That Boy Clint Dempsey

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

There is no keeping him down. Didnt start today but came on around 70 min and scores on his first touch. Heh heh. :flags-texas: :flags-usa:

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

There IS no keeping him down, and before it's over, I gotta believe he'll be a key cog for what I believe will be Spurs qualification for the CL next season. They've got a lot of weapons, so I don't know how exactly it's gonna play out, but, like so many teams, they'll go as far as their defense will take them. Lloris may be able to save them a few times along the way, but I wouldn't want to play them with critical points on the line. Anybody that beats ManUre at Old Trafford this season has to be taken seriously (he scored what proved to be the winner there as well). There's no denying he's been pretty quiet up to this point, but, again, THERE IS NO KEEPING HIM DOWN! And I look for a HUGE year from him for the USMNT as well.

Still a big fan, obviously.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

He was out for a couple weeks (not sure what the ailment was), so glad to see him back playing even though I can't stand Spurs.

4. jumpkutz

His goal today was one of the least impressive I've seen for the little time I've been following the game. It falls under the Wayne Gretzky category, who said, "100% of the shots I don't take don't go in."

5. tim

tim Active Member

That's a great quote. Although with more goals than anybody else who ever played the game, I'd say Gretz knew a fair bit about finding the back of the net.

6. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Groin strain. And good deflection. Not like the Juve goal for sure!

7. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Another one for the highlight reel today! Still cant get used to him in a Spurs kit though... :snooty:

8. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Thanks for the injury update. Had been wondering what was up with his lack of PT. Still think AVB is an idiot. And as far as the goal, CD just has that "it factor" when it comes to scoring, he knows where to be and when to be there. SC as far as the Juve goal, in my humble opinion, you won't see many better goals than that one in your lifetime...

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Despite the fact that the majority of British posters I've seen believe that Dempsey would rust on the pine this season, he's playing brilliant football and is a critical player in AVB's reconstituted side. In his 16 minute return last weekend, he made a killer pass that should have been an assist, and only a brilliant intervention stopped him from a far post goal.

He's the real deal. I can only imagine what he could have done this season with Berbatov and Ruiz had the team only agreed to that 4-year deal.

10. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

"In his 16 minute return last weekend, he made a killer pass that should have been an assist" & How bout the backheel thruball he made that Adebayor should have scored in the game before that...

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's the one I was talking about.

12. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Sounds like he tallied 2 & an assist today. I hope he finds his form for the US.

13. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RxtTonBKgA[/youtube]

14. jumpkutz

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Scored against Leeds, attacking a header in a manner we sorely miss at Fulham. That's 5 goals in 5 matches, all competitions. He's even got the fans yelling Deuuuuuce, not just when he scored, but when he touched the ball several times.

Not sure why AVB had him leading the line as the #9 without another true striker on the bench (aside from the very green Obika) as that (and some shocking defending) probably cost them today. Clint is good in front of goal but doesn't have that natural finishing ability you see in a true striker. His goal chance conversion rate is usually around 11-13% and good strikers sit around 17-20%. Part of that is that "try shit" mentality that Arena spoke of (and Don often requotes). I love that AVB plays him as the 10/CAM in their 4-5-1 b/c I've long thought that's his best position, but leading the line is likely asking a little too much, especially paired with Sigurdsson playing off him.

16. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

The header was beautiful but I would guess he is likely kicking himself for not putting the chance he had in the first half on frame. Gorgeous one but he should have had two yesterday.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That was a superb header. But, your sentence says it all. Sigurdsson has really been a shell of his former self this season from what I can tell.

Defoe plays well with Dempsey, and vice versa. I don't think Spurs need a big #9 if those two are playing the attacking role (obviously Ade is quality) - Bale and Lennon on the wings...jeez, that squad should really be ahead of Chelsea at this point.

18. jumpkutz

Not in starting lineup, not named to bench vs. wet spam, no injury report, no indication on anything I've searched online as to why he's out today. Anybody seen or heard anything?

19. jumpkutz

yanks-abroad.com says calf injury, spurs medical staff doesn't have timetable for return.

20. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Andre Villas-Boas on Clint Dempsey: "He has a calf strain so I think he will be out maybe one week or two weeks."