Stupid Vatican Tricks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jun 17, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have to tell you that I won't go see the movie except at gunpoint, and I didn't manage to get through the first 10 pages of the novel although I really tried, but this is silly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/ ... 3665.shtml

Favorite quotes:

and

Guys, it doesn't conform to anyone's views; it's not finished. Until it's cut and scored it could turn out to be anything between Behind the Green Door and Fantasia.

Religion is so cute when it pretends it understands anything about modern society and its place in it.

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Shame on you Don! You admit that you did not read the book the movie is based on and yet you pass judgement on someone who is taking a moral stand against its theme. I am not Catholic and I do not support many of the church leadership's ideas but I will say bravo to them for not participating in something that they beleive will contradict their values.

You make it sound as though the Catholic church is calling for a ban on the production of the movie rather than the church simply telling the producers that they will not allow them to shoot the movie inside church property. Afterall, if the church wanted to shoot a movie on your property you could tell them no without any reason whatsoever. I don't see the big deal here.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Shame on me, indeed. I am hanging my head. :oops:

Having said that, I wonder what would have happened if the producers had said, "fine; we're shutting down all the Italian side of production and moving everything to Dubrovnik." Suppose someone else's politics [and this is ALL politics] might have trumped the diocese of Rome on this one?

As far as having not read the book. I did manage to get through The Da Vinci Code (book only; there's not a gun in the world big enough to force me to see the movie), and I can't understand what all the fuss was about that book. Certainly it shouldn't have upset anyone's relgious applecart any more than did, say, the first and third Indiana Jones movies.

Nemmind; shamed here and abandoning the thread.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Well, maybe Dan Brown should rewrite it and they could shoot the thing in Mecca or Medina, instead. I'm sure that would fly.

Many of you know I tread perilously close to what the much vilified Rev Hagee has to say about the historical Roman Church, but I do not see what the fuss is about. The Vatican CERTAINLY has the right to refuse admittance!

Really, Don!

It's alright, though. We all go off on a knee-jerk now and then.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm glad they refused admittance. Good for them. Why did the Da Vinci Code get all that fuss. Why did I somehow think it was this really good book that I had to read. I read it and it's just a typical action thriller - something you read on a beach vacation. Why should the Vatican support the delusion that Browns books are anything other than escapist entertainment.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I suspect someone asked Brown his opinions on the gist of his books. And took him seriously.

After all, some people take Al Gore seriously. Frankly, from the Roman Church's {or just about any other church} history.. it's easy to frame a story like that and believe it.

That doesnt mean we should keep whipping the CURRENT establishment.

Let God sort 'em out!

7. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well I think they need to understand that it's FICTION. I do think its nice that they're uncompromising but I don't really see anything in the book that goes against their way of thinking besides a misguided leader. Anyway it's hollywood and they can build their own vatican. Not really sure if they have the budget for that but like I said its hollywood.

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Fair point Ianhux

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I read the book and it is thoroughly entertaining, but it is fiction. I support the Church and them distancing themselves from the production of it. One interesting thing I have observed however, Dan Brown's book has created alot of negative backlash by the Church and Christians and the threat I think they saw in it. I have observed the opposite affect. I think it has created of a huge interest in religious history and the origins of faith, which in my view has been good for religion in general.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Haven't read the Da Vinci Code but I did take my lil' sister to go see The Golden Compass movie based on the Pullman children's series. There was a lot of the same "its anti-catholic, anti-religion" fuss over that as well and going in I was inclined to take the get over it you nuts view, but actually it was quite a slap at the catholic church! They had a reason to get all tied up in knots. Cracking movie though, I thought anyway. Seven year old certainly enjoyed it.