Question from a Rookie...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by cottagerinmemphis, Sep 4, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There are actually a lot of fans of lower-division clubs that hate us -- and for much the same reason that Fulham fans hate Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. It wasn't that long ago that MAF bought the club and started spending 4 to 5 times as much money as anyone in the division [at the time], and Fulham shook off their lower-division status and moved up to the EPL. To Brentford, Orient, QPR, and even Charlton and Crystal Palace [and Luton Town for that matter], we WERE Chelsea.

When we moan about the disparity in income and the resultant difficulty in getting top players, we need to remember that we were the haves for a while, and that a lot of resentment towards Fulham came about because of it.

2. andyns

andyns New Member

Don't forget Derby. Last game of 82-83 season, their fans invaded the pitch near the end of the game when it was 1-0 them, so we couldn't find an equalizer. The game was abandoned, the result stayed, preventing promotion to the first division.

3. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Is there anything after non-league football?

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Yes, non-existence.

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Yeah Mikes Right but after Non-League it's really local clubs mainly run from Pubs, and friends that have formed teams, they play in Leagues but have no status.

If your ever in England during Football season go along to a local park that has a pitch you see how intense it gets. Your see more action then the EPL sometimes. and when the fights breakout the supporters on both sides join in.

ENJOY!

6. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

I guess the closest thing we can relate Lower League football to here in the states is the heated rivalries in college football....Ohio St./Michigan, Alabama/Auburn ect..... Watching fans of each team go at it all game and then when thay have comsumed their weight in beer.....its on like a pot-a-neckbone.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi All,

I thought I would add my answers to the various questions that have been floating around.

Rivals:
    Brentford (main derby in the 80's)
    Chelsea (proper derby game, did not play a competitive game for 21 years until we arrived in the prem)
    QPR (proximity, and both are traditional 2nd teir teams.

Semi-Rivals:

At the start of the 90's Leyton Orient was the local derby. They hate us, we dont care about them.

Not Rivals:
    Gillingham. They killed Matthew Fox, we hardly ever play them, they are rarely in the same division, they just murdered a kid for being a Fulham fan.

QPR has not been a big rival in 30 years as we have spent so little time in the same divisions.

The football league has four divisions. Apart from our rise over the last seven years we havfe spent most ouf our time in the second and third teir of English football. I still think of the leagues in terms of 1st to 4th division and then map the current names onto them.

Once you leave the football league there is the confernce, underneath that are 3 regional leages that feed into the conference. Each of the regional leagues have divisions and go down. There are various ways for a team to enter a regional league but usually it will be by election or promotion. This regional leagues are followed by district leagues. Saturday leagues are more competitive than sunday leagues (traditionally pub team leagues).

Any team in England can play in the FA cup, subject to qualifying. It is unlikely but possible for a sunday pub team to play in the FA cup proper.