Ryan Tunnicliffe set for loan talks

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9182405/?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we're probably going to lose both Tunnicliffe and Cole. They would have gotten a chance under Rene, but recent acquisitions by a fired coach almost always get frozen out.

it's a shame, since the kid has what we need, but he'll probably be glad to get out as well.

The papers have said that Felix has reduced the amount of players who participate in first-team squad training. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the excluded players are under 25 years of age.

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Well, there is the total lack of attribution, and thus it is totally unclear if Ipswich is inquiring or Magath telling Ryan he can leave or Ryan telling both "I'm leaving". Devil is in the details.

It is a shame but I'm not surprised by this. As much as we love the idea of Cole and Tunnicliffe, they're completely green. Two appearances in 72 hours for a new team with a very one-dimensional game plan in said games does not reveal much. Don't think they belong in the side as much as the likes of Duff or Riise; of which neither should.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

If we do go down, something tells me that Rene's greatest contribution to the club will be signing those 2 youngsters. They will more than likely feature prominently in our attempt to bounce right back uo.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Tunnicliffe is a defensive mid and we have no shortage of those, so I can't fault Magath for not using him. And if he's not going to feature, better to send him back out on loan and let him continue to get first team playing time elsewhere. I don't see the move as a statement on his future with the club.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, he has no future with the club.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/25/fulham-bo ... e-4318100/?

I had a feeling from those Secret Footballer postings those two Rene signings were being put up to some test. Doesn't seem like they passed if they were.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... agath.html?

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

this happens all the time. When a manager who signs a young player is fired, his "boys" generally dont' get much of a look in. It happened with several American players in Europe, and we're not the only ones. When neither he nor Cole appeared in the game-day squad against WBA, I figured both would be gone.

It's my belief that they'll both be transferred out this summer. I expect Tunnicliffe to have a reasonably successful career. I don't think he's a defensive mid. I think he's a box-to-box type, and I think he's VERY talented.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Oh, I know that Hatter and I agree with you on both accounts, he's a box-to-box player and he's pretty much out of FFC. But I do have a suspicion that Magath gave them a little test to see if they might be worthwhile to keep for later use, he is an old-fashioned, mind-games manager from what I've read. It's a bit of shame these kids are not going to be given a chance.

12. SoCalJoe

I will agree that if Magath is here in the fall, Tunnicliffe will be sold and Cole will likely be loaned out, but if we get relegated I strongly feel Magath won't be around to slog through a Championship campaign, regardless of the 18 month contract he signed. The man obviously doesn't need money since he offered to manage Hamburg for free, but get a bonus if he saved them from the drop. If we do suffer that fate, I fully expect to see a different manager and with that a new beginning for Tunnicliffe. There will be a fire sale, and the likes of Parker, Karagounis, and Sidwell will be gone, leaving a hole for this promising young player to fill. Cole would probably be given a chance to compete for a spot, but since he got loaned out to a mid-table League 1 side he isn't as far along as Ryan.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It seems as though Magath is here for the long haul, according to him.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9185739/?
    Regardless of whether we're staying in the Premiership, there is going to be a lot of changes in the summer. That's a given.

14. SoCalJoe

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Cole has been returned from MK Dons -- long term injury it looks like.

16. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

There were similar rumors of an entitled attitude at Fulham before we loaned him out, that surfaced in the last month as well. Maybe Heather's thinking on special (punitive) treatment was very perceptive afterall.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The Return of Ryan Tunnicliffe

http://talksport.com/football/magath-pr ... 4051390977?