The Fulham Shield

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFCinPCB, Aug 18, 2006.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I call it the shield because that is what it looks like to me. The old one, that was more of a crest.

Anyway, I was trying to get a conversation on the offal about this, but they are still to pre-occupied with the recent change (it's kind of funny and annoying at the same time).

So, since I know we have plenty of memebers who actually care about more relevant things, I am curious as to what the FFC Shield and colors symbolize and mean. Also, what the previous Fulham Crest stood for also. I appreciate any info and apologize if this is a repeat of a previous post somewhere.

And I really like the FFC Shield. It's attractive, strong, unique to the EPL, and very marketable.

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I have no idea on the symbolism of the shield, but I will say that it is a big reason I became a Fulham fan. When I went to my first (and only game so far), I was very impressed with it. It is modern but, being a shield, has links to the traditional football logo.

3. BC

BC New Member

Agreed. I love Fulham's colors and shield. It would make a great tattoo!

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Not sure exactly what the colors mean, but for lifelong Fulham supporters and those who have been supporting the team for a number of years, many cannot stand the the new logo.

I think it is fantastic and as FFCinPCB said, it is very unique, recognizable and in turn, marketable.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good stuff. I was perhaps hoping for a more romanticized explanation, but this works.

7. Owen

Owen New Member

The 'old crest' was the Fulham Borough Council crest, adopted by the club many moons ago. When the London borough boundary changes were made, the Council became The Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, but the crest remained. I think the reason for the change was to create a more modern look.
    However I know a lot of fans dont like the new one, certainly not the chap who had the 'old crest' tattooed on his back the day before the announcement of the change.
    I dont know the exact reason for the Black and red, but can make a suggestion. When Fulham reached the Cup final in 1975, they played quite a few matches in Black & Red stripes (AC Milan style) and in the final I saw quite a few of the players had these shirts under the normal white ones.