Promotion & Relegation, circa 2016 AD

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Apr 27, 2016.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Looks like Burnley's going right back up after being relegated last season. And we now know the once mighty Villans are joining us in the 2nd tier for the first time since 1987. As for the rest???? Benitez has Newcastle flailing in the right direction, but is it too late? I'd bet on them to escape as opposed to Sunderland and Norwich. It'll be interesting to see who gets in behind Burnley. I'd like to see the Seagulls and Stockdale do it, but I'm afraid Middlesbrough is too strong for them to catch. Then once you get into the playoffs, anything can, and usually does, happen.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When you look at the top of the Championship table, it almost seems unfair that there aren't three automatic promotions.

As for relegation from the Prem, I like Sunderland's chances of survival more than that of Newcastle or Norwich. Their defense is sound and they can and do pick up key goals. Their young American right back is doing the do for them as well. Should they survive, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after him on a permanent contract. He'll never get in the Tottenham side, but he is very much Premier League quality.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Norwich & Sunderland have a game in hand, but Newcastle has a good shot at winning all 3, their toughest match is Spurs on the final day (Palace at home & Villa away are other 2), and if the title race is over what kind of team will Tottenham trot out there? Would be inclined to say Norwich is most likely to get relegated (they are club yo-yo), Sunderland's schedule is manageable and their GD is better than their arch rival, so hoping (Yedlin factor) the Black Cats escape again.

Brighton and Boro play the last day, which will probably be like a cup final. I can totally see the team that misses out (Burnley being the 3rd team) of automatic promotion flame out of the playoffs

4. jumpkutz

One thing's for sure. There's gonna be at least one pretty big ground that's not gonna need all the room come next season. St. James holds, what, around 52,000, and the Stadium Of Light 49,000 plus? Gonna be a lot of empty seats masquerading as fans. And if both of 'em go down, the league's gonna see some serious attendance revenue drop off.

HatterDon likes this.
  5. jumpkutz

Left out League 1 promotion candidates. Wigan looks pretty certain for promotion, and Burton Albion are almost there. The playoffs would include the following if they started today: Walsall, Millwall, Bradford City and Barnsley. However, Gillingham and Scunthorpe United are just one and two points, respectively, behind Barnsley for the final playoff spot. Will be glad to see Wigan heading back upwards. Dave Whelan is one of the more intriguing owners in England. Seems to get the most bang for his buck (quid?) than anybody without oil money or named Abramovich.

HatterDon likes this.
  6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

With Brighton drawing today and Burnley winning it sets up an impromptu playoff for the last remaining automatic promotion spot when Brighton and Middlesbrough face off in their last match of the season. They are even on points, but Middlesbrough has the edge on goal differential so Brighton must win to get automatic promotion.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Congrats to Burnley on promotion to EPL for 2016-17 season. My preemptive condolences on their relegation to the Championship for 2017-18 season.

I'd love to see Boro join them, and BHA as well via the playoffs. There's a steep drop after the top 3, but you never know with the playoffs.

I dont think Villa will be going back up. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Wolves and went straight to L1. They're not just awful, they're completely rudderless from boardroom to bathroom. Lets be thankful we dont need a total rebuild like they do...

Would LOVE to Sunderland in the Championship, if only because i'm sick of their different season/different manager/same ol' crappy season but barely surviving thing they have going. Since they went back up to EPL in 2008, they've finished: 15th, 16th, 13th, 10th, 13th, 17th, 14th, 16th. In that span, eclipsed 40pts just 3 times. Go away already.

That said, if by some chance, Newcastle and Sunderland drop into the Championship, will their financial clout allow them to "buy" back promotion? Newcastle was able to do this in 2009-10, but since then clubs have become very sophisticated in their scouting/recruitment and tactics. Be fascinating to see what could happen

encorespanish likes this.
  8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

While it's not over, just how many lives do these Black Cats have? Big come from behind win over Chelsea today.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

They've been playing well under Big Sam. I think they're safe midweek against Everton. The match at Watford should be a formality.

If you didn't watch the match today -- and I usually don't watch Chelsea in case they win -- you missed the continued maturation of DeAndre Yedlin. He played solid defense, almost scored Sunderland's opener and provided the assist for their winner. I think the supporters have warmed to him. I hope Spurs transfer him there during the summer.

10. jumpkutz

DOWN GOES FRAZIER! DOWN GOES FRAZIER! Oops, sorry. Flashbacks are hell.
    Down go Norwich City and Newcastle. Big Sam outdueled Rafa, so we'll be playing at St. James's Park next season. And Roberto Martinez is in deep doo doo.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Look for Sunderland to finish around 9th next season.

Oh, and if you watched the match, you'd have seen just how poor a replacement for Tim Howard Jose Robles is. Two of three goals would have been stopped by any Championship keeper you could name.

and here's a hard-to-believe fun fact:
    • Sunderland were in the relegation zone for 237 days this season but have survived; Aston Villa will have been in the relegation zone 233 days by the end of the season

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

One of the bigger surprises that's gone by quietly is Bournemouth not only staying up, but doing so while staying out of the relegation scrap.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

as pleased as I am with myself for seeing Sunderland's steady improvement and predicting their safety, I must acknowledge that I was that much wrong about Bournemouth. I thought their all-out attacking style would make them easy meat for the counter-punchers in the Prem. They started out that way, but turned out to be pretty good players.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that they and Watford will be good bets for relegation next season.

14. jumpkutz

Wednesday and Hull take command at home. Brighton down two going home, but Derby must overcome 3 goal deficit to get back in it.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched both matches. Derby showed absoluetly nothing at home, and will be defeated before the kickoff of the second leg at Hull.

As for Brighton, I can't remember seeing a side so snakebit. Three early substitutions for injury followed by a FOURTH injury on 50 minutes. Counting injury time, they played with 10 men for 45 minutes and conceded only one goal.

This was on the road, but there's also no real cause for optimism. None of the four injuries was superficial enough to make me think that any of them could come back on Monday. Add to that, there will still be players unavailable due to suspension and earlier injury.

I'll be watching on Monday and hope, somehow, that Brighton can stay alive for Wembley. Having watched the four sides, though, Hull looks strong and confident and should finish it out. Once again, hard luck for Brighton, who only missed automatic promotion on goal difference.

16. jumpkutz

I'd suspect a lot of fans in England and elsewhere would like to see the Owls back up. They've got quite a successful history, not the least of which being the third oldest club in England. Founding member of the Premier League in '92, four league championships, three FA Cups. a League Cup and a couple of European adventures in the '60's and '90's. And, of course, they play at the famous (or infamous, if you will) Hillsborough Stadium, site of the crush disaster in '89. They've been out of the top tier since 2000, so I suspect there are a few people rooting for them outside the diehard supporters to go up.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've always liked Wednesday, and they have a history with Americans -- Harkes, Whitbread, Simek. There's also a dearth of Yorkshire clubs in the top flight. Thing is, I want Brighton to go up.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Fashion police alert - the Wednesday's keeper's kit is awful - reminds me of the early '90s keeper shirts that were equally atrocious. That said, BHA and Sheffield are really having a go at each other - good match.

19. jumpkutz

Gallant effort by the Rams to square things at home tonight, but Hull prevails. So it'll be Sheffield Wednesday against Steve Bruce's men on the 28th at Wembley. Who do you like? Or, perhaps more importantly, who do you think has the best chance to stick in the Prem at the end of next season? Wednesday didn't look too comfortable at the Amex yesterday, Hull nearly choked at Pride Park. I dunno.

20. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I'll go with Wednesday next Saturday. Why? I just wanted to say "I'll go with Wednesday next Saturday."

As for next year I'll predict that Middlesbrough will be the only one that stays up.