Swansea City

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DawgTheDon, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Bradical

Bradical Member

Don, I hope you're wrong and that it was merely bad morning coffee doing the typing.

I'll say a 1-1 draw, a late Cottager equalizer from AJ earns the replay and a sigh of relief.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I fear a 2-0 loss. Just don't see goals on the road and Swans are no easy match at their place.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sky Sports News reports that Etuhu is unfit for Saturday. I didn't hear any other absences.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Roy mentions in his match fitness preview that Hughes was subbed out of Northern Ireland's match against San Marino with a dead leg. He wasn't sure how serious the condition was. I guess we'd see Baird or Kallio step in for Hughes if he's not fit to play on Saturday.

From football-lineups.com it seems that Swansea generally play a 4-5-1 with 5'8" Trinidadian Jason Scotland as the lone striker. They're actually a fairly short side all around, with defenders topping out at 6'0" and only goalkeeper Dorus de Vries and former Fulham trainee Darren Pratley coming in taller than that at 6'1". If Kallio gets in there for a possibly-injured Hughes or to rest Konchesky, the addition of him to Hangeland and Dempsey and Zamora and (potentially) Gera could give Swansea some real matchup problems on corners.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Scotland is a monster in front of goal. Going to be a handful if Hughes is out.

6. Corky

Corky New Member

If Hughes is out we have a very capable player in Baird to cover , he does not warrant the criticism he gets from some sections of our so called supporters.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Baird's fully fit again? Good. Last I heard he was nursing something or other and couldn't feature.

Oh, and about Baird criticism, be glad you weren't on this board last season, Cork.

8. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Officially no Hughes, no Baird. What say you Mr. Kallio?

9. Corky

Corky New Member

I thought Baird was ok , shame he's still injured.
    You could be right about Kallio .

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Source? There's nothing new on the FFC website since yesterday, Sky says Hughes "should play some part" (nothing about Baird), BBC says Hughes is doubtful but also nothing about Baird.

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

6-0 Whites. Put some hurt on those Swans!!!

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

<---- Loud critic of Baird last year. I had good company.

Corky is right though -- when called upon he has performed pretty well this year. If he goes out to RB again though, we need to call in an airstrike on the position.

I'll take a draw against the Swans tomorrow and a W on the return fixture.

13. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

I would normally agree,however, we don't need the ficture pile up-that's how you get players hurt-get them put to bed at there place then move on!

COME ON THE FULHAM!

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Agreed. Win or lose, with the emphasis on "win."

A draw will be hard on the squad at this point, but I wouldn't cry with a reply at the Cottage. A deep Cup run would be great, and I think FFC have already done enough to stay up (knock on wood.)

Gera to be the hero today. He's freakin' due.

15. sullytex

sullytex Member

Or Zamora, for Christ sake, he is LONG over due.

I predict a draw though.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, if everyone associated with FFC isn't embarrassed, they damn well ought to be.

IMHO, this is the worst we have looked since we lost at home to Newcastle in Sanchez's last match.

17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I had a feeling, and I was proved right, that we have one eye on Man United which is why Pantsil didn't play, bobby didn't come on til late and Dempsey was rested for a good part of the game.

We played the typical away game, tight defense, deep midfield and no support up front. We don't need a replay with all of our midweek games coming up but there we are.

18. sullytex

sullytex Member

Lucky, lucky, lucky to get the draw. I guess I would give MOTM to Schwazer. Damn we suck away. That being said, we get another chance so not all bad. I do think in the late stage of the match Zamora was called off on two break aways that were very close calls. Swansea played very well. Replay in two weeks.

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

True Don, that was awful.

But we didn't lose. And in the cup, thats all that counts.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

That was awful. I don't think the defense was nearly as tight as Mike's description makes it sound like.

At least the second one of those two late offsides calls against Zamora was blown, maybe the first one too.