Onyewu Watch

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Onyewu might think he can go to a better team and step in and play, but I am not seeing it. He is a good defender that could help a team like Fulham but I do not see him playing consistently for one of those teams.

Playing games is the most important factor in getting better and better. Onyewu going to one of those teams I do not think will help him much in his career in terms of improving and getting better. Perhaps after a few seasons at a club like Fulham then the big boys could come calling and a move there would make sense for him, but now is the not the time in my book.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've been pitching hard for Gooch since I joined this site, but if he's really turning down FFC to sit on the bench in Serie A, then I think he's let his agent speak too much for him. At this point, if we get Deuce and Milan gete Gooch, I'd say we got the better deal.

I don't see him starting a lot for any of the big clubs in Italia, and he'll have to go to AC if he wants to stem the flood of red cards. If he doesn't, he'd better learn to head flares.

I's regusted

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I can't imagine Gooch will go to a bigger club to sit on the bench, but as the rest of the "news" we get to sit and wait.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

as competitive as I am....if someone is dumb enough to pay me big money to sit on their bench....that would be hard to pass on.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I cannot think of a professional footballer who wants to sit on the bench of a giant team rather than play week-in, week-out of a top flight team.

Reasons:

1 - It's much harder to be picked for international duty playing in Milan Reserves

2 - You cannot improve yourself so that you can play first team regulally.

3- The mentality of these guys is competitive and they want to win. You cannot do that on the bench. Reflected glory counts for nothing!

4 - The money may be better, but the amount they are being paid is so large that after a certain point it becomes a little irrelevant. He won't be a top earner anyhow.

Having said that, Yanks Abroad has also linked him with Lazio and Marseille, both of which may offer Champions League football.

6. psand22

psand22 Member

I know, for most people, it's all about the benjamins. You're looking to get the best deal, especially when you hold the upper hand. So I can see him working both sides to get a better deal.

He has to remember, what happened when he had the chance to move to Boro (I think thats the team) and they backed off after his WC play. I think he needs alittle more playing time and I think Fulham would be a good stop for him. If he lives up to expectations, he will get his chance to cash in in a few years, because we won't be able to pay him.

But I can see the allure of playing in the Serie A and its a roll of the dice. Guarenteed playing time or the challange of working his way into the line up at the Milans....I'm sure he's having a tough time with his decision.

7. jreid19

jreid19 Member

Buffalo, Home of the Wing and City of Raw Deals
    Barra Boy from TFI is saying that Gooch is going to sign tomorrow.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

my answers to your reasons:
    1- So what, I've got my millions.
    2- So what, I've got my millions.
    3- So what, I've got my millions.
    4- So what, I've got my millions.

also, i doubt every footballer fits into the #3 category. I think there are alot of guys out there that care more about themselves than anything else. Don't think I'm labeling Gooch as this type of player, i'm just stating the fact that it would be tempting to not take the money and run, er sit on the bench.

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I think he just wants to play against Luca Toni some more. Too bad Jared Borgetti doesn't play for Middlesbrough.

10. duhduhdee

duhduhdee New Member

i think mcbride needs to have a sit down with him and let him know what the deal is. if brian isnt willing to i will.

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think he could start for AC Milan, but he wouldn't have a chance for Inter. AC Milan are having a horrible year and I believe Nesta is injured and i'm not so sure if Kaladze is really Milan quality at CB. He would get games there, but at Inter he wouldn't because there defense has been doing really well and Materazzi has played better in the last couple of seasons. With players like Cordoba,Materazzi and Samuel he could be 4th choice at the club. I think Onyewu would be making a mistake by joining Inter however, if he chose AC Milan then I would understand.

12. duhduhdee

duhduhdee New Member

i think fulham might be beating a dead horse with gooch. personally i think its all come down to money. he's still got a lot to learn especially coming to a top flight team. he should just jump on the chance. forget italy join his boys over in the black and white.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

There are loads of examples of players who have been frozen out who will move to play top flight football. At Fulham alone - Steed at the start of the seasons, Collins John will go because he has no chance to play first team now.

Can you name any players who have taken money to sit on the bench? When it becomes clear that they are not going to break into the first team they move on.

Montella came to us because he wanted first team football! He could have sat on the Roma bench for the same money.

Volz and Boa Morte both left Arsenal with time on their contracts to come to Fulham so they could play first team football. Look at the young players that have left Fulham over the last 5 years.... Hammond and Willocks both dropped down divisions to play first team football, with more than a year to run on their contracts. If it was money they wanted they would have been better staying with us.

Finally, people who do not fit into category 3 are people like Collins John. He will find himself out of football if he does not alter his thinking!

14. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Fulham's bid to sign American defender Oguchi Onyewu from Standard Liege has been hijacked by Inter Milan. (Daily Star)

15. jmh

jmh New Member

So, errrmmm, given the reports that Gooch was given an end-of-day Thursday (ie today) deadline to make a decision, and that we haven't heard anything definitive (either official or unofficial) on that front, does that mean no news is bad news? [​IMG]

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Since its known that Fulham wanted to announce Deuce and Gooch on the same day but today went ahead and announced Dempsey I'd say things aren't looking good on the Gooch front.

17. duhduhdee

duhduhdee New Member

gooch has been jaded.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Speaking of "jaded".. recent mention that Mourinho had been interested in Gooch may have him thinking second thoughts about Inter.

It's a quick trip from Fulham to Chelsea and Onyewu MIGHT just realize there's no better way to impress a Premiership boss than playing against him. Certainly better than - only possibly - sitting on the bench.

So dont count the chicken eaten by the fox yet, kids!

I predict no news is good news and he comes in after all.

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Well, I certainly still hope Onyewu comes to the Cottage.

That said, are there any Plan Bs? If Gooch says no to Fulham or goes elsewhere and says nothing to Fulham, Fulham still needs help at CB.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Learn how to pronounce Ujfalusi.