Swansea City

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DawgTheDon, Jan 25, 2009.

1. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

We are currently not in danger of being relegated, despite the point difference 20th to 10th. Save the "weak" squad for Old Trafford. Newsflash...really good chance we wouldn't win with our strongest line up.

I see the FA Cup as being very important & I hope Roy does as well. Send the strongest side as possible, beat a team you're suppose to beat and hope for a home draw in the next round.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I like my idea best. How about going out guns a-blazing and field as close to a full strength team as possible? We aren't in Europe. One stretch of 3 games in 7 days won't kill these guys -- they are fantastic athletes.

I think this is what Woy will do, except for any minor injuries that someone has, for the Swan game

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Newsflash yourself. I think even our strongest squad will lose to United. A weakened squad, however, would not only lose but would also squander our goal difference advantage which is HUGE over teams in the lower half.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Fulham's first away win of the season will be Old Trafford.

You heard it here first.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

The hypothetical two point swing between beating West Brom with a fresh squad and tying West Brom with a tired squad is infinitely more valuable than any amount of goal differential. It might not fly in real life where you have to worry about pissing off supporters who've spent their time and money making the trip up North to see the lads play, but if it were a game of Football Manager I'd happily punt the match at Old Trafford to boost the chance of getting all three points at the Cottage a few days later.

(Useful tangent: In addition to the Swansea match as we already know, the ManU and West Brom matches are also live on Setanta. After that, the match at Arsenal is live on FSC. Four live televised matches in a row? We're liable to get spoiled!)

6. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

We match up with Untied (see what I did there?) alright defensively, so 0-0 isn't out of the question IMO. We'll want our best defensive players - Hangeland, Hughes, Paintsil, Murphy and Dacourt - as close to 100% possible.

I know this won't happen, but how about this:

@Swansea

------------Schwarzer-------------
    Stoor-Hughes-Hangeland-Konch
    Davies--Gera--Baird--Dempsey
    --------Johnson-Nevland---------

@United

------------Schwarzer-------------
    Paintsil-Hughes-Hangeland-Kallio
    Gera-Murphy-Dacourt-Dempsey
    --------Johnson-Zamora---------

Someone is going to have to try to kill off Ronaldo. I don't like Konchesky's chances, but Bonecrusher (with some help from Dempsey) might be a better matchup. Either way, I'll be shocked if we score.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like this/these idea/ideas. Good stuff

8. Corky

Corky New Member

I like the cut of your jib Andy , that's the spirit !

9. jmh

jmh New Member

I can't say I'm crazy about a central midfield pairing of Gera and Baird. I think I'd sooner ask Dempsey to play the holding role and give Gray a run against Swansea if he's match fit.

van der Sar and company haven't conceded a goal in their last thirteen league matches since losing to Arsenal early in November, in case anyone hadn't noticed, and I have to agree that the odds of a Fulham goal at Old Trafford seem infinitesimally small. I kind of like the idea of throwing Bonecrusher and Zamora and whoever else is tallest on the field against them (Etuhu's absence clearly hurts in this regard; Stoor might be preferable to Paintsil and Nevland to Johnson) in order to be as threatening as possible on corners.

10. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Not only will Don shave his beard, but his head too!! :lol:

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

4:45 AM on Sentanta??...brutal

Very tricky one here. A quarterfinal appearance would be fantastic, but it ain't going to be easy (wouldn't be surprised if we are slight underdogs w/the bookmakers). Fully expect to see Deuce rested after flying to Ohio and back. I'd take a replay, but will go out on a limb and say 1-0 to the good guys....even further out on a limb and select an unexpected hero...goulash for everyone when Zoltan Gera scores the winner.

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Joe, looks like you and I will need coffee intravenously feed again. Oh boy. I was hoping we would only have to do that once this season.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

glad to see the thread is back focusing on Swansea. It looked for a while there like it was going to cover THREE matches.

COYW!

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Go for a draw or win (I feel a Swansea cupset though). Bring a rested squad to Old Trafford.

I think we can draw Man Utd. West Ham could have beaten them on the weekend. Playing at Old Trafford is something different, but I think Fulham can slow the Red Devils down and if they can nick a goal who knows.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Sorry, that was largely my fault. :oops:

16. Corky

Corky New Member

I hope Roy goes for it and puts out a full strengh team including Dempsey , if this is the case I would fancy a 2-0 win , but it all depends on team selection.

17. Corky

Corky New Member

18. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Corky, small club, small stadium, small fanbase.

19. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Realistically, Dempsey is going to have to sit out one of these matches. He played practically the whole game on Saturday vs. Wigan, then he played 90 minutes against Mexico Wednesday (on another continent). I can't imagine he would then play 2 more games in the next week (especially since we have ANOTHER game four days after THAT).

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We're going to lose 1-0, and I'm going to be in the chatroom when we do it. See youse guys there.