Obama Scandal Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spencer, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

x

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One interesting aspect of the Obama "scandals," is that people have been spreading this misinformation in the guise of trying to debunk it. It's very clever really. We've seen in on this site. "The question wouldn't be if Obama were Muslim in the first place, it would be ... ." "The fact that these Muslim connections have MOSTLY been disproved doesn't stop them from ... ." "It doesn't matter if Obama was raised Muslim, he's been a practicing Christian ... ."

Let's say you wanted to taint Obama by saying he was addicted to drugs after he left college. You know it's not true, but you also know that it would hurt him. All you need is a single post on a blog saying, "Obama was a junkie in the mid-1980s, but has been clean over 20 years." It's very easy to get one of those posts. You can even get one of your operatives to make it under an assumed name. Once it's there, you can then comment on it. You can do it in such a way as to spread the misinformation while looking for all the world that you're shocked and only interested in being fair and balanced. Here's how it goes.

"Shirley, during this half hour we're going to be discussing reports of Obama's drug addiction."

"Hal, I've seen these reports all over the blogosphere, but there's very little in the way of supporting information. I don't know if it's been substantiated that Obama actually was OR STILL IS a drug addict."

"True Shirley; and there's nothing from the Obama camp about this addiction news."

"Yes, and wouldn't you think that they would be using this drug addiction recovery as an example of how brave and courageous their candidate is?"

"That's true. It makes you wonder just how professional the Obama campaign staff is. Here they have an inspirational story of their candidate's victory over a dibilitating illegal drug, and they're not even talking about it. It sort of makes you wonder what else they're not talking about."

"Or whether they really understand how politics work in America."

"Well, we should re-emphasize that these reports of Obama's recovery from drug addiction in the 1980s have not as yet been substantiated. [unfold 'banner' "unconfirmed reports of heroin usage by Obama"]"

"Thanks, Shirley and Hal, for your analysis. During out next half hour, we'll be hearing from Dr. Francis Lampard, a well-respected member of the medical community, who'll be discussing the long-term effects of prolonged heroin addiction on the victim's decision-making skills as well as his predicted performance under stress."

And there you have it. You've said that the reports are unsubstantiated -- thereby covering your ass from legal action. You've also connected Obama and drug addiction in each sentence, and then you get more "experts" to talk about it in the next cycle. You've cast doubts on Obama's honesty and his ability to function as president. While doing so, you've also managed to give viewers this choice about Obama's inner circle: EITHER (a) they're typically incompetent liberals who can't even run a campaign, never mind the country; -- OR -- (b) they're trying to hide their candidate's personal flaws from the American people.

This is EXACTLY how the Obama-Muslim and the Obama-Terrorist non-stories have been handled by Fox and its acolytes. And here's the bonus. If other news outlets see this campaign for what it is and refuse to run it, you then have the opportunity to send your minions out all over the radio talkshows and blogs to bleat: "Why isn't the mainstream media talking about Obama's drug problem."

It's a win-win. Don't think this is real? Just ask yourself how many people who don't know a donkey from an elephant, and who may not even know anything about any of the issues, will vote against Obama because they think they heard something somewhere about him being a Muslim or a terrorist. Expect it.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don, do you still beat your wife? Same thing.

I'd hope people can see the transparency of each side when they do this stuff. People's obvious bias will not let them admit much if anything favorable about the opposition and it blinds them from obvious questions/shortcomings about their own side. It seems to be on every channel/every show I see these days.

Speaking of Fox News though. I'd quit watching the channel b/c the "talent" seemed to have the combined iq of my sock drawer. The few times I have tuned in lately, I catch a gaffe. How can they be that bad?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Matt, I think it's because they see MSNBC as their prime antagonist instead of CNN. They've dropped their standards as low as MSNBC's

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Yeah, it's funny. The former Communist News Network appears to be in the middle compared to those two.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

The Obama is a Muslim question wasnt just invented from the blogosphere like in Don's scenario. At a school he attended as a child, his religion was listed as Islam in the school records. The article I read said he was probably listed as muslim because his step-father was muslim and he didnt really have a religion at the time. He also has a muslim name. I agree with Spencer that it shouldnt matter even if he was a muslim. However, it will to some because they will think he might make compromises or concessions that wouldnt be in the US's best interests. This is a reason why more experience before running for President would've been a good thing; there would be more history in terms of his voting and alliances, and this could've eased the doubts of more people.

The biggest scandal I've heard in terms of Obama is his years in New York. He doesnt say much about them, other than he buckled down and studied like a monk, and will not release his transcripts from Columbia. I've also heard that no one really even knows who his friends were during this time. I havent looked into this-only heard the accusations but I thought someone on here might want to debunk it.

7. Clevelandmo

The accusations were 1) the lack of details regarding this time and you just supplied them so whoever questions this hasnt done their homework 2) the fact that he wont have his Columbia transcript released. So I guess all that is left is #2.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I have to agree about Fox News -- they've really allowed themselves to slip into the realm of nitwit right wing bloggers. I've also watched more CNN lately than anything else because I think they do a better job.
    And I never thought I would have said that a few years ago.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dont see what his undergrad days have to do with anything. Human interest, maybe.. but that could wait till later

Nor anything other than his work on HArvard Law review or 'pro bono' social work as Law Student.

And Speaking of..Biden as Law Prof
    - - - - - -- - - - - -

I hate to butt in on the discussion when I said I wouldnt post in the thread if I couldnt rebut... but I'd appreciate it if you would post links relating to charges of smears.

Saying it's happening doesnt mean it's happening. Since I havent been listening to Rush or HAnnity, I dont know if it's on there, but it certainly isnt on the blogs I read... even some of the more offensive ones.

If you're saying it is Going to happen, then make that clear.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lipstick
    and
    Sex Ed for Kindergarteners

Did Barack get too cute with the lipstick on the Pig phrase?
    That phrase is commonly used in the way Barack presented it. And having watched the whole context, he meant it the way he said it.

Like it or not, though, Palin essentially 'trademarked' "Lipstick". If the crowd had not begun laughing immediately, there would be no traction.

Sex Ed for K: The idea of the bill was to educate on dealing with child predators.
    Out-of-bounds!
    But Barack should deal with that immediately, using the facts in retort not whine about 'Honor'; the voters arent {all that} dumb and the response would be much more powerful. THEY can make the connection to cheap ad bites.
    There's no way to stop stupid misleading bites like that without assuming some intelligence for the average guy.

I know I just violated the above post on links... but if you dont know about these scandal points, you wont care about this thread either. And the comments on them are my opinion

11. Bradical

Bradical Member

I am so sick of this election already, and very disappointed in the respective parties and campaigns. Why exactly are we talking about 'lipstick'? Columbia transcripts? I know, I know, the media needs to pay the bills -- but the voter/consituent/consumer could at least demand a higher standard, a movement that could start with the respective campaigns, to not cross a certain line.

I really wish that modern politics could stay away from Rovian philosophies and tactics - but I guess modern candidates don't want to leave that chamber loaded. It's really sad for such an important election to be reduced to blogosphere ethics.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm waiting for the Obama camp to do the smart thing. Never has there been a better opportunity for the party out of power. Everything that can be wrong about this country is wrong, and McCain was part of the rubber-stamp Congress that, for six years, connived with the Administration to screw the country up.

Only an idiot would not spend every day of the next two months pointing out that McCain voted with the president about 95% of the time. Forget Palin. Forget flip-flopping. Forget saying "change" every 4th word like it just joined "a," "and," and "the" as articles. Phrase every quote about McCain in terms of this administration. Make him defend 8 years of the Bush White House or make him disavow 8 years of the Bush White House.

More and more, Obama is making me believe that the jibjab caricature of him is right on the money.

McCain is going to win anyway. Don't lets spend the next four years wondering why Obama -- like Al Gore [in reverse] before him -- made the most basic, fundamental error possible.

13. Clevelandmo

This is the scandal/debunking scandal thread so we are mostly just talking about the political nonsense. If you want to talk about real issues that matter go to the campaign thread or start a new one. On the former thread I posted Obama's answers to 14 questions on science-related issues and 'Fog is the ony one who responded.

And I happen to think both McCain and Obama are showing more civil behavior than the candidates of the previous 2 elections at least, probably the previous 8