Realistic goal for next year?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoFan, May 12, 2008.

1. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

Looking forward to next season, (because what else am I going to do for the next 3 months?), I'm trying not to get too caught up the elation of Fulham's wonderful turnaround.

While I'm already dreaming of winning 4 out of 5 all season long and challenging for a spot in Europe (on place, not on fair play), I think a nice, more realistic goal to set would be 50 points/10th place. Anything better would be gravy. If they play half as well, and with even half the passion they showed over the last several weeks, a 10th-place finish should be a readily achievable goal.

Any thoughts before we all go back to dreaming of crushing Manure and Chelski 4-0 each next year?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'd agree with you...I think a 10th place finish or higher is completely within reach, if Fulham can start finding the net more often. One more solid midfielder and forward should do it.

3. Old_Bugger

Old_Bugger New Member

10 to 12th,we have to see how we sign players -cover players ie cover for injury or total replacment ie 1 in 1 out we will have too see,but thats the fun of close season

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Hmm. Realistic goal. Somewhere in the 10th-14th range, and mathematically safe from relegation by early April.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Realistic goal for next year?

Stole the words from my mouth, jmh...safety guaranteed with 3-4 weeks remaining is my realistic hope.

6. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

RE: Re: RE: Realistic goal for next year?

A Cup final would be pleasant as well.

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I would like to see them get aggressive and play for an inside the top 10 finish as they have done before, however mid table would seem more achievable (as you all mentioned), cosnidering the size of the club Fulham has, and as Lyle mentioned on another thread, we are not very deep.

Maybe, juuuuuuuuuuuuuust maybe (I'm doing my best jean Girard here), MAF will take the momentum from the end of this year and use it to move to another level and spend some dough.

8. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Play like you're going into the Top 10, but I'll be super happy with a 13th or 14th finish. Considering what is Fulhamish, they'll almost have to do that.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

With the number of teams in the EPL who can afford better teams than Fulham next year... 10th place is pushing it.

We'll be fighting against relegation next year as well.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

We're talking about next year already?!? Even the players are taking a little time off! I'm at least going to wait until the transfer window opens.

11. sublicon

sublicon New Member

I think we need to be at least 10th to be mathematically safe that early. Wasn't Reading around 15th or 14th in early April?

Call me unrealistic, but I think Fulham can do better. With St. Woy's wisdom and a modest but thorough overhaul of the garbage on the team, I think we could shoot for a solid 10th place spot, or very close.

In addition, if we do have a UEFA Cup spot, and again I may be unrealistic here, I'd like to see us make a run for the Round of 32. I'm not sure we'd make it there, and if we got there, I'm not sure we'd make it past, but I'd like to see it.

the end. :)

P.S. We're not allowed to pull a West Brom after our escape. That is all.

12. Gregweaver

Gregweaver New Member

I'd have to say 13th-16th is realistic. Stoke and the playoff winner would be favored to go down, WBA could make some noise. Alot depends on the transfers (and if we can manage a healthy McBride all season). But it everything stays about the same I'd see us still hanging with Sunderland, Wigan, Boro, and Bolton in the bottom half.

13. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

circle the date. almost a month away from knowing the schedule.

The 2008–09 Premier League season (known as the Barclays Premier League for sponsorship reasons) will be the seventeenth since its establishment. Manchester United are the defending champions, having won their 17th league title on the final day of the previous season. The campaign, of whose fixtures will be announced on 19 June will begin on Saturday 16 August 2008, and will end in May 2009. A total of 20 teams will contest the league, 17 of which will have contested in the 2007-08 season, and three of which will have been promoted from the Football League Championship (the league immediately below the Premier League). Starting with this season, clubs will now be allowed to name seven substitutes on the bench instead of five.

14. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Based on the way things sit, at this moment, I'd agree.

It really all depends on what happens with transfers this off-season. Who is kept, who is released, who is picked up ...

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

We are not poor!
    We are not poor!
    Our chairman owns Harrods!
    We are not poor!

Spend smartly, boys, spend smartly (i.e. don't bring in the USMNT this year to replace the N.I. squad from last year).

16. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Realistic goal for next year?

What EPL owner isn't rich? It doesn't matter that Al Fayed is a multi-millionaire or billionaire... Fulham isn't a rich club. A number of clubs in the Championship have bigger stadiums and draw more fans. There are two clubs in League One that are bigger clubs than Fulham (assuming Leeds stays down).

17. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Realistic goal for next year?

Do you support this club, or are you here to just naysay and hate? I'm curious.

If you are a supporter, truthfully . . you're allowed actually have some hope and look fondly upon the possibility of a return to Fulham's 2002/2003 form.

Last I checked, Al Fayed owned the team then! Looks like your "other clubs richer than us, we can't be 10th" hypothesis is in the trash.

Try again.

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Smart man Steve!

19. ChicagoFan

ChicagoFan New Member

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thank goodness West Ham are going down. :)