The Dempsey and Dembele to Spurs thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, May 10, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well you can believe Goal.com, which is a bunch of internet boys and not journalists, while they simply rehash the chronology of events, what Jol said in his "interveiw" and what Dempsey "tweeted" or you can believe Clint, McBride, and a real journalist.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Mo...just passing on information. I bolded what is pretty much fact. Everything else is just filler or conjecture at this point. The story you linked to is just Clint saying how happy is to be moving on...yeah, good for him and Fulham. Doesn't give us any facts on what happened, just Dempsey's relief. McBride and the reporter are just passing on what they heard Dempsey say.

We still don't know the entire thing. I know others about this, so I will post whatever articles I find on the matter and let them decide for themselves if they still want to know what happened.

To me it's history, club and player have moved on. Glad he's taking a higher road and not trashing the club.

3. Clevelandmo

Until I read Wahl's article I didnt know about the Piers Morgan calling Dempsey and "arrogant twerp". I dont know between the two, one seems a little more arrogant than the other.

But Heather are you saying that you are not going to believe Dempsey when he says, "I did not refuse to play". that is the new part in Wahls article. Or that you dont trust McBride's judgement? It was Fulham that did the "interview" and said things about Clint, made it all public. He has only defended himself. It's obvious there was some sort of bust up with Dempsey and Jol because Dempsey has ignored Jol in this whole thing. He hasnt ignored the Fulham fans or Mo in his comments since he left.

It is history and it would be nice to put it to rest that's why I find those goal.com type articles that keep coming up annoying. With things like "it is believed that . . . .". The just rehash the past with nothing new other than a few gaps filled with rumors about Mo. If it's not the result of a new interview with clint or someone at Fulham, Liverpool, etc, I dont see the point.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not saying Dempsey is a liar at all. I believe he thinks he is telling the truth in his belief he did not absolutely refuse to play. But what I found in life when it comes to disputes like these, especially in the media, is people want to root for one person's story over the other. And most of the time it's not that cut and dry. It really is like most of our disagreements in life, it's usually a simple misunderstanding on both parties and lack of communication.

5. RIcottager

RIcottager New Member

Am I still the only one blown away that the transfer went through for only 6m? I swear I heard a report once the move to Spurs had been reported that discussed sending a player back to Fulham in conjunction with the $, but never heard another word of that again. Anybody hear that as well or have any insight there?

6. Clevelandmo

oh and a little more twerpy

[​IMG]

7. Clevelandmo

Absolutely the disagreement was likely not that cut and dried - you have a Dutch guy, a determined texan, and an eccentric billionaire. But Fulham brought it out into the media. Said, "refused to play", "not committed to the club", "it's embarrassing" and droves of Fulham fans have turned on him as a result. They were chanting "F*$% dempsey" in the Norwich match, and have basically discounted any positive thing he ever did for Fulham. So even if Fulham could've convinced him to stay, his situation wouldnt have been as good as it was because a huge swath of fans had been given their reason to hate him. This is what I find wrong about the situation. It's not a matter of who was right in whatever bust up occurred.

Dempsey on the other had stayed quiet on it all, kept it from the media, other than the few sentences he has given out of a need to defend himself. I dont see a "beating a dead horse" smilie? I think I have earned it.

And of course this all happened over Liverpool. I dont get it.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

RI, so much swirls around on the last day of the transfer window, hard to know what is the truth. I think what you are referring to is Tom Huddlestone almost coming over from Spurs (Fulham and the player couldn't come to terms for whatever reason). However, that had nothing to do w/Dempsey's deal. As far as the money, it was a bargain to be sure, but the circumstances were bad for Fulham to get more money. I honestly don't think Spurs had anything more than a cursory interest, but upon learning of the insulting bid from Liverpool, swooped in. Closest analogy was they were in the checkout line and noticed the Snickers bars were 50% off and grabbed one.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So Dempsey is a markdown Snickers bar eh? :lol:

Can't believe after all that summer hoopla Liverpool only put in a bid worth about 3 million pounds. :snooty:

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Oh my. :doh:

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I don't see anything new there. Liked the fans, liked the owner....hmmm, that leaves Jol & Mackintosh. Thought we knew that already.

13. SoCalJoe

While some of those comments are recycled, the 'I wasn't valued" is new.... :doh: is right Nev. I actually admired his restraint right after leaving by simply saying 'thank you' and 'there are two sides of the story, but it's history now'. For this to come out a few days before his return is stupidity. He better not be shocked when he gets torched by the Hammy End. Fulham fans read that, and it's not a stretch for a majority to conclude it was about the $$ signs. Moose will be well received because he was playing great at the beginning of the season, and a big spender came out of the blue and met the contract stipulation. He wanted to go to a bigger club as much as Clint did, but it was a clean smooth exit. I really hope someone advises Clint to keep his mouth shut about being disappointed on getting booed and having some less than positive chants being pointed his direction on Sat.

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wondering why a) he chose to talk the Standard and b) how much more will come out before Saturday. I predict at least some of the latter. Stay tuned.

15. AggieMatt

In fairness Joe, who does the club "value"? Pretty much our entire roster is on one or two year contracts and we won't sign anyone for longer terms deals. I have a hard time taking issue with players for not being happy about that. Especially our veteran players who have given us some of FFC's best moments.

I do agree, a significant portion of our fanbase won't look at it that way but then they're dealing from a position of emotion and envy, so rationality doesn't apply. What Dempsey or any returning player/manager says, or how they respond to their welcome, is irrelevant. They won't change most fans' minds.

16. SoCalJoe

I agree with every word you say Matt, and Clint has the right to express himself in any way that he chooses, just really wished he kept the 'not valued' comment to himself until after this match. It's obviously been on his mind, and he'll probably come out with the standard 'it is, what it is' about getting the harsh treatment, but you know it will bother him and this ill timed comment will only add to the jeering.

17. AggieMatt

My point is that the jeering isn't going to change on anything he says or does. There are those who are angry that he left, those who are angry in the manner that he left and there's the rest, who feel his time and performance with the club trumps the way it ended.

For those first two, there's only one proven way to change their tune. Go to greener pastures, stink it up and fail, then some years later come back in an interview and say leaving Fulham was a mistake. The players who have done that have "won back" some of the fanbase. The rest, not so much. Which makes me question why a departed player would even care what that segment of our fanbase thinks. At the end of the day, we're talking about fans (short for fanatics), and you don't usually change their minds.

The irony is, knowing the type of player Dempsey is and the way he motivates himself, the stronger the negative reaction by our supporters, the better he'll play. Could come back to bite us.

I'm glad this match is tape delayed. I don't want to be in a chat for this one and I won't have any commentary on it before or after. The issue has become too divisive and I'd rather stay out of that fray.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, of course, there's an excellent chance that he never did an interview with The Standard, that all they did was mine earlier comments and create a quote out of whole cloth. Remember, English print media is different from ours. They can -- and do -- lie with impunity as long as they do so against "a celebrity."

19. Clevelandmo

It will be an interesting match that is for sure. I will be watching Dempsey and Jol very closely, if I can get myself to watch it all. I am still very conflicted over all this.

Don may have a point about that new quote regarding "being valued". Why would he do an interview and only say one thing that is new?

20. tim

tim Active Member

I find it suspicious, as well. What I know is that he'll be fired up for the match, and I think Matt's right--he'll only be motivated by any jeering/boos from the Fulham faithful. Dempsey's strength is his constant abilitiy to prove himself capable in adverse conditions. In any event, I'm sure there will be at least 11 people happy to shake his hand at the end of the match. Hopefully even those booing will come around eventually; even if they don't end up happy, I'd hope they'd be respectful. That's what separates Fulham from so many other clubs in this league. Or maybe I'm just an idealist.