Onyewu Watch

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tibor

tibor New Member

I'd love nothing more to see Gooch sign with Fulham; I think he could help quite a bit. At the same time, if he's holding out for the most exposure or the highest bidder, I almost have to say 'good for him'. If he goes to a team like Chelski and actually plays a lot, that's only good exposure for him and American Soccer in general.

If he, however, goes to the highest bidder and rides the pine, he'll just be another athlete looking for a payday, which would be disappointing.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I, like I am guessing many others, is getting really tired of this whole "Gooch" fiasco. I wish he would just decide upon a club and join or if not, tell everyone you are staying put until the summer when another circus surrounding him will begin.

The more this saga goes on and on, the more I am starting to think that I do not want him at Fulham. Now, I do not know what his agent is telling or what he is thinking in his mind. All I have to go on is the actions I see, or lackthereof in this case, to know the Gooch probably does NOT want to play at Fulham.

That being said, if he does NOT want to play at Fulham and has aspirations for a bigger club, he can take a hike. We do not need players on this club who do NOT want to be here.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun here with Onyewu, but he has shown me nothing to think he wants to play here. Therefore, go elsewhere and leave Fulham out of the picture and let Fulham move on.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Tom.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I go with an earlier Pettyfog post on this thread. I don't necessarily think that Gooch is being all that self-serving. I think he's trying to secure his future. I don't get the idea that he's playing one club against another.

Yes, we made an offer, but it was Standard who turned it down -- not Gooch. I think there's some validity in the argument that a successful loan to a high-profile club like Chelsea -- involved as they are in two domestic cup competitions as well as the Champions League [although he'd be cup-tied for that I'm sure] will enhance his value, which took a lot of underserved hits after one bad game in the WC.

I think he's a young man of good character, considerable intelligence, and tremendous talent. I think that a move to the EPL will give him the ability to "move on to the next level" as the kids like to say. I want him at the Cottage because I bleed Black and White. But I also want him to go someplace where he can play regularly and become what I believe he is capable of becoming: the world's next great central defender.

If he signs somewhere else, I'll be disappointed, but I'll get over it. The only thing that would bring me down was if he moved permanently to Chelsea or Inter or Barca and spent the next two years not playing. That would retard his progress and hurt the USMNT. I'm trusting that he's smart enough to know that playing is the most important thing, and that he has his agent on a short leash.

My last word on Gooch until he signs -- still hoping against hope that he does so with us.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

Gooch Watch, Day 25

I agree with Tom.

Don, I thought we had finally agreed on a price with Standard Ligue (or wer at least very close) and Gooch then visited us and then turned us down.

I don't know that much about him, certainly nothing about what kind of person he is. From what I've seen, thought, I'm not sure what he wants, and I'm guessing he may not be sure either. If he really wanted to play for Fulham, he'd be signed already and on the pitch this Saturday. One reason we've had a good team this year is that we have been playing players who want to play for us.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He turned us down because of the kind of money we offered. We should stop being so damn cheap and maybe we might have a chance of getting these kinds of players. From what I have read he wanted something like 25K a week which is totally acceptable for a player who would be a star signing. I don't blame him for wanting to get paid if that means going to Milan or wherever then so be it. We need Gooch and now we should go back with an improved offer and if he declines then move on to the next player we want.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

And finally, to apparently put a fork in this thread, as it appears done:

BRUSSELS (Friday, January 26, 2007) -- After being courted by several of the top teams in Europe, United States central defender Oguchi Onyewu signed with Olympique Marseille of the French Ligue 1, it was reported today in Belgium and France.

Standard de Liège, which is currently tied for third place in Belgium's Jupiler League, will receive an undisclosed transfer fee from Marseille.

Onyewu had been linked to clubs in Spain, Italy, England and France. Fulham, an English Premier League club which already had United States striker Brian McBride and defender Carlos Bocanegra, and was then in the process of finalizing its acquisition of American midfielder Clint Dempsey, offered a transfer fee approaching $2 million for Onyewu earlier this month, but the proffer was rejected. It was reported that the transfer offer was too small, but Onyewu's agent, Will Sherling, said it was the player's decision not to go to Fulham, though he did not give a reason.

During the summer, Onyewu turned down an offer to move to Middlesbrough of the Premier League.

AC Milan and Lazio of Italy's Serie A were said to be interested in Onyewu, but nothing came of talks with those teams. In recent days, much specualation surrounded a possible move to two-time defending EPL champion Chelsea, which reportedly offered Liège $3.95 million for the transfer.

Sherling confirmed the offer and said intense negotiations had taken place, while French champion Lyon had also been in discussions for Onyewu.

"Lyon wants to sign the player," Sherling told Associated Press. "They want to do the deal, but they want him to stay at Liège until the end of the summer."

The Chelsea deal fell through, according to media reports, because Onyewu was concerned that Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho would leave at the end of the season and he might not fit into a new coach's plans.

Onyewu spent three years with Metz (2002-04) in France, a period which included a loan to La Louvière of Belgium, before moving to Liège. He speaks French and is quite familiar with Ligue 1. That clearly made him desirable to Marseille, where he will likely start from the moment he arrives. According to Belge La Gazette des Sports, that could be as soon as this weekend.

Marseille currently stands in second place with a record of 11-7-3 for 36 points, even with Lens (10-5-6) on points, but well behind league-leading Lyon (16-3-2, 50 points). There is a bitter for second place and its attendant berth in the European Champions League with seven teams within six points of Marseille and Lens.

Marseille identified a need for help in back as a top priority for the January transfer window.

Another factor that might have made the American defender more appealing to Marseille is the club is about to be sold to a Canadian group headed by businessman Jack Kachkar. The pharmaceutical magnate is looking to buy the 1993 European champion for around $130 million from owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus, club president Pape Diouf told the media Tuesday.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, he's going to a side where he can play right away, and that's in good position for Champion's League. And he didn't sign with the Blue Poo.

All I can say is "Good luck, big guy and keep developing as a CB for the USMNT."

It'll probably be a relief for a lot of you to stop hearing PCB and I pitching him constantly.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Parlez-vous Francais?

Merde!

Oh well, glad it's all over.

Now to find a French prostitute who will utter the phrase, "voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?" And have a "menage a trois".

That's it. All the French that jumps to mind. And yes, I should get my mind out of the gutter, or cheneau.

11. tibor

tibor New Member

RE: Parlez-vous Francais?

Well looks like he got what he wanted. A top flight (G14) club, in a country where he's played a lot, and is fluent in the language. Good for him, I say.

12. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I still think Fulham needs an upgrade at CB and that Oneywu would have fit that bill perfectly; but I'm happy Oneywu will get a chance to try his hand in Ligue 1 yet again.

I wish him nothing but success at OM and maybe he'll come to Fulham when that contract is done (heh dream big, right?).

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

It seems he just likes France. Started his career there then goes back. As cool as West London and the Cottage are I hear Marseille's not to shabby. And check out their stadium, Its not as old as the Cottage but it was built in 1921 so its got some history to it.

http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/ ... odrome.jpg

Throw in Champions Leauge Football and I can see his logic. No hard feelings, I wish him luck. But we need a new CB NOW! I'm getting worried.

14. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Why are there always flares? You think they would try and police that a bit more.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

They use flares in lots of places, even at RFK stadium. I don't see them as a huge problem, if people don't throw them onto the field or at people.

BTW...Good for Onyewu, I'm glad for him, as he went to a league and team he wanted. Now, I hope he improves his game for the USMNT.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I suppose you can put the Onyewu saga down to:
    "Marches to a Different Drummer"..

He has no need to be among familiar faces

Looks for the best combination of profile and playing time, in order to improve himself and raise the bar on his own performance.

Likes French chicks

I'll look on the bright side of it, pretend he did it because there would have been too many US team Yanks on Fulham and sometimes would have hurt Fulham.

heh..

17. BC

BC New Member

While I'm disappointed he didn't end up with us, I'm glad he found a place that he wanted and, most importantly, that it wasn't Chelski.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'd rather have him at Newcastle. At least we'd be able to see him play more often. Just hope he doesn't start taking pointers from Bramble.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Suppose that he's signed to Marseille beginning in summer, and Liege can loan him till then?