1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Is the next MLS team. Is anybody on the site happy about that?

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Of course not. And now there is talk that Lebron might be part-owner of Beckham's Miami team. Ugh. Twist the knife a little more Lebron. Professional sports teams in Florida have been noteworthy for their horrible attendance, have they not? Yes I know Orlando (or one of the lower tier FL pro soccer teams) had some impressive attendance but there is a difference between drawing 12,000 and drawing 25,000 or more which is what MLS should be aiming for at this point. And it's too damn hot there for good exciting soccer.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Have to concur w/Mo. Hope to be proven wrong, but practically every professional sports team based in Florida is mediocre in terms of support. The 3 NFL teams are ranked 24th-Jags, 27th-Dolphins, 31st-Bucs in terms of lowest % of stadium sold, and Mr.Khan's team would be 32nd if it was for the fact the Jags tarp off 12K seats that don't count in those stats. Both the Rays (who have been great the last 6-7 years) and Marlins (who do stink, but even in their 2 World Series years would draw 4-7K to regular season games) draw flies. The Heat draw well now only due to LeBron. The Orlando Magic are ranked 21st so far in attendance. The city itself is smallish 77th in population (249,OOO+), but does have a large surrounding population (2.1 Million, making it the 26th ranked Metro), but will they come out in the heat and humidity? Doubtful.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not in the slightest ... but I'm not surprised. All the leagues keep putting teams in Florida and they're all pretty much poorly supported.

5. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Nope. The strategy of going into a city that only has one sport is a smart one. Doing it in a city that doesn't draw well for that one sport, not so much. Doing so anywhere in the state of FL is moronic. Nothing against FL, but there's a mountain of evidence to suggest it won't work.

6. articbob

articbob Member

No. Simply no. And every other Railhawk fan I've talked to in the last 4 days agrees. I bet Disney is going to sponsor the team and their lion logo turns out looking like a bunch of Mufasa heads(They will playing their games next year at Disney's(ESPN) Wide World of Sports complex). I'm not jealous of Orlando for going to MLS, I just don't think the fanbase is strong enough compared to last 4 teams MLS took. Let's just call them Toronto FC south and be done with it.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Orlando has most of the things I would like to see from a new franchise.

- Strong lower league attendance averaging 8,100 for 2013 per wiki.
    - Soccer specific downtown stadium approved
    - What looks like a strong ownership group.
    - Only one other pro franchise
    - In a top 20 metropolitan TV market not currently covered by another franchise.

I am a bit concerned about the max capacity of the stadium if it's not expandable. Since Orlando has a good fan base to build from I'm less concerned about Florida attendance history in Orlando than I am in Miami if and when it is announced.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I agree. First, Miami was an abysmal failure. Most marketing concepts failed,there. And I dont believe an ethnic association is gonna do it, either.

Secondly Tampa failed because of reasons other pro franchises there have a problem .. local denizens too laid back?

Since drive-time from Tampa to Orlando is 2 hours, it may work. I knew a number of Crew ST holders who drove that far. I think the answer is a location toward Tampa.

9. chal1oye

chal1oye New Member

I bet Disney is going to sponsor the team and their lion logo turns out looking like a bunch of Mufasa heads(They will playing their games next year at Disney's(ESPN) Wide World of Sports complex). I'm not jealous of Orlando for going to MLS, I just don't think the fanbase is strong enough compared to last 4 teams MLS took. Let's just call them Toronto FC south and be done with it. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1282#sthash.iYkV3PaD.dpuf

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The missus read that the owners of FC Dallas and the Houston Dynamo want San Antonio in the league. We've already god a soccer-specific stadium -- sponsored by Toyota -- and it's designed so that its capacity can be doubled to 16k rather rapidly.

We'll see what happens, but we really need to get a franchise here. I want to get excited about the game again.