Sunderland v. Fulham [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 22, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's SOCCERNET's preview:

Hodgson takes his team to the Stadium of Light desperate to remedy a travel sickness which is threatening their Premier League life

Puhleeze.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"What is more, they have scored just three league goals on their travels, the worst record of any club, not just in the top flight but in the entire Football League."

That's just piss-poor. I didn't realize it was that bad because of the away draws.

3. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I think that Fulham can take all three from this match. They just need to play with confidence. Hopefully whatever midfield lineup Hodgeson selects will gel.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Ouch. There's no particular shame in not scoring at Villa or Liverpool or Everton, but not being able to find the net at Stoke or Blackburn or West Brom, who've got some of the worst defenses in the Premier League, are the kind of things that could come back to haunt us if the season goes south, like being unable to beat Derby last year.

5. nevzter

Lineups:
    Sunderland
    No. NAME POS
    32 Marton Fulop (G)
    15 Danny Collins (CD-L)
    26 Anton Ferdinand (CD-R)
    3 George McCartney (LB)
    2 Phillip Bardsley (RB)
    6 Dean Whitehead (CM-L)
    4 Teemu Tainio (CM-R)
    20 Andy Reid (LM)
    8 Steed Malbranque (RM)
    17 Kenwyne Jones (CF-L)
    9 Djibril Cisse (CF-R)

Fulham
    No. NAME POS
    1 Mark Schwarzer (G)
    18 Aaron Hughes (CD-L)
    5 Brede Hangeland (CD-R)
    3 Paul Konchesky (LB)
    4 John Pantsil (RB)
    13 Danny Murphy (CM-L)
    20 Dickson Etuhu (CM-R)
    25 Simon Davies (LM)
    23 Clint Dempsey (RM)
    8 Andrew Johnson (CF-L)
    9 Bobby Zamora (CF-R)

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and here it is with the subs;

SUNDERLAND v FULHAM LINE-UPS
    Sunderland: Fulop, Bardsley, Ferdinand, Collins, McCartney, Malbranque, Whitehead, Tainio, Reid, Cisse, Jones.
    Subs: Colgan, Edwards, Diouf, Chopra, Leadbitter, Healy, McShane.
    Fulham: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky, Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora.
    Subs: Zuberbuhler, Nevland, Gera, Stoor, Andreasen, Kallio, Baird.
    Referee: Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

Best news: Kieren Richardson continues to be injured.

Worst news: Etuhu starts instead of Andreassen, and mark Halsey is the ref.

Last post from me. I'm shutting myself off from all football until I head out to watch this "live" on FSC at a nearby pub. The norther has blown in dropping temps like a stone, so I'll throw a jacket over my McBride shirt. COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. nevzter

My favorite GJ comment: 'not a lot of Fulham fans have made the trip north, but why would you?'

8. nevzter

I hope FulhamAg and HD get the beers in, b/c after what I heard today, they're gonna need 'em to watch that performance.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

MOTM -- Schwarzer.

Why? Because no one else did anything.

10. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I was really thinking and hoping of course we could get our first away win at Sunderland but after watching the match I can only hope we remain in the Premiership next year, another very poor performance against a struggling team.

I would like to say this is how I saw them play:

1 Mark Schwarzer ....Outstanding game
    18 Aaron Hughes .....Solid
    5 Brede Hangeland... If he stays at Fulham I'll be amazed, OUTSTANDING as always
    3 Paul Konchesky ..Solid at the back just looks lost coming forward
    4 John Pantsil...again solid at the back poor past the half way line?
    13 Danny Murphy...what's going on with Danny, missing Bullard already I think?
    20 Dickson Etuhu...someone tell me this is a Joke player?????
    25 Simon Davies ....Ran he's socks off cant undestand why got taken off
    23 Clint Dempsey..Very poor, cant tackle and cant distribute to a Fulham player?
    8 Andrew Johnson...works hard alone, No support
    9 Bobby Zamora ..Oh yes OUR Striker, 1 goal in the Premiership and this is our striker, enough said.

I'm not even going to mention Gera cos I dont think this person is a footballer

Ive never seen the 20 year old we have just signed from non-league side Hampton but I would give him a chance dropping Zamora, how worse can he get?

11. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

All I can say is

"DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I prefer a different word but for the children's sake I toned it down. :x

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Does it begin with "F"?????

13. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Yep...and ends in a 'K'.

14. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I am not saying this because I want to be right - I want to be wrong... But we were crap in the center of the pitch, and even with a solid back 5 - they can only hold up so long.

We saw that.

I was really looking for the player that was going to step up. I am not sure we have seen it yet... It has to happen quickly - All hell could break loose by the weekend.

15. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Uh oh. That looked like last year's team. :|

16. nevzter

The club has hit a rough patch, and I don't know whether or not it has anything to do with JB leaving. For $hits and giggles, I ventured over to the awful today, and sure enough, it is in hysterics over today's performance - calling for the head of Roy, and Zamora and Etuhu, et al. I'm hoping it's simply a lull for the club - face it, FFC is $hit away from the Cottage and it has been for 3 years.

However, FFC needs to pull their collective heads out because the table is much too tight this year. Signing somebody above League One, and who can score a fuckin' goal, would also help tremendously.

17. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I was very disappointed with today's result, but i'm not ready to start freaking out just yet. Roy's got the rest of the window to bring someone in to replace Jimmy. If he's going to stick with our current midfielders then they're going to need a little time to gel.
    Overall central midfield looked lazy and complacent ... i can't remember the last time i saw our midfield give away that many balls in our own half and that's including last year ...
    I was hoping that Jimmy's departure wouldn't affect Danny but it appears that it definitely has in the short term ... I just hope it's something Roy can remedy in the long term.
    Otherwise we could be in for a long second half of the season.
    Just keep in mind that Roy deals quietly when it comes to transfers ... keep the faith and good things might just happen. Look what happened last season.

18. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Come on Jensers, that's exactly what you want to be......RIGHT? :wink:

When was the last time we won an away match with Jim Bullard? The answer is last year, at the end of season.

Please folks, do NOT 'freak out'.....all we did today was do what we have done all season with the slight exception we did not come away with a draw.

Like what you posted ohio4fulham...I agree with you.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Pretty blah game.

Fulham's offense this season depends on good play from the central midfield, which means Murphy is even more important with the loss of Bullard.

With that said, Murphy did not have his best game today and the offense looked blah in my opinion.

20. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around our ridiculously terrible shooting. Early in the season, I assumed we would get better by accident, but that simply hasn't happened. AJ is the only one putting shots on target, and everyone else is far below their career averages. I'm almost ready to say we should forget Delph and just sign Kevin Doyle, at least to get someone else who can hit the target.