1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I don't see Wynne as a superior choice to O. Gonzalez, if you're bringing in new blood at CB.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I got nothing when I clicked on the link, but I'm assuming that's the MLS #1 draft pick out of Louisville!!

4. jumpkutz

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

How many guys in the Prem do you see with amazing speed that are clueless as to what to do with the ball? Speed will get you in the door but you still have to have the goods once you get there. I hope Marvell turns up with the goods but Bob didn't give up easlily on players and Marvell didn't manage to stick in his rotation. I am glad he had a great Olympics but it is a huge step from there to the full national squad.

6. Clevelandmo

I dont believe Bob gave up on Marvell. Bob always put him on his "B" teams. When Cherundolo was injured in the Confederations Cup and WCQ, Marvell was who he called in as back-up. When 'dolo was healthy again, Wynne didnt get the calls. By 2010, Wynne was switched to CB by Colorado and he still got calls into Bob's "B" camps and teams as did Omar Gonzalez. Do you think Bob gave up on Omar too. I wouldnt say so. Just because a player's speed is his standout trait doesnt mean he is clueless about what to do with the ball. If someone can give me specific examples of how Wynne is clueless with the ball then I will consider that opinion, but if it is just because he is fast and black and someone said so on a blog, I'm not buying it. I've not seen him play CB much at all, but I've seen him play RB quite a bit and he certainly wasnt clueless about what to do so it's just surprising to me that is now being said about him. Anyway, this whole conversation about Marvell arose because Jump suggested the USMNT try someone who is fast at CB, is Marvell not the obvious choice in that case?

7. Clevelandmo

Sunday evening and the USA roster has still not been announced. The first match in Honduras is Wednesday. I dont get it; what;s the point of waiting so late for the announcement. One thing that does seem clear is that we will be without Donovan or Cherundolo. :cry:

For various reasons I have a suspicion that Klinsmann is on his way out the door. It's only a matter of time. I just hope we have an out clause on that ridiculous salary that he is earning.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What is JK's problem?

9. Clevelandmo

Steve Goff of the Washington Post and his take on it

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

And why does it matter that it gets released by now or not?

The players know. The staff knows.

Bob/Bruce would release it early and make changes over the weekend if an injury popped up or not. Klinsmann just waits until the weekend is over before officially releasing it with the final roster.

I just don't see why people are making this a big issue.

11. Clevelandmo

If Klinsmann had been issuing late roster announcements all along that would be fine. We'd all know that's how he does things and we'd get use to it. However, he didnt usually wait so long. Also, he has botched nearly every roster announcement he's made by calling up players that are too "fatigued" to make the trip, calling in players who have known injuries, upsetting players club teams, etc so there is a pattern. Further, Klinsmann has generally not replaced players who got injured, in fact that was a point of criticism in the group stage, so why should we assume the late announcement is because he is waiting to see how injuries play out. Maybe he's learning from his past mistakes but then if that is the case then some people are going to remember that salary he is pulling in - 4 times what Bradley and Arena made - for someone who is learning the basics on the job. You just cant expect reporters, and those like me who think he is inept, to ignore this stuff.

And like I said above, I think some journalists are scrutinizing this in terms of assessing how secure Klinsmann job is at the moment.

12. jumpkutz

All I know is if he deploys Jozy as a lone striker, I'm gonna puke... and we WILL lose.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

WoooHooo, ESPN2 has got WC Qualifying on Wed. :banana-dance: Wait a second, it's EL Tri v Jamaica???? :angry-screaming: So in the United States, Stars and Stripes fans can find the match on beIN network, while our arch rival is on the biggest sports network in the Universe??? I know beIN ( :lol: just typing the idiotic name makes me laugh) paid for it, but not a snowball's chance in hell I'd pay extra for that channel or watch it pay per view.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll watch if Matt reminds me what the hell the channel is on TWC.

15. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

It's like dealing with the Town of Cary construction management dept...Common sense has no place in the discussion. There, I feel better now.

16. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

well, i found out it's 620 on directv. now I just have to find out if I actually get this channel. or maybe it's a solid reason for a late lunch/early dismissal from work. As far as the lineup goes, I don't care when he releases it. I have a problem of letting blind faith cloud my judgement though.

17. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

BeIN hd is ch 397, Don. Joe, by being on BeIN, it means there will be a stream on the computer. Cary sounds like any other town in America. Try bribes, Tim.

Do we know if we'll have most of our intl's playing? Seems a quick turnaround from the w/e for them to travel and get any training in.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

He has been doing these late roster announcements much of the last year. He usually waits until Sunday evening/Monday morning to announce it.

And why should we assume that he is making a late announcement to wait to see what happens over the weekend? Because both he and US Soccer have said that they are waiting for the weekend's games to play out before announcing a final roster (i.e. Josh Gatt was rumored to be on the US roster in September then wasn't announced on the official roster as they waited for the weekend to play out to see if he could play or not).

I get it Mo. You don't like Klinsi therefore you don't like anything he does. I don't think he is doing a "great" job, but I just find the whole "why is he waiting so long for the roster to come out?!?!?!" outrage by you and others to be nitpicking.

What was won or lost by waiting until today to announce the roster to the public (aside from filling everyone's desire to know it)? Nothing, so who cares?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Anybody have an idea how there can be World Cup qualifying matches in a week when there's no international break?

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Promoting player "burn-out." I know there are a boat-load of int'l friendlies on Wed. as well. Ya gotta love (grrrrr) the travel the U.S. players have to put in - especially Edu flying in from Turkey. Yeah, yeah, they fly first class, and it helps, but the time changes are killer in a 5 day turnaround.