Summer Transfer Window 2015

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoCottager, May 12, 2015.

1. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Agree, sounds like flexible depth. From what I read, he can also play some cb, so maybe he can be another Bairdinho? Hopefully he does as well or better....without having to go through being one of the whipping boys our fan base love to abuse. Mattila the Hun doesn't seem to let the grass settle under his feet much (7 clubs since '08, if I read that right).

Could also mean another departure in central mid. Parker, Hyndman, someone out on loan?

2. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

There's no team loyalty in sports these days. I would find it very surprising that any of the kids would show loyalty when they're too young to have ever witnessed loyalty from a professional athlete.

The other big issue that Fulham is having now is that none of their promising young talent ever dreamed of playing in the Championship. So why would they sign a new deal and potentially be stuck in the Championship for the length of the contract?

encorespanish and AggieMatt like this.
  5. AggieMatt

Roberts, Hyndman & Dembele haven't been disloyal, they've all honored their contracts. They've just decided (so far) not to sign extensions. Now if the club then chooses to sell them before those contracts are up to maximize their return, how do we lament the players' loyalty?

Look, we all love Fulham, but if we're being honest, what in the last 4 years at FFC would make any young player think it's a good place to advance their careers? Especially if they have interest from other top flight clubs for more money.

It's a two way street as well. Clubs don't show loyalty to players either. The most egregious (and self destructive) example was refusing to give Clint the long term contract he asked for. I understand the circumstances why, but he'd earned it and FFC has paid dearly for that decision.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Exactly. It's business. We the fans like to owners to spend their money and the good players to stay for whatever the club can afford, but at the end of the day everyone looks out for themselves.

7. ChicagoCottager

I know what you guys mean, I'm just afraid these kids are getting their heads turned by other clubs even though they're in a good situation at Fulham. Right now these three are in a great position to break into the first team and contribute (Betts already has). That's not going to be the case if they move on to a Prem team. They'll be loaned out the next few years before they're even given a chance.

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I know what you're getting at, I wish we could see kids develop through the system and become first team members. But I think those days are gone (especially at mid to low tier clubs like us). This artricle from the secret footballer may help explain some of it: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/03/the-secret-footballer

Plus, we said in other threads that with the recent additions Fulham have made that Hyndman and Dembele would probably be loaned out. They're in an awkward position because they're not quite ready to be regular starters in this team and league but they want to be...so why wouldn't they look elsewhere?

9. AggieMatt

I guess the disconnect here is that I don't see this as a good situation for them. None featured prominently last year & haven't this preseason either. The latter could be a case of not featuring them until they commit, but if that's what we're doing it isn't the best recruiting strategy.

Take Hyndman. He's viewed as a #4. But he has O'Hara ahead of him and we just brought in a 26 yr old utility player. That's not the type of player you buy in then send on loan, so that would suggest to me that Hyndman will either be a sub or loaned out. Cairney, Pringle & LVC appear to be 1st choice in the other mf spots. So if you're Hyndman, would you rather go on loan while earning the wages Fulham can afford, or do you move with the idea that you'll be loaned out by a club paying you 2-4 x's as much? Let's say you go on loan and impress. Would you rather return to a a Championship side or one in a top flight league? And that's assuming he gets loaned out. If he goes to a Dutch side (outside of the top 4-6) he's probably starting. Same if he goes to one of the mid tier Spanish or German sides he's been linked with.

Part of Hyndman's problem is his position. This league is rather physical & the club rightfully question him holding up as a #4. I'd rather see him in a more advanced spot, but we bought Cairney for that. I guess he could play out wide, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards either. The physicality level in the Bundesliga is lesser, and in Holland & Spain it's much different. At his age, those are really better fits, especially for higher wages.

The other problem is the club are taking (what they believe) is an approach to push for promotion. That limits the margin for error and makes playing younger players more difficult for a manager. I said when we were relegated, I'd accept we're probably going to be down for 3-5 years minimum, so clear the decks, build a side around the U21's and take your lumps. I still believe that was the best long term plan. It isn't without its flaws either though. Relegation to League 1 would have been a serious threat & then keeping your best prospects becomes very difficult. But at least by playing them, you make leaving a more difficult decision and there's a good chance you increase their sale value.

Dembele doesn't have the physicality concerns like Roberts & Hyndman, but the rest of the problems are the same. The fact that we tried to loan in Gayle suggests not only is he not first choice, he won't be given much rope should he continue to struggle for goals. Woodrow would appear to be closer to breaking into the first team based on preseason.

I loathe the phrase "had his head turned", btw. It implies zero self awareness or ability to think for oneself. Guess that's my black vs blue. :)

encorespanish and BarryWhite like this.
  10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Clubs like ours want to have good youth programs in order to make money from their successes' transfers. We are a selling club. That doesn't mean that we're not ambitious. Everton is in a similar situation, and only Arsenal have been in the top flight longer than them. Southampton's youth players have featured at dozens of Premier League sides first teams, but while they were selling Oxlade-Chaimblerlain, Walcott, Lallana, and others, they managed to get promoted to and see their football grace the Premier League.

11. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

12. ChicagoCottager

I've never been a huge fan of Ream to be honest, but my opinion of him is totally from his USMNT performances. By all reports he's been a good player for Bolton in this league.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Player of the season for the last two seasons.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't understand why Bolton would let him go? Would probably have to offer a really sweet deal to get him.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Remember when we were in our first year of Jol and we were getting linked with everyone who played on his Dutch teams? Well, we have an American owner ... .

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Don't think that's it. QPR are now on their fourth(?) bid for him and FFC have supposedly made an inquiry. Not sure why either team thinks they have shot, but hey I am not a pro in football deals. Just seems silly to let him go, unless he wanted to leave.

17. AggieMatt

Could be a budget thing and QPR & ourselves think we can pry him away with higher wages. Bolton have been down longer.

Could also be they have someone younger and/or cheaper in the pipeline they feel is ready to take his place.

I know it's fun to yell lazy journos, but Bolton, Fulham & Tim Ream hardly draw eyeballs, so why make that up?

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ream is a good solid Championship level player. He has no drama and can fill in in multiple positions. The only reason I don't want him in a Fulham shirt is that he's a Yank.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Yank or no Yank - he adds quality

20. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member