Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for five games

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ormondroyd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. BC

BC New Member

LOL! Thanks for some much needed levity.

I think most of us have mixed feelings. We like Cookie because he's a Fulham man through and through. He's done well with what he had avaible, for the most part. But things do have to change and Fulham have to gain some consistency or we're out of the EPL. We must kick this Fulhamish ghost aside.

2. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

I'm sad but not shocked. Cookie will always be a big part of this club, be it a great player or a manager. It's the end of an era but a start of a new one. I wish Chris all the best in the future but Fulham must look forward.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Seriously, I would have given Cookie about half a season, if he got us through this one in the Premiership, to get it sorted out. I like the guy, and that is after initially not being all that impressed. I imagine alot of factors were considered, not least of which was that Sanchez may not be available much longer.

I have tremendous hopes for Sanchez's leadership, considering what he has done with Northern Ireland. Come On You Whites!!!

4. Yo_Adrian

Yo_Adrian New Member

RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for

Sad to seem him go but I honestly wasn't all that surprised. Results have been terrible the last several games, and there has been talk of him being replaced since this season started. He made a great contribution to the club the past few years of course, but it was clearly time for some big changes.

5. psand22

psand22 Member

I was shocked this morning to see CC sacked...mostly in the timing. The players realize they're in for a battle to stay above relagation and I don't think firing CC will be the awe inspiring epiphany needed to inspire them. I think our spot in the standings is motivation enough.

CC has done well with out small budget and injuries, but over time, expectations rise for fans and owners...and we weren't getting it done on the pitch. I think ownership had made up it's mind to make a change and the time was now to bring in Sanchez. Who's star is on the rise. This way we could avoid the battle with other teams, after the season.

It's a 5 game deal now, but if we stay up, I'm sure Sanchez will be sticking around. It's a win - win situation for all parties. He gets his first crack at the Premiership. If he saves this sinking ship, he'll get the job. If we bottom out, he can move on.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Wow I said I wanted Coleman out but I didn't expect it to actually happen.

I love Chris Coleman, but his time was up. Four years is loyalty enough in my mind. Three out of 23 points aint good enough at this point. Theres no improvment at the back and no improvment on the away form. He's shaped the team and it wasn't going where anyone wanted it to go. He's given the supporters some of the best of times and some of the worst of times. He'll land on his feet.

Crissy Coleman's Bllllaaaaawwmmmmmmmmmy

This will spark the team on as a new manger almost always does. Priority number one is to stay up, and Lawire Sancez will keep this team up!!!
    I'll be bold here and say we take nine or ten of the remaining fifteen points.

Come On FUlham!

7. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

I wonder what impact this will have on the new signings particulary dempsey. Will the players have any out clauses if a manager switch is made. Will He switch to a 4-3-3 to take advantage of all the attacking mid fielders we have. We he play the best 11 regardless of who's under contract for next year. I think it is going to come down to one small change and a whole lot of player motivation not to drop. The players should already have that motivation regardless of a coaching change. I hope this doesn't shake it. As for the change heres hoping sanchez has some brilliant tactical change that will spark a win at reading and another win somewhere else.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't imagine anyone has an out clause in a contract saying if the manager leaves he can leave as well. The only out clauses are usually ones that involve relegation.

9. martin

martin New Member

I had been watching the news since Monday's debacle, expecting to see a "Coleman Sacked" headline at any moment. The club was going nowhere but down and nothing he tried seemed to make a difference.

I like Cookie. I have only been following FFC for a few years, so he is the only manager I have known. But I think he needed to go. Recent results have been atrocious and the team hasn't looked like winning in ages. If the players are upset, they need to have a long, hard look at themselves. They are the ones flailing about, getting routed in matches that should be competitive.

I wish Cookie all the best for his years of service. I am sure he will land on his feet. Hopefully Sanchez can inject something positive into the squad and get enough points to keep us up.

Come On Fulham!

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I can't even believe it!!!! I go to the Sky Sports site to check out Fulham news...and CC is gone. Wow!!!! I have to say that I love Cookie and the job he did for us and I'm disappointed he can't see out this season and try and salvage us from being relegated. I do however feel a change is justified and can only hope we are able to survive the drop which will be tough considering our schedule.

On a side note...I wonder if McBride will try to get out of his extension now and come back to MLS.

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

McBride will stay...his family comes first and that is above who the manager is at Fulham. If he knows he will play and that Fulham is moving in the right direction then he'll stay.

For most of us here, we have never seen a manager get sacked at Fulham or any other club and while its a bit of a shock we must all keep in mind that no one player and no one manger is bigger than the club. Managers and players come and go but Fulham stays.

UP THE FULHAM

12. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I have mixed feelinfs toward this move. Coleman was put in a terrible situation. All of his midfielders were gone and the backline is just TERRIBLE. Al-Fayed wasn't serious about putting money into the club so therefore Fulham couldn't go out and get Gooch or another defender. Instead we had to settle for two average midfielders, not a Jensen, Bullard, Malbranqaue or Boa Morte (when he feels like playing).

But I feel it's time for a breath of fresh air and I think it was time for Coleman to move on. The offense wasn't producing and his tactics weren't too great. I wish him the best of luck and I'm pretty sure he'll find a job with the another Premiership or Championship club.

13. FulhamWisconsin

FulhamWisconsin New Member

After Fulham's recent preformance,its not a surprise. But I think, although I do feel bad for CC that Sanchez is a real catch and can improve Fulham in the short term... and perhaps longer? I f he can work magic W/ North Ireland, it would be nice to see Fulham in Europe or with some silever.
    Either way, Go Whites!

14. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Suddenly, a lot of the grim looks on FFC faces in the last few weeks make sense. This kind of change doesn't happen in a vacuum. MAF and the other PTB had to have been negotiating with Sanchez and the NIFA, and CC must have felt it coming.

That kind of axe hangs over the head of the whole team, and it was clear that the players were feeling the tension. My biggest hope is that now that the "worst" has happened, the guys can settle down and focus on staying up with a few clean wins.

I really, really liked Coleman, and I am sad to see him go, but I suppose that ultimately, ripping off the bandaid now allows us to move forward and really concentrate on these last few games, rather than keeping the entire infrastructure of the club in suspense for another 6 weeks.

COYW.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in

The possibility of relegation (whether or not the manager switch is the cause) makes me a little nervous to use the term "win-win situation."

16. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez

For the most part it seems like everyone liked Cookie but knew that a change had to be made and I am in that group. I am sure even Cookie knew it was coming...sooner or later. Hopefully this is a sign to the players that no one is safe and they better start playing!!! COYW!!!!

17. martin

martin New Member

Not everyone loved Cookie. Legwinski says his firing was long overdue:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... &channel=&

Interesting stuff. Leggy basically says that the club has stagnated under Coleman, he doesn't know how to prepare his club physically, and there was no senior person around to keep him in line.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

that's just sour grapes on leggy's part

19. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie San

100% not true Omsdogg, if you trust me on anything, trust me on this.

Its truth.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Coleman needed to go as he was taking us down and every season has been worse than the last season. I really like how we replaced him with Sanchez. I believe that Sanchez will keep us up and then I hope we can keep him as I believe he is the best young manager in the UK. Coleman had his chance and then some and failed at this club. He served this club for a long time and deserves respect, but we needed to change managers.