match watching. But it seems ... no no .. take a deep breath ... Donovan is an icon and we can't challange him to prove he really wants it after his hiatus.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/04/kli ... nding.html

Donovan concurs with Der Kommissar's comments. However, there's not much else he could say to respond, if anything. I still believe that if he continues to up his game over the next month he's a lock for the June qualifiers. And, play him at forward with Jozy (even if as a sub).

BTW - this has been a good bit of banter that evokes some of the spirit of the old site.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sportscenter this morning had the news that SI.com has a story that says Landon Donovan WON"T be included in the June qualifiers...Ah Oh

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Saw that. Not really surprising. I will be surprised if he is not included in the Gold Cup.

9. BarryWhite

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

What would it say to the squad if he did?!

Sitting at home with your dog is okay? BS says I.

11. Clevelandmo

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm especially enthused about 6 keepers being called into camp. That's top notch, top notch (quoth the judge)!!!

What is LD these days, Fredo?

14. Clevelandmo

I'm not much bothered by the six keepers. The MLS keepers are going to rotate in and out of camp with each other so they are not away from their respective teams for too long. I'm assuming the idea is three keepers - Howard, Guzan, and Rimando - for WCQ and the other three for the Gold Cup.

What I am bothered by is the apparent omission of Donnie Moore, that motivational speaker in the 80s track suit that inspires our boys by rolling up frying pans like burritos, and other feats of strength. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PVTCFNhTcM

I've often thought that perhaps if our players had witnessed more feats of strength, we might be among the world's elite soccer nations. Thank you Jurgen Klinsmann for showing us the way.

15. BarryWhite

What could.be interesting is what Klinsman does if there are any injuries.

16. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Here is the third goalkeeper schedule: Johnson (May 26-30), Hamid (May 30-June 2), Hall (June 2-June 8), Rimando (June 9-19).

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm sorry. The squad choices all seem to be about how Klinsmann needs to have his name and face out there rather than the players. It started with the elimination of names from the back of the shirts in his early matches, and the arbitrary 1-11 numbering system to take fan focus away from the players and put it on the manager. It has progressed through using quality players in poor on-field situations, and creating Americans out of second-rate German athletes. Now, at a critical juncture in our woeful WC qualifying campaign, we're left without Donovan. Jozy's game will suffer immensely and, as a result, so will the team's game.

But, on the bright side, all the commentary will be that JK has shown a lot of guts in standing up to the USAMNT's star player. It'll be fine for him; somebody will give him 6 figures to sit in a studio commenting about the World Cup we didn't qualify for.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sorry, Don, if Donovan hadn't taken his sabbatical you would only be typing half the above. Cant blame klinsmann for Donovan not rushing back to the team.

I don't mind seeing Holden being named to the squad after working his ass off for the past year plus over Donovan who skipped out to examine whether he even wanted to play soccer when his teammates needed him most.

Donovan will play in a US shirt again soon enough.

19. Clevelandmo

US soccer is holding an open practice in Cleveland the day before the Belgium match and you can preregister for a chance to meet the German legend, not any of the USA players. Makes sense. There are too many USA fans who are too young to know what a fantastic player Klinsmann was. Afterall, no one wants to meet Dempsey,
    "[he] hasnt done s&!t" :character-koolaid:

20. Clevelandmo

Klinsmann said Cherundolo wasnt called into the USA camp because he isnt fully recovered from his injury. Funny that 'dolo went 90 minutes and had an assist on Sunday. This is utter BS.