Preakness & Belmont

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, May 17, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'll leave it to Jump for analysis, but hope Orb makes it 2 for 2.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Preakness week is a wonderful time of the year. Nothing like a stole of black-eyed susans!

The only time I really miss Maryland.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

A co-worker, who's a much more serious handicapper, and I were discussing this topic this week. His point? Connections skip the Preakness to rest up and take a shot at the potential Triple Crown winner in the Belmont. In the old days, it was tradition to run all three if you had a horse talented enough to do it. Not any more. So for that reason, and the fact that a 9 horse field significantly improves one's chances as opposed to the 20 horse stampede that has become the Derby, I'll be shocked if Orb does not win the black eyed susans. If he does, we'll see who lines up to challenge him in New York, which, by the way, is his home base. None of the horses entered in Baltimore who contested the Derby seem capable of reeling him back in. In fact, I can't for the life of me understand why you'd run Itsmyluckday and Goldencents here after finishing 15th and 17th respectively in Louisville. Color me stunned if either of these colts challenge Orb. The wild card? Governor Charlie. Couldn't make it to the starting gate at Churchill after coming up with a bruised foot on Monday of Derby week, he's got the pedigree and has the Bob Baffert/Mike Pegram team behind him.

I'm hoping Orb will do it. The last true Triple Crown contender in recent times in my opinion was Big Brown, who faded badly at the Belmont in unusually high heat. 3+ decades without one is a bit much. He should at least get the chance barring any mishaps at Pimlico later today.