Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for five games

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ormondroyd, Apr 10, 2007.

1. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in for

I'm surprised and disappointed. He did a pretty good job given the turnover in personnel. I saw Fulham play in person in December 2003 beating Southampton 2-0- of all the players on the field and the bench that day, only two remain on the team Volz and Knight. Saha, Malbranque, Boa Morte, van der Sar were all playing. Where are the replacements of similar quality? That said, who knows what goes on behind the scenes. One theory is that the players had just stopped responding to Cookie and management gambled on the possibility that a new manager would refresh and motivate the team. Another theory is that it dawned on management that relegation is a real possibility and they panicked not knowing what else to do. Given that the deed is done I hope it's the former not the latter.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm gutted. I've not been a Fulham supporter as long as most of you, but this is my saddest day with the Black and White.

At least I won't have to be constantly talking up his accomplishments every time we lose a match anymore.

Sigh.

COYW!

3. FulhamCMH

FulhamCMH New Member

I think both of your theories are at play, BostonDan. Just look at the effort consistently put forth by only a handful of guys on the field at a given time during the past couple of months to see how the team has been responding to the coaching and to the slide down the table in general. The great ball that Routledge threw in from the corner in the first half against City with nobody in the box making an effort or cut at receivng it is a prime example. And yes, management has to be in panic now as well for sure. The loss to City all of a sudden made the possibility of relegation become shockingly real. Let's hope the Whites respond like teams often seem to do at first with a new manager and pull a quick surprise win. Who knows, one quick-response win to the upheaval could be enough to keep us up.

As many have said, thanks to Chris Coleman for his service and passion. He'll undoubtedly land on his feet somewhere...perhaps on the other side of the Craven Cottage technical area before long.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

cookie will land on his feet, and soon; hell, he kept a bleeding fulham club mid-table for 4 years. he should be graciously thanked for his service. i hope with this change comes wide-spread personnel turnover this summer as well.

fulham has a tough go, but some things have to work out for the lower clubs (i.e., west ham has brutle matches upcoming). while i'm sad to see the timing of the coleman change, it may as well begin now, i've accepted, and am excited for, a new chapter...

5. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Offical - Coleman sacked, Lawrie Sanchez in

I'm with you Don. How partial are you to the Hatters manager? :D I hope Cookie gets on with a new club and does well. He will always have my respect and I will support most any team he goes to. Well, as long as they are not playing against us!

Time to look towards the future. This will be a very interesting year to come.

6. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

CC was a great servant, but it came to a point where Fulham had 'no alternative'.
    The positive is the person who we've got in to replace him is probably the best availible manager at the moment. Lawrie Sanchez is working wonders with N.Ireland, and really motivates them well.
    Let's get behind him, and please try not to boo him right from the off. Give him a bit of time-about 1 game is all we can give!!!

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Managers come and go. Cookie has done well for us but right now we have 5 games to go and need 6 points. Often a change of management can remove complacentcy and give you a couple of wins - that is all we need.

Lawrie Sanchez was part of the crazy gang that won the FA cup with Wimbledon. NI play with spirit and passion, and, having watched Fulham in several relegation dog fights, that it exactly what is needed.

I wish Cookie well for his future and being sacked as Fulham manager is not an end to a career, ask Sir Bobby Robson.

I know that this is a repeat of many others posts but thats my two pennyth worth. We must look onwards and upwards. COYW.

Lawrie Sanchez Black and White Army.

8. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

About time, well needed and thought it was not going to happen. Hopefully this is just in time.

9. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

im furious at this knee jerk decision, where's Fayed when all this was going down, where's Fayed promise that he was 100% behind CC, WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS. id like to walk into his office and land one on him, im that angry,

i will not be going to any more games this season, this is my personal protest to this crap decision.

loyalty, what fucking loyalty

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'll have to disagree VB 1 win in 15 and 2 away wins in 2 years just says it all for me.

Ormondroyd said it best on the Offal:

With that said, yes he's a nice guy and he was always Fulham but the rot had settled in and nothing was going to rid the rot other than a new manager.

Don't forget, Cookie took over for Tigana with 5 matches to go...

11. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Calm down Billy, I can understand your frustration and some of you maybe right that this is not the right time to sack your manager. when is????
    I liked CC as a player and a manager but at the end of the day what have we won in the past 10 years...Nothing to put it in plain language, this is a Business and if YOU wasn't performing in your job then I think YOUR manager would fire you.
    It's a sad day when a club fires it's manager but lets move on, Lawrie is now the man in charge and staying away from games doesn't prove anything, infact I would hope more people would attend, get behind the players and lift the club away from the relegration zone.FFC doesn't deserve to go down and I hope we can stay up, I believe we will and Lawrie will prove to be the best thing that happened at FFC and only time will tell.

Lets SUPPORT LAWRIE and say "Thanks Chris, Good Luck with your new club" whoever that may be.

COYW's

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am shocked this actually went down. I thought there was a chance Coleman would get the axe after this season, but not right now.

I will say that Lawrie Sanchez has worked wonders for the Northern Ireland national team. Whether that can translate to success on the club level remains to be seen. For Fulham's sake let's hope he can get the most out of the players and keep the team up.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Not to mention what he did at Wycombe, previously.

FFC hired him as a short term replacement and it seems that's what Lawrie's really good at.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

One of the things that amazes me, in fan comments, is I have seen references to Boa Morte on this issue... from both sides.

One faction seems to blame CC for selling him, as if that affected Fulham's fortunes. The other points to Fulham's directorship as dumping Boa.. showing no loyalty, so to speak.

Well... I'll weigh in, too. What IS Boa doing now? If it was Fulham and not Cookie that dumped Snake, then that seems to buttress their arguments for getting rid of CC.

If it was CC that released him, ditto

15. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Didn't both Boa and Steed say they didn't want to play for Fulham? I know Steed said he wasn't going to sign a new contract and Boa didn't feel challenged enough. We could have had a sea monkey as manager and it would have dumped those two players. Why have someone on the squad that doesn't want to play for the team?

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

holy crap.

i had been waiting for the tape of the fulham/city match to be sent to me since monday so i purposefully stayed away from all the sites. but today a friend ruined the game for me, and now i learn cookie is gone. i am not going to comment on the firings, as everyone else has. but if fulham ends up going down expect a new chairman, coach, players, etc etc.

things are starting to get very drastic.

17. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Now I've calmed down...........

so we lost again. woooooo
    did chris lose the dressing room? no. who's the best man to get us out of this? A. a person who knows the players, formations, situation. B. someone who has no prem exp, no knowledge of the players, our formations and given 5 games to turn it around. who then can ( if we go down) walk away back to his national job (saying , i only had 5 games to sort it out, what chance did i have?)
    and this is my beef
    i would have stuck with CC, he knows the problems we are in.

this gets me thinking...

i've always considered CC to be fayed's prototype manager no1. 'keep us in the prem on the cheap'. soon as we find ourselves in the brown stuff its panic station. it would'nt have anything to do with losing £14 million at the end of the season would it? course not!

im sorry but like me, if i was CC, i would fill totaly let down by Fulham.
    to me its like putting the another nail in the coffin

i will get behind the new 'makeshift boss'
    but i dont like it i tells ya! :cry:

18. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

Wow, I am not sure how I feel frankly, I think the team has so much more potential then they are showing and I was hopeing they would somehow manage to stay up for next year. I felt that a new style was necessary to take us forward but I thought that would happen in the summer. This is quite a gamble and if we win 2 and stay up everyone will cheer MAF the hero. If we go down they will blame this event and not our woefull performance in 2007. We'll know in a month or so. I think coleman will be managing in the championship next year for sure. He is a young up and coming manager and I see him landing with a club that is looking for a change themselves. I have no more or less anxiety about the drop, but this out to make it more exciting for sure. This reading game out to be very interesting. either way COYW's onward and upword (fingers crossed)

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Wow, I always liked Chris Coleman. But after the last couple of games, I think it was just a matter of time before he left. If it wasn't now, it was just going to happen at the end of the season. And that may be too late. I'm not certain Fulham are going down--with or without Chris--but I have this sinking feeling that they are. We need something to infuse some energy into this team, maybe a change of leadership will do just that. Plus, I never understood this need to write players that don't sign contract extensions...Claus and Steed could have given this team a much needed offensive presence, which has been sorely lacking this season.

That said, good luck to Cookie.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Guess Fulham will have to start giving the competition the Dirty Sanchez.............. :shock:

Coudn't resist. :3d laughing: