Sports Guy (ESPN.com) Needs an EPL Team

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Kris, Jul 13, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I guess that could be true but what about when a team from the relegation fight beats a team like, say, Chelscum. You can't explain in words how much that meant to so many FFC fans, even us who were stateside just cried with joy...NJGlen cried, he told me!

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I used to respect SG. Now, I see that's he's just another big front-running phony. I have red him for a few years and I can see the evolution from regular sports fan to full-of-himself egomanic, and this just clinches it.

He didn't have to pick us, but he should have given us some serious consideration. I wish he's had the guts to say right off that he was only interested in a top team. I had thought about reading his book, but now, I have as much interest in that as he has in Fulham.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sports Guy

This is a great point. Sometimes takes a little while to figure out exactly who you like and why. I'm betting he ends up a Pooly.

I am watching the Tottenham/Charlton match from October 2005 while I type this, and Tottenham has capped a tremendous comeback with Keane's goal to put them up 3-2. But the Spurs strike me as one of those teams you are "born in to" as the Sports Guy put it, so I don't see any respectable fan giving him much credit. And the fact that he thinks Davids wearing goggles is cool is exactly the opposite to me.

Whatever. He'll have to sort it out himself.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heather, this is no disrespect for you... how could you know, in fact.

But I'm glad to see that I wasnt the only one who sees the guy as a nitwit.
    Here's a hint: If some sportswriter starts inserting too much pop-culture/entertainment news, he's a poser ... or he's looking for a replacement slot on a morning sportstalk show. There's a very fine line between that and Pro Rasslin' commentary.

If he was a REAL sport nut, he would have picked Reading. They are the best small club to follow {other than Fulham, of course} if you want to pick a 'sleeper' or long shot.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Pettyfog, I don't understand why you quoted yourself, did you mean to quote Dave?

The guy is supposed to quote pop culture references and such, that's the entire point of Page 2 on the ESPN website. You may not like it, but others find him and the other Page 2 columinsts funny. I admit he wasn't as funny as he was 2-3 years ago, he's been using the same material up to this point. And I don't think he's looking for face-time on TV, that's not his forte.

Also, I don't think he's anywhere close to being like Jim Rome, this guy likes hearing the thoughts of his readers and I never heard him claim to be an authority on anything serious. He likes to be sarcastic, in a playful, spirited way.

How could I know? I don't know, I don't have conversations with the man. I'm speculating and giving my opinion. After reading the guy's columns for years and going with my own experiences with choosing a premiership team I'm giving an educated guess. Much like you comparing him to Jim Rome, how do you know?
    :wink:

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I didnt know... until I read on. And I quoted myself so you wouldnt have to page back.

But you cant quite AVOID Jim Rome... he's like watching an airliner without any flight controls trying to land at Sioux City Airport.

You know what's going to happen, but...

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I have had no problems avoiding Jim Rome at all, I can't even remember the last time I've heard or seen one of his shows. Is he still on ESPN or does he just do radio now?

I still don't see the similarities. Yeah, both use sarcasm for humor, but that's about it.