Remaining Matches - 9 More Points?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SCFulhamFan, Apr 24, 2007.

1. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

As it goes:

Fulham
    Date Day Time Home Away
    29-Apr Sun 11:00 Arsenal Fulham
    5-May Sat 10:00 Fulham Liverpool
    13-May Sun 10:00 Middlesbrough Fulham

Wigan
    Date Day Time Home Away
    28-Apr Sat 10:00 Wigan West Ham
    5-May Sat 10:00 Wigan Middlesbrough
    13-May Sun 10:00 Sheff Utd Wigan

Sheffield United
    Date Day Time Home Away
    28-Apr Sat 10:00 Sheff Utd Watford
    5-May Sat 12:15 Aston Villa Sheff Utd
    13-May Sun 10:00 Sheff Utd Wigan

Charlton
    Date Day Time Home Away
    28-Apr Sat 10:00 Blackburn Charlton
    5-May Sat 15:00 Charlton Tottenham
    13-May Sun 10:00 Liverpool Charlton

West Ham
    28-Apr Sat 10:00 Wigan West Ham
    5-May Sat 10:00 West Ham Bolton
    13-May Sun 10:00 Man Utd West Ham

Watford is SOL so they are not listed. The way I see it is our best chance of staying up is via West Ham and Charlton staying down. West Ham will lose to ManU and Bolton. Probably pick up a point with Wigan. Charlton will lose to Liverpool and Tottenham though I believe they will beat Blackburn. So if we win against Middlesbough and get a point against Arsenal we will be safe. But as they say football is a funny ole game.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: 9 More Points

The schedules definitely benefit Wigan and Sheffield United, but, since they also play each other that somewhat negates that. I think the best bet is that the Hammers and Charlton go down.

What benefits us in the closing stages is what Cookie left the team with -- league position and number of points away from the drop zone. We haven't improved on what was there two matches ago, but we haven't lost anything either.

I still like our chances.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Up the Fulham!!!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One good thing the EPL did was award place money. It stopped the clubs already safe from relegation for playing half-ass as they ran out the string. In 1974-75 Luton were relegated from the old 1st division because, in the last game of the season, powerhouse Liverpool played about six reserves against Spurs. Spurs' easy win that day sent Luton down.

The especially good thing this season for us is the horse race between Chelsea and Man Utd. They've been lethal against our fellow relegation candidates down the stretch and, after they screwed up agains 'boro this weekend, I think Man U are going to really take it to Wet Spam in their rematch.

5. K.Snyder

K.Snyder New Member

No way Charlton will beat Blackburn at home...I like Fulhams chances...

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I like Fulham's chances as well... but only because West Ham and Charlton are inept. Sheffield and Wigan worry me, because I think they're slightly better teams than Fulham right now. Love Paul Jewell by the way.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

When it comes to relegation and teams have their backs against the wall, don't rule out anything and don't say a team CAN'T win. I have been that way in the past and I have seen some crappy teams get some unreal results in the last month of the season.

That being said, don't be surprised if Charlton wins this weekend at Blackburn.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good point CT, so with that let's see the fellas come up w/the shock result at the Emirates. Of course here's also hoping Friedel keeps a clean sheet, DeMerit and the return of Marlon King surprises Sheffield U, and the Hammers don't take 3 pts. (that would be like taking 6 pts. since they should have been deducted at least 3 by the FA)

9. SCFulhamFan

Bottom as of Today:

15 Sheff Utd 36 -19 38
    16 Fulham 36 -21 36
    17 Wigan 36 -22 35
    18 West Ham 36 -27 35
    19 Charlton 36 -24 33
    20 Watford 36 -32 24

10. SCFulhamFan

What does everyone think?
    Can 36 points squeak by?
    Will Bolton and ManU pop those West Ham bubbles?
    Will Spurs and the Reds plunge that sword into the heart of Charlton?

Keep the faith and COYW!

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

In short, NO. I do not think 36 points will cut it. I am not so much worried about Charlton, as they have Liverpool and Tottenham who is still fighting for a UEFA Cup, as I am West Ham and Wigan. I just think Fulham will need at least a point and to be safe, a win to avoid the drop.

I do not know what to think of these two fixtures. Bolton will be a mixed bag as Big Sam has left. The club still has a chance for a UEFA Cup spot, but I am not sure how Allardyce's departure will affect the club. As for Manchester United, there is a real chance they will have the title wrapped by this match and with the FA Cup final and possibly the Champions League final after this match, do not be surprised if many first team regulars are rested. This is match is at Old Trafford though so that will mkae it tough for West Ham no matter who is on the pitch for the Red Devils.

YES. I am not so much worried about Charlton as I am about West Ham and Wigan.

Wigan plays Sheffield United in their last match and for the life of me, I can't figure out how Sheffield United has survived this season. They are crap and yet they are ahead of us and for the most part are comfortably up with only two games remaining. Regardless, I think Wigan can and will get a winning result thus leaving it between Fulham and West Ham on the final day of the season.

I am nervous my fellow Fulham friends. I have faith, but I am very nervous.

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I would think we'll need at least two more points.

I don't really know how they'll come, I just hope and hope some more that they will. I'm not going to bother predicting anything, I'm always wrong anyway. Right now I feel sickly nervous and anxious, constant twinge in my stomach refusing to go away. I can't get yesterday out of my head.

Being a Fulham supporter must take years off your life and add wrinkles to your face.

13. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I think Fulham just needs two more points. I'll be happy with a tie against Liverpool and a tie against Middlesborough. West Ham and Charlton have it tough. Bolton, Man U, Spurs, jeez. Fulham should squeak by.

14. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I think Wigan will loose their remaining games. West Ham will get a point or 2 in there. The reason I think Wigan will get beat is because captain Arjan de Zeeuw was ruled out for the rest of the season today with a messed up ankle.

Paul Jewel said he is going to be looking for "stand out players" in training this week and he will shake up his side. I hope this is for the worst on their part.

So a winless Charlton (very likely) and Wigan loosing their last 2 games (kinda likely) would see us stay up with the points we have right now I believe, no matter what West Spam do.

Link for Ref. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... =soccernet

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ugh...I know I've said before that I enjoy being a Fulham fan because its a bit of a roller coaster ride, but can there be just a little flat part on this ride before the big finale? My stomach is in knots.

I think I mentioned before in the chat room that Liverpool at home would be the team's best chance for three points, I think I'm going to stand by that. For some reason, I just believe the team will get something from that match.

If not, I might have to follow this site's advice on worrying for the rest of the season. The lightning bolt technique could be a bit of fun, but I will not be trying it at work though. :banana:

Also, I think Fulham do have a chance against Middlesboro on the road, despite the away record--that team isn't really any better in talent, just in confidence and form right now (yes, that goes a long way). But I still remain a bit optimistic on Fulham's chances of survival, but I'm not putting any money on it. :cry:

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with you Heather in thinking that Fulham will somehow, someway get a result on Saturday against Liverpool. I just have a feeling the team will come good and make us all proud with a great, memorable performance.

I do think we have a chance to Boro as well, but I would love it where we have not left it to the last day to know if we have been relegated or not. I hope this weekend is a victorious Saturday for Fulham. If not.....it will be a very long, and nerve-wracking week for myself and many others who support Fulham.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

In times in which it's easy to be pessimistic one must choose the difficult path. I share CT's belief that a result will be had. Furthermore, a win coupled w/a loss by EITHER Wigan or WH (prefer the karma Gods to finally bite the Spammers in the arse) and we'll all be the biggest bandwagon Spurs fans next Monday.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's only one mojo-working scenario I haven't tried, and WE are going to try it Saturday morning. HatterMom has promised to wear her last-season Bocanegra away shirt beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday. All of my jerseys/FUSA shirt have lost their juju.

We'll see.

19. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I've been training with my FFC hat on. I managed to drill a bicycle kick into the top right corner of the goal from 18 yards out. I figure if I can do that with the hat on, then I'll wear it while I watch the Liverpool game. I needed a bit of luck to get that shot in and the boys will need a little as well.

20. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

My Liverpool fan friend told me that Rafa Benitez will field his reserves if Liverpool beats Chelski in Champions League this week. But if they lose, he'll field the regulars. Go Liverpool!