1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

BeIN is advertising the heck out of the Honduras - USA match. I'm beginning to think they are trying to win the USA soccer fans over to La Liga, Serie A,and Ligue Ugh by appealing to our love of the US MNT. All a big anti-British/EPL conspiracy?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Mo, do you have beIN? If so, did you have to buy it as part of a bigger sports package? I would have to get it as part of package that includes 8 other channels that I would never watch. I have no desire whatsoever to watch any of those other leagues, so to get that channel just for the qualifiers doesn't make sense. The price in the grand scheme of things isn't that much, but it's a matter of principle.

As for the Hex itself, Mexico will win it going away. The US will make the fans sweat, but will find a way. The third spot is a free for all and will go down to the last match. I think that Costa Rica is the third best team, but if you look at the schedule the Ticos host Mexico on the final day, while Jamaica has a home match v Honduras, while the US visits Panama. If the Raggae Boyz can stay close they'll have a huge advantage that last match.

3. Clevelandmo

Joe, I have Direct TV. I had to get it when my cable provider dropped FSC. BeIN is a part of Direct TV's sports package that includes FSC (not FSC+) When beIN sport bought the US rights to LaLiga, Serie A, etc, Direct TV dropped GolTV and put BeIN in it's place. So there was good and bad in the whole deal but now that they are the only ones showing all the US away WCQ, it's more good than bad. The sports package is around $15/mo but it includes numerous channels I watch.

For the Hex, I predict Mexico and the Ticos. The US qualifies either through the third sport or the playoff spot.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I have found beIN to be a lot better than GolTV (when comparing it to the old GolTV, not the current one that has basically no leagues).

Plus, I have found that I am becoming a handball fan as they show that on there and it is insanely fun to watch.

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

In other news, El Tri is having issues with the reggae boyz...

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Granted I've been watching with one eye, but Jamaica has looked pretty good...very good when you consider the atmosphere

7. jumpkutz

Wow. The Jamaicans come away from Azteca with a point! Good for them.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bryan Ruiz rescued a point in the dying minutes at Panama. So, nobody won but Honduras.

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

From a pure pleasure standpoint, it is nice to see Mexico only tie at home to Jamaica, but we really need them to win any game aside from playing the US. They are going to qualify, so might as well have them take points away from the others (like in their next game against Honduras).

But CONCACAF looks tougher.

10. Clevelandmo

+1, I'll be pulling for Mexico in every game they dont play the US from here on out. Why was Azteca so empty? If only it will be like that when we make our next visit

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Great point Lax. Their sense of urgency at Honduras will be ratcheted up a few notches. Was reading something on soccernet where they were talking with Honduran media, and while the US was a huge match, to them Mexico and Costa Rica are their biggest rivals.

Mo, I assume that a mid-week match against a team that El Tri should wipe out was part of the reasons. El Tri and the fans came into the game flat. I watched the final 12 minutes or so (including that ManU-esque 6 minutes of stoppage time) when I saw the score. The 40-50K present were rather upset with the home team's performance and where doing the 'ole' when Jamaica had the ball, reminded me of the time when a 10 man US team got a point there and Azteca was cheering us and jeering El Tri. Mexico got lucky when after the Raggae Boyz hit the post the Jamaican player had a tap in and hit it straight to the goalkeeper.

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I caught a prematch cut-in earlier in the day on ESPN with the announcers they had set to call the match. They were talking about Jamaica coming in full of confidence and kinda mocking them for their delusion. Good to see the Rasta Boys come through with the result, even if it probably hurts us more than helps.

13. jumpkutz

Yeah, that 6 minutes of stoppage time was very OT, wasn't it? Priceless reaction from the Jamaican bench, which they were smart enough to replay. Good stuff.

14. jumpkutz

Looks like the Mexicans and Costa Rica have named their sides for the upcoming matches.

When will ours be named? Anybody know?

No real surprise that our man Ruiz will be in Denver...

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

US Soccer is run like a small chapter of the Elks. I do hope that the players and their teams have been notified, even if we're not allowed to know Lord Klinsmann's choices.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

BPOE? :eek: *

Don't know why I have a sinking feeling in my gut for these two matches - but, I'm an occasional pessimist when it comes to the Nats.

*elks helped to fund all of my sports clubs as a youth and am eternally thankful

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No slam at the BPOE, but there's no reason why US SOCCER should be run like a small club manned by elderly volunteers.

18. Clevelandmo

Please I just someone in US Soccer would recognize that no matter how different sports in the US of A are organized relative to Europe, we actually have proven for 100 years that we can get the job done in every sport, even when other countries are selecting, training, and funding athletes at 5 yrs of age. However, the accents controlling US soccer continually criticize the pay to play system that has developed here, which developed as a result of them telling us how inferior we are, and yet do everything in their power to condemn high school and college soccer - our cheapest avenues of play with a built-in fan base. Sorry for the rant but the illogic of it all makes me :angry-banghead:

19. jumpkutz

I love the Elks. It's the Loyal Order of the Water Buffaloes I have issues with.

20. Clevelandmo

Now official: remaining U.S. home qualifiers June 11: Seattle; June 18: Salt Lake City; Sept. 10: Columbus; Oct. 11: Kansas City.

Cascadia finally gets one, epic.

I might make the qualifier in SLC, and will definitely be in Columbus on Sept 10th. COYRWB