Summer '08: Ins and Outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamlocal, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, that's a Daffy reference, but I DO know the song you're on about.

New stuff:

I heard in the chatroom that Volz [whose jersey I'm still wearing] was off to Ipswich and Healy off to Cardiff. Does anyone have any firm info about that? Links?

2. jmh

jmh New Member

If we only got 3 million pounds for Davis then we got ripped off. What happened to 7? Or at least the 4 we paid Villa for him?

3. jefft1011

jefft1011 New Member

Saw on Sky Sports that Volz to Ipswich for I think it said 300k or 800K... Caught it as it was going by on the screen.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Per Ipswich Town's webpage: Volz Bid Accepted. :cry:

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm officially in mourning, and I don't give a crap what the noisy negative nattering nabob naysayers naysay. He's a good lad and played his guts out for us. SW6 is the poorer.

Best of luck with the tractor boyz, Volzy! I'm proud to have your name on my back.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss Volzy. Tom, Pfog, whoever...we need a memorial on the front page, stat.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

At least we have Pa(i)ntsil, who seems as close to a drop-in replacement for Volz as you can get. We just need to get him to start a website. Champions League, here we come!

8. sublicon

sublicon New Member

He's a painter? Wha?

9. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

It was reported in the Sunday People that Cardiff City are planning to bid 1 million quid for Eddie Johnson.

Little PTI segment... Buy or Sell this move?

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Sell. Even EJ is worth more than that........."potentially".

11. Team_of_McBrides

Sell. He should be loaned out this season to get the experience needed. It won't do him any good to sit on the bench behind Zamora, AJ, Dempsey, Nevland and Seol.

I'm sure a Championship side would value his services for a season or half a season.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd agree in principle with a loan, but it would be good to remember that the general consensus around the league has always been that Zamora hasn't shown himself to be an EPL-quality forward, never mind a line leader.

Also remember that Seol looked good during his first match or two and then stunk up the joint last season.

Also remember that AJ, Zamora, and Nevland have all had injury issues.

I'd get rid of Collins John before I'd move EJ. I think that he's the logical backup for both forward roles. Nevland is best for 3 innings at the max.

13. Team_of_McBrides

Glass half empty approach Don. Bit harsh on Zamora. Most of his time in the prem has served a supporting role and usually not the featured striker.

Seol featured on the left more than in a central role for Fulham last season. I believe he is more of an attack minded player and he may not be best suited on the flanks. Maybe Roy can maximize his talent in his new role.

Nevland, lets be honest, nobody really believes he will lead Fulham's front line.

Alas, however unfair, the majority of Fulham's attacking hopes rest solely on AJ.

14. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I really think Zamora has been a much better player than given credit for (he was West Ham's best attacking player from 2005-07), but injuries have been the biggest thing holding him back. If he stays fit the entire season, he could be our player of the year.

Seol is weird. Statistically, he was our best ball winner last season. No, I don't get it either. Maybe he should be a fullback.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's fair to be harsh on Zamora and AJ in terms of expectations. They are the two guys we spent the most money on. They've been given the job of scoring goals. If we're expecting less of them than we expect of EJ or Seol or Gera or Andranik, then there's something wrong with us.

16. Team_of_McBrides

Tough love. I get it.

Agree with Rich's assessment of Zamora above and I love the work rate he puts in each match. AJ wasn't best suited for a lone striker system so that hurt his stock a bit while at Everton.

My expectations are lowered for those two, but I believe they may have been victims of their system or injuries in the past. The weight of our attack is on them, but if the midfield can provide quality service I don't think scoring will be a problem.

Back to transfer speculation...

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/e ... 13121.html

Now Everton is in for Bullard at 4 million quid. I really have to side with Fulham in this issue. He has two years remaining on his contract and has yet to play a full season after his devistating injury. Play a full season and up the contract at the end of this season. That is the general practice of most clubs. He seems to be forcing the issue in this case.

I know we all value Jimmy's creativity, but do you believe there is enough depth to deal with his departure from Fulham? Dempsey to take over his role?

17. jmh

jmh New Member

I'd loan out Eddie Johnson to get some experience but it's way too soon to give up on him after having seen him play in all of six matches.

I'm going to continue to believe that the Bullard talk is newspaper speculation until I see otherwise. I agree with T_o_M, it's too soon to renew his contract anyway.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My last word on EJ for the moment. I'm thinking that Roy may figure that EJ will improve more and quicker by playing with the reserves and working with him on the training ground than he would by loaning him out to the CCC.

I think that Roy believes that EJ has a future in the EPL -- he was a Hodgson signing after all -- and that he'll feature before this season is over.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

That's possible; I guess we'll find out for sure when the transfer window ends and he either has or hasn't been loaned out.

20. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member