Sentimental Ramble (Long)

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sullytex, May 4, 2010.

1. sullytex

sullytex Member

Well this is my first post after my repatriation back to Houston and it’s a little bittersweet for a multitude of reasons. The top two are I really loved living in England and my passion for FulhamFC. I was extremely lucky and fortunate to have been afforded the opportunity to work and live abroad. This is not meant to be a bragging post, just sharing a few great memories of the Fulham games I was able to attend over the past two years (call it therapy).

League Games
    Both the Man U defeats of 2 and 3 nil. At the time, I did not think Fulham could top the first victory yet alone the second for some time to come in the future. I was wrong.

Taking down Liverpool 3 to 1 at home, well because it’s Liverpool.

Losses at Villa and Chelsea. Why, because I traveled to the away games. Being outnumbered just increases the camaraderie of the Fulham fans. Chanting ‘We’re all going on a European Tour’ the game after Villa got the Europa boot was also quite nice.

Fulham V Everton. This was the final game of last year, and even though we lost, we had just secured our spot in Europa and had our best finish. Not much more to add to that!

After the above...all of them win or lose, just being there was a blast!

Europa
    Fulham 3 Vektra 0. Easy. Our first home Europa Match.

Fulham 1 AS Roma 1. Even though we gave up a VERY late goal, seeing teams like AS Roma is what the Europa league is all about (at least I thought back then, it might also be about winning it!)

Basel 2 Fulham 3. I traveled to Basel with the team for the first time in Europe. Awesome experience. Watching our team clinch the knockout stage in the heavy snow was phenomenal. What was my reward for this game....3 days later witnessing the whipping of Man U at home 3 nil.

Fulham 4 Juventus 1. I thought this one was likely the un-toppable game, couldn’t get any better than this right? Wrong again. I was cater-corner to Dempsey’s chip in the Hammy End and watched it come straight at me and float in. I will never forget the night my fellow Texan played a big part in taking down the Italian giants.

Fulham 2 Hamburg 1. Easily in the top 3 memorable sporting events I’ve attended. I did not buy a ticket as I thought I was going to be back in the US already. I still can’t believe I stumbled into a miraculous ticket tout while pouting on my way back to the Golden Lion. Best way to describe the Cottage - Rapturous. Not sure if I’ve come down from that high yet. Not a bad game to be my last one as a resident.

Fulham v Atletico Madrid – Sadly it looks like I am going to miss attending this one for a variety of reasons.

I was able to meet a few FUSA members at matches including American Mike, William, Lax Attack, Corky, amongst others. Also got to watch many of our Yanks Abroad in the Premier League and saw England v USA @ Wembley. Saw a variety of Championship and other league level games as well.

Well it was a great ride that sadly has come to an end. I am going to have serious withdrawal symptoms as the Houston Dynamo will be my main live football fix, sigh. I count myself very lucky as a Football fan to have had this opportunity. Now just need to start working the angles to get back for another assignment!

Only one way to sign off this post......COYWs!

edit: good catch on the Wolfsburg

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Great post. Front page material.

I just wonder if you did not mean Hamburg instead of Wolfsburg.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good stuff, indeed. Thanks, O-Sully.

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Good job. Welcome back to Texas.

5. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Definitely appreciated this thread. It was more sentimental, less rambling- you have a gift for being concise that I've never been able to grasp. I like the "Rapturous" description of the Cottage- it's coming from an agnostic (and no offense intended to any religious folk), but I think there are moments where sports fandom is like a religious experience (in a good way)- because it transcends what you believed to be possible and is a joyous communal experience.

As for living and working abroad, don't feel like you're bragging, even though I am jealous. I remember when I studied abroad in fall of 2004, I think I was one of the only kids in my study abroad group who was dreading leaving London. It took me a few years to get over the fact that I'd probably never live in England again, but I talked about it enough that it took a few of my friends a few additional years to really believe I'd gotten over it.

I hope I get to go to the Cottage again someday- in the mean time, feel free to make more sentimental posts so we can all live vicariously.

~Steve

6. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Also, your post reminds me how great the last two years have really been. It seems like there have been half a dozen "once in a lifetime" games that we thought the Whites couldn't top for quite some time and then they go and prove us wrong...

~Steve

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Fog! Definitely front page material!

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Later. This is good end of season stuff. Perhaps sully will do an epilogue once the furor dies down

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good thinking. There's going to be plenty during the next few days to distract us.

10. sullytex

sullytex Member

More than happy to add a bit more meat to the bone if you guys wish....now off to the pub!!!! COYWs