Oh, well.. next time...

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 2, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the England team (and USA, for that matter) will be watching Germany and wishing they'd had a manager like Klinsmann.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

England is kicking themselves because they have the talent to win the World Cup and they did not. I could go on and on about this, but I won't.

The US plain and simply did not have the talent to win this. We are down to the semifinals. The US had no chance from the get go to get this far. I do not care who was coaching this team they were not going to make it this far.

The US at this point does not have the talent and depth in their squad to win a World Cup. That is just the way I see it. I am sure some American homers will get on me about this, but the US is not even close to the fifth best team in the world and quite frankly, I am tired of even talking about this overrated team. They were crap qualifying against shit teams, they were crap in their friendlies leading up to the tournament and they were crap in the World Cup.

The US has a long way to go. We can all be wishful thinkers and woder what a coach would have done differently, but the bottom line is that the talent is not there right now for this team to go far in a World Cup.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone expected US to get beyond the Quarters... except for some amazing run of luck.

What we wanted was a good showing, we didnt get it from a manager playing to not lose. I didnt expect them to get out of group, but I wanted a better show.
    And the team was capable of that, even without a single 'world class' player on the field.

I expect most England supporters only wished for them to get to the finals, but at least expected a good show... the players gave it, but were hampered not by the individual incidents which might happen to any team, but lack of inspiration... it's the team management that encourages them to rise above and fight back.

I bet Svewn thought he was inspiring Lampard by putting him up on the spot... well, that all depends on what ELSE he'd done to instill that confidence.
    And it wasnt there.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree that I would have liked to see a better performance from the US. I have just heard from other US supporters in person and on messageboards who realistically thought the US was going to make a run and win the World Cup. I just laughed at those people. The US has a lot of work to do to get to those standards.

Bruce Arena could have done a better job for sure in this World Cup. Could it have made a difference, yes probably so. However, as mentioned before, the US only has so much talent and while coaches might put players in the best possible situations, one still needs to have talent to advance on the World level against the best in the game.

5. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

Will I for one thought they would have made a better showing, but to win the World Cup? Not in my lifetime.....

I think the powers to be should go after the German Coach Klinsmann. While at the Newport Hofbräuhaus watching the opening match of WC 06 I got talking to a older gentlemen who worked there who had just returned from Germany. At that point in time he told me the fans and media were all over their coach and didn't want him, as living in the USA really bothered them anong other things.... Of course that was then, and this is now, but hey if Klinsmann loves living in the USA why not be the coach of the USA MNT..... Germany has given him five weeks after the 9th of July to make his decision..... The USA should jump on the chance to hire him.....

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well, we can forget about Klinsmann. I just heard on Skysports he's staying with Germany.

7. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

Re: RE: Oh, well.. next time...

BERLIN, July 6 (Reuters)

Franz Beckenbauer said on Thursday he hoped Juergen Klinsmann would stay on as coach because the job he started rebuilding Germany football is not finished yet.

Click on the link below to read the rest of the article......

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 19&cc=5901

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Oh, well.. next time...

Hmm...the way the skysports newscaster was talking seemed like he was going to renew his contract immediately after the cup. Who knows what Klinsy will do? I have feeling he will stay on, as he wants to get the German team more success than what they have achieved. If they won the whole thing, I think he would have said, "mission accomplished." But now he can't claim that, so I just can't see him taking up the head job for another country--yet.

But if the US offers the right price?

9. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I just read that article and was about to post here... :x You beat me this time Mike, I will not let it happen again. :3d footy:

But I remember reading in the Telegraph, that they were going to offer almost three times more $ what they paid Arena to Klinsmann. So he might not have had contact yet, but I imagine it will be coming.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Klinsmann deal

Here's the article I mentioned.

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Oh, well.. next time...

Eat my Avatar Ms. Heather!

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Oh, well.. next time...

Mine's better. :tongue: