Summer '08: Ins and Outs

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamlocal, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreekFootballer

GreekFootballer New Member

After allowing 2 late goals today, we should probably start looking for a new defender. You aren't going to get away with that come next week...

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Lifter=right; Leaner=left. Red Barrell; it's what your right arm's for!

I've raised some memories for any old Brits who might be reading this.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

There are several rumors about Healy leaving. The worst one I read is to Hull; this would not be good as he would show us a thing or two next Saturday.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/article12111.ece

Do you all realize that Healy towers over Johnson? I know I'm alone in this thought but I would rather have Healy than AJ.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Yes, yes Mo you are alone in wanting Healy over AJ. I am not big on AJ, but he is far more promising than Healy at this time. AJ's pace will cause loads of problems and Roy won't be using him as a lone forward like Moyes did either. So, all things considered AJ should score a fair amount of goals for Fulham and create enough opportunities for the other Fulham attackers to move the club up the table.

Healy for club and Healy for country are two completely different players.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

I'd like to think we were already looking and just haven't found the right deal yet.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a bit of perspective needed here, guys. There were substitute defenders on the pitch and one of them -- Kallio -- contributed to the tying goal. This happened after he and Zamora played an Alphonse and Gaston in the Torino penalty area.

This doesn't tell me that we're in trouble in defense. What this tells me is that the match WAS AN EXHIBITION MATCH. I don't think the two late goals mean anything other than Roy considered it better to keep playing football and evaluating his squad rather than shutting down shop and salting away the win. Do you really think he would have broken up a defense keeping a clean sheet in favor of more attacking football in a REAL MATCH? No you wouldn't, any more than you'd take out a NFL QB who was 12 for 12 at halftime of a regular season game, although you'd do it without thinking in an exhibition game.

Relax fellas and gals; the birthday boy knows what he's doing.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I agree with Don.

That said, bad habits can sometimes start in the pre-season. As long as I know Our Club and Players were rightly pissed off after that match and resolve themselves to not letting that occur in the regular season, that will suffice for now.

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

AJ is way better than Healy. AJ is the fastest striker in England and for a little guy he's strong and can hold the ball up. Healy is way, way behind AJ in these crucial areas.

Healy is not Premier League quality at all.

9. Clevelandmo

yea, he's almost as tall as I am :3d laughing:

10. Clevelandmo

Okay

1) That was mean. I have an unfair prejudice against short players.

2) I couldnt believe we spent money on a striker shorter than Healy - two inches shorter.

3) I checked out a few youtube vids and he did look pretty good - goals and assists, but he was a beneficiary on several goals. He's been playing on much better teams than Healy.

4) I like Healy

11. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

http://www.fulhamweb.com/-7781-/Premier ... omment.htm

Looks like the Hodgson - Bullard 'thing' is being played out in front of the media or the media is making the story. How do you like Hodgson calling out Bullard, basically on his long distance shot attempts he tends to take once or twice a match? Any predictions on what happens? Stays? Goes? This is all BS created by the British press?

12. Clevelandmo

There is something going on, talks about Bullards contract and all. Not a good way to start the season IMO. I wonder if all of Woy's acquisitions have shaken up Fulham's happy home.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/ ... in-locale/

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Before I started following int'l soccer I thought our sportswriters were a bunch of excrement-stirrers and sniffers. Holy cow, they have a waaay to go before they catch some of our friends in ol' Blighty.

I look at it like this. Bully is reasonably happy, but would like more money. Woy is reasonably happy w/ Bully, but doesn't want to give it to him, at least for now. Two intelligent, rational people who both want a little more on their end. Fair enough.

Enter the excrement-stirrers from London's sporting press. Bingo! Instant melodrama. I think it is nothing too disconcerting

14. Clevelandmo

Yeah you're probably right.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Not really an in/out, but player news: per the FFC website, the Hangman has been named the captain of the Norwegian national team.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

17. Clevelandmo

Oh Woy . . . dreams do come true.

Nice article, thanks for posting. There was also a link about AJ. I like that playing for England is a goal of his - hopefully FFC benefits from this.

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I like Healy as well, as does Hodgson. He's a good guy, has a special talent, works hard and is a good team guy... he just can't cut it physically. If you're that short, you better be fast and/or quick. Otherwise you're a quality League One/Championship player.

He has the mind and the finishing ability for the top league, but not enough to offset his physical deficiencies.

19. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

20. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

So, with the season starting Saturday, when do you think a new thread for this season will get started?