The FA Cup: Fulham v. Tottenham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFCinPCB, Feb 12, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Spurs

I am up for this one and am looking forward to making a return to the Cottage (missed the match vs. Newcastle since I was in New York).

My FFC Lineup:

Jan

Volz -- Christanval -- Knight -- 3u's

Liam -- Diop -- Dempsey -- Radz

McBride -- Montella

As for the bench, your guess is as good as mine.

3. RDG

RDG Member

This may be a bit too late, but I've just found out that the match is on PPV on cable, thus getting around having to explain to a significant other that one HAS to go to a bar on a Sunday morning. The cost is $16 (Oops! I mean "$15.95").

COYW!

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Son of a Biscuit!! Look at that.

Good catch, RDG.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Knight starts along side Christanval!

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

12 Lastuvka
    02 Volz
    05 Christanval
    06 Knight
    04 Queudrue
    13 Radzinski
    14 Diop
    37 Smertin
    25 Davies
    09 Helguson
    20 McBride

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

Collins John in from the wilderness and named on the bench!

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I feel a little sick.

This will either be a very good win, perhaps the best so far this season.

Or, this will be the most frustrating and depressing defeat.

COME ON YOU WHITES!!!!!

9. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

lineup

Safety first again, no ambition with this line up, CC is just trying to eek out a win, why isnt Dempsey and montella in there, by the time they get out there it will probably be to late, and if CC says we knew it would be a hard game and it would not be easy again in his post match interview I will throw up, they are all hard game sat this level thats a gimme. But please Fulham prove me totally wrong and come out a destroy them from the start, but i fear this is a safety first line up yet again from CC at home.UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

In the famous words of Inspector Zenigata from the show/movie/book/comic/etc. Lupin the Third: "Crap, crap, crap, crap, CRAP!"

Let me count how, thanks to GBFC for dropping knowledge in the chat room:

-16 shots by Fulham, 9 on net, and ZERO that were actual quality from what I understand. Bad. Just bad.

-Zat Knight is horrible. The first two goals could have been prevented if he played with a semblence of courage and a figment of the idea that is defense. I know transfers outside the window are not allowed, but can we send him away to Accrington Stanley or trade him for an old boot? A pylon would have done a better job defending.

-Discipline! Vincenzo Montella thinks elbowing a guy in the face at the end of a 4-0 loss is a good idea. Collins John came into this game and I didn't hate him; but I'm sure I'll hate him at least once in the next three games!

And now Manchester F'n United are up next in the EPL, great; GREAT. Arrrrrrrgh.

11. inastance

inastance New Member

Nothing like being the only Fulham fan in a pub full of Spurs this morning. I felt like I was taking it on the chin with them today.

I'd like to see Dempsey get more than 15 minutes in the future. It seems to me that he brings a lot of creativity that we sorely lack.

Man U. is next? Ugh - it looks like it could be an ugly February, boys.

12. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

I give up

Another season ended in February, hopefully we wont get pulled into a relegation battle, have been a supporter of CC for a long time, but sorry its all over now and the fat lady as surley sang her last note. He said and i quote he put his strongest team out there to start that game, no comment is needed, he blames the defenders, why then did he not go after defenders in the transfer window. Well I saw the line up today and thought I am not paying 16.00 dollars to watch a boring game, well I was wrong there were more goals than most games, but all in the wrong net. I have followed this club for many years and they have always been the same just when you thought just maybe just maybe they might do something different and actually compete in a division or a cup they throw in a performance like this, you can change as many times as you want or the manager, the players, but the club still does the same, Steed now knows he made the right move. Oh well fishing season is nearly here in the South, i am finished with them this year, and especailly next Saturday, we might want to take 4-0 right now, at least that would keep a our goal difference down, and the way this team is going we might need that come May. But you know its just like Fulham to go out there next week and play a great game against the Reds, but I for one will not hold my breath. A very disgusted long time Fulham fan.

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: I give up

Sometimes its just not your day and today was that day for Fulham.

We had nearly 20 shots to Spurs 8 and we lost 4-0. A bit flattering to Spurs although our woeful defending was the cause to a few of those goals.

The league is where we need to concentrate now and with Manure next, it won't be easy. As for our newbie FFC fans, its never going to be easy to be Fulham but you will be rewarded and it will be sweet.

My disappointment tonight was more Montella getting a red than our 4-0 loss. As for Spurs fans what a bunch of low life idiots. Every chant involves the word 'Yid'...they are very proud to be racist. I'd rather be Fulham than Spurs any day.

FTID.

14. krhimself

krhimself New Member

This match really highlighted our failure to get a decent center-back in January. At times, Knight looked like an extra attacker for Spurs; then again, you can probably say the same about Lastuvka, who was basically relegated to being the third striker for the other team.

Very, very frustrating to watch indeed.

15. psand22

psand22 Member

I didn't get to watch or listen to the beatdown today....but did we have anyone show up and do something positive on the pitch? Just wondering?

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: lineup

dead on post

There’s really no excuse for this sh!t. You should never give up four goals regardless of who your lining up against and you defiantly should never do it at home! So much for fortress cottage.

Looked from the highlights that John was decent. Hopefully his time in the dog house will serve him well. Again just looking at the highlights, Dempsey looked good. Hope both of them start next Saturday.

Sh!t game. We could win next Saturday or just as easily lose 7-0. Fulham being Fulham neither result would surprise me.

17. dstriker

dstriker New Member

Mike...
    I couldn't have said it better and I absolutely agree.

18. GaryBarnettFanClub

It always takes a while for new players to bed in. Right now I do not think Coleman knows his best team. He is scared to play Dempsey and the midfield looks horribly unbalanced.

Our reserve keepers are not good enough, without Niemi we look all at sea in a controlling position. Keepers win matches by their husbandry of the defence, Jan and Warner are not confident enought of their own game to worry about anyone elses.

Volz is a better all round player than Liam, but Roz is the better defender. Boca and Christanval have an understanding and are really begining to work. Que is the only option on the right.

There is a lack of pace and skill in the middle and even worse, the work rate has been poor and defensive duties negelected.

No place for HH on the bench - rather have the pace of John.

Starting with Dempsey over Diop because I really want to watch this guy from the beining of a game and see if he is a good as some of the glimpses he has shown. Having said that, when the 3rd goal went in against spurs he was milling around in no-mans land with his head down. I assume he was just gutted.

Wherever possible I would always play Montella and McBride together. They contrast in style and both are thinking players - the second goal against stoke showed that they could soon have an understanding.

Baring injury/suspension this would be my staring lineup and bench.

---------------Niemi--------------

--Liam---Christanval---Boca---Que--

---Wayne---Brown---Dempsey---Radz

------------McBride----Montella------------

Subs:
    Jan
    Volz
    Peace
    Diop
    John

With the currently available players :

----------------Jan---------------

--Liam---Christanval---Boca---Que--

---Wayne---Brown---Dempsey---Radz

------------McBride----John------------

Subs:
    Warner
    Volz
    Peace
    Diop
    HH

Win or lose against Man U - I want to feel proud of my team after the game. Right now I am not and that hurts.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Re: RE: Spurs

i've been clamoring for his release all season. I can't understand why Cookie keeps playing this guy. Our best lineup in the back has been w/ Christanval and Boca...get Knight the HELL out of there!!!!

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

100% agree with everything you wrote in these paragraphs.

Fulham never really took Tottenham on, they never tried to run it or pass it right through the middle of the field. It was always kick it long to the forwards from the defensive end or work it up the side then cross. I can't fault this tactic too much, but they needed to vary their attack, it was becoming way too obvious and ineffective. They then tried the same thing with John and Montella, neither really known for their aerial ability.

And I'll agree with Mike, the thing that bothered me most about the game was the sending-off of Montella (other than paying a $10 cover charge, then food, to be surrounded by gleeful Spur fans...thank god Dave and I weren't the only Fulham fans there). We were the second best team out there that day, and desevered to lose. But to lose your temper so close to the end is uncalled for. I still love ya Montella, but now you're maybe out 3 games? UGH.