Sports Guy (ESPN.com) Needs an EPL Team

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Kris, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Kris

Kris New Member

Over on ESPN's Page 2, the Sports Guy said this in a chat session yesterday:

Why not Fulham?

Here's the response I sent to the Sports Guy (sportsguymail@gmail.com):

You guys should send him your own responses: sportsguymail@gmail.com

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Great job! Hilarious!

3. tibor

tibor New Member

I know for sure I picked the right team now, McBride or not! Haha that was classic. Good job!

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

I forwarded the link to this thread to my wife Barb, who is a huge Sports Guy fan (she is a Boston sports fan who was reading Sports Guy when he was "Boston Sports Guy"). She sent this e-mail to him:

"Saw your post about World Cup and must add my voice to the message posted on the Fulham chat board that recommended your trying out Fulham as your EPL team of choice. My husband and I became fans when we were in London in October of 2003 and I was trying to forget the trauma of being on a transatlantic redeye in the second to the last row with crying babies all around when the pilot cheerily interrupted the slumber of those few who had managed to doze off to inform us all that Game 7 of the American League Championship Series had ended with the final score, well, you know the final score. [actually, while it was upsetting at the time I now realize that by not witnessing the carnage first-hand I have been spared the kind of searing, neverending pain that I experience every time Billy Buck at first base flashes on the screen. I mean, intellectually I hate Grady Little for leaving Pedro in the game, and I turn away when they show Wake’s reaction to Boone’s homer, but it did not damage me in quite the same way as it would have if I had been pacing and hyperventilating in my living room at the fateful moment. But I digress…] We went to a Fulham game that weekend with a Scottish friend and fell in love with the plucky blokes.

I agree with the poster that Fulham has much to commend itself to the new fan of the beautiful game, including what I am told is a lovely grounds (they were being renovated when we were there so we saw a Fulham home game at some other stadium), a loyal fan base, an abiding hatred for Chelsea (the Yankees of the EPL) and some great songs.

Please let us loyal readers of your column know if you try Fulham out and what you think about it. My husband is a Tigers fan, and from 2003 to this year Fulham was a great distraction from what was going on at Comerica…."

-----------------------

I then sent this e-mail to him:

"One of our FulhamUSA.com members posted his e-mail to you as to why Fulham would be a good team for you to root for, and my wife just sent you an e-mail with her reasons. (I'm the Tiger fan who used Fulham to distract myself from the dead years of the Tigers.)

My only additional comments to theirs is that we have a cool logo/badge. Many of the EPL teams have some old-fashioned badge that has so much stuff in it that you can't tell what it is. Fulham's, to contrast, is simple and modern looking but still looks loke a badge (which is the tradition in soccer logos in Europe). I've attached a copy of the logo: [I attached a copy of the FFC badge]"

-----------------

(I know some of you don't like the new badge, but it was one of the things that attacted me to Fulham--the blend of the modern and the traditional.)

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Excellent job everyone! I will have to send one to Sports Guy as well. I always enjoy reading his columns.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

On the side:

I'd never read that feature, but I kinda like it....

Best Simmons saying:
    -on the Knicks maybe buying some low-ball players just because they were repped by LeBron's agent

7. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

nice one Kris et al.

8. ickle_monk

ickle_monk New Member

im loving this!

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

SportsGuy's mailbag: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/060714

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Did Fulham just make its first EPL and UEFA Finals?

Is this a sign of things to come???

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I would have emailed the guy with my sentiments... but I often make inopportune oversights... i.e.:

"Dear Mr. Sports Gay:"

My problem is more with the proper format of letter typing then with my tasteless attempts at humor combined with my inability to determine whether anything is PC since GW came into office.

Continue to ignore me, I'm just trying to get my post total up...

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And after reading the rest of that column... I suddenly dont give a shit which team Bill Simmons picks.

That piece reminds me of what Jim Rome would write if he were literate.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, at least Pettyfog will be happy the SportsGuy didn't pick Fulham.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/060719:

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Thanks for posting this Heather. I will be curious as to how often he writes about Tottenham in his columns. I would love to see Fulham beat Spurs on TV so SportsGuy can write about the Cottagers a bit.

I think it is cool he has picked a team. My guess is he will follow it and write a fair amount about things at White Hart Lane.

15. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I'm surprised Man.City was so high up there on his "possible teams" list.

Anyways I hope Fulham beats Spurs.

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The Sports guy is seriously messed up.

He notes, West Ham have too much of a Hooligan element thus he can't support them. WHAT DO YOU THINK SPURS HAS YOU NUMPTY!!! I would love for this clown to go to a Spurs away match, against say, West Ham or Arsenal and see how 'friendly' they are.

His loss. COME ON YOU WHITES!

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Totally a "safe" pick in my eyes. He went top 5 because he didn't have the huevos to stick with a team lower and cheer them for a run at the top. Also,I think Tottenham is nearly as trendy as Bolton, so he didn't really gop out on a limb here. Youw would think from his writing that he would have just gone ahead and become a Lilly-Liverpool fan.

Man. City has the best jersey - p'shah! I guess....if you're a girl.

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Thats another thing PCB, he said he eliminated 5/6 teams due to the 'relegation' factor?! I found that just as appauling as his overall pick to support Spurs. What that says to me is that he feels that all American fans who are looking for a team shouldn't pick any that could be relegated.

That simply is the worst reason to NOT support a club. It shouldn't be about winning and success, picking a team should be about finding one that fits you best. A team doesn't dissapear once it is relegated, the club still lives on and its supporters are always there with the hope that they may rise again.

I picked Fulham because of its fans and I could care less if they were in the relegation fight. Ugh, this clown is killing me...

Thats my rant... :big grin:

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think the big reason he didn't pick a team that could be relegated is because of Michael Davis. How could he taunt the guy if the team he picked was relegated?

Anyways, I don't think his team is set in stone, especially since he has no history with the Spurs. As far as I know he hasn't seen one Premiership match, things change when you see teams play. That's what led me to Fulham as my team.

20. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I second everything you just said to a T. As strange as it sounds, the teams that just avoid relegation seem to experience more joy from their season than say....the scum at the top right now. Did any of you see the reaction that Portsmouth got from their fans when they sealed their fate to stay up? It was amazing!

It would be the American way to pick one of the "better" teams just to avoid a relegation struggle. Most Americans are not comfortable with the fact that a team can be dropped out of a league. And on that note, I really hope we can get a relegation system for the MLS here in the next 5-10 years....