North Korea: What to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 10, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

So they set off a nuke, not really cause for panic.. everyone assumed they had built a couple.
    - the upshot is, of course, that this means NK is escalating the game

Sift out the political hysterics to just look at milestones and possibilities:

NK has been using extortion to survive for decades

NK focuses on bi-lateral talks with US, instead of including its neighbors..why? For status. ie to elevate Il's image in his own mind.

US has always handled it in {arguably} the only way possible. This was the last time the UN took sides in a war and the solution was always seen to be a consortium of countries to effect containment and change.

Clinton was doing the same... Bush was following the same general strategy.

The problem is that Jimmy Carter got involved, in an 'un-official' one-one talk and gave away chips to the enemy. No matter WHAT the Dems say now, Clinton and the boys were really pissed when this happened.

So Dubya has been dealing with that. No matter WHAT Il, or some one in a campaign speech, says.. we cannot deal one-one with him.

His primary threat is to his neighbors and they must step up..especially China; because they are the ones who enabled him to keep things unsettled on the Pac-Rim.

But sanctions ... even if EVERYONE participates.. arent going to work. They only work if the country's people have a relative freedom to speak and act.
    We know they dont.

And if the 'Glorious Leader' cares what other nations think of him.
    We know he doesnt.

Unlike Moammar Quadaffy, Il doesnt care as long as they carry a good picture of him with the world leader and get his name right.

As for me, I'm really happy we have a missile defense system on the way

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What a joke. SDI has never been anything more than a way to funnel money to defense contractors.

3. pettyfog

RE: Re: North Korea: What to do?

So you think that test of the prototype a couple months agon was smoke and mirrors? Why?

We'll see....

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I didn't say that nothing existed. I said that what existed was a joke. Like most cold war-era defense strategies, SDI is outmoded. It is based on a defense against ICBMs. Even if it could work, which it can not, ICBMs are not the major or even a significant portion of the threat against this nation. SDI is the new Maginot Line. During a time when "briefcase nukes" are more a reality than a science fiction story, putting so much money into a defense against missiles is a joke, and a sick one. If 9/11 showed anything, it was that the danger is a mistaken belief that we are safe. SDI, aside from its main purpose to bleed money, is based on creating and feeding that false belief.

SDI's main accomplishment since Reagan dreamed it up over 20 years ago is to eat up tax money. The amount of money spent on this international joke could have provided decent body armor and Humvee armor for all our troops in Iraq, trained enough Arabic and Farsi linguists to help commanders understand the reality of battlefield intelligence, funded decent medical insurance for the elderly and children, and provided effective and well-funded port security to prevent sabotage against shipping and aircraft. Of course, all of this could have been done with the money given to rich people by the president's tax cuts, but that's another story.

But here's the main stupidity about SDI. We've just recently changed over 200 years of foreign policy in this country. We now say that we are free to wage war on a nation because sometime, down the road, that nation may become a threat to us. Given that this is our policy, wouldn't it make sense for a nation that "hates us for our freedom" to attack us BEFORE SDI gets deployed? If anyone in the world except Reagan-worshipers thought that SDI was anything but a joke, this would be plenty of incentive to attack us NOW!!!

The very fact that nobody in the world is hustling to attack us with ICBMs indicates that the whole world knows that SDI is just a way to bleed money and keep Congressmen who represent areas with huge defense contractors re-elected. The fact that the administration continuing to build the thing while maintaining a warlike stance with half the world indicates that they don't believe it'll work either.

5. pettyfog

Don, that was all very good in husting to the Lib 'party line'... but you are talking about threats from terrorist groups and ignoring 'rogue state' paradigms; in this case we are not dealing with rational people.

Iran will participate in both methods of attack, N Korea isnt interested in 'container/suitcase bombs'... they want to pretend they are playing in the big leagues.

SDI is, in fact, QUITE feasible with current technologies. And was taken seriously by the soviets back in the 80's though it was really a 'down-card' in Reagan's poker hand.
    {Oh.. and EVERY government program is a cash cow.. what's new! But that doesnt mean it isnt worthwhile.}
    - - - - -- - --
    But, on the diplomatic side:
    Here's the Brookings Institute Abstract on problems, over time, in dealing with NK
    - - - - - -
    You are absolutely right about the intelligence problems though. Our difficulty.. and it was the 'elephant in the room' for the last 2 decades, is 'who can you trust?'

And THAT is not something that can be avoided by just 'withdrawing from the scene'.
    We found THAT out, when we no longer accepted/bought info from 'nefarious characters', didnt we!

Something that is valuable in the extreme to local police and law enforcement, is prohibited in the international theatre.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One reason I don't quote blogs or speeches in my posts is that I don't adhere to anyone's party line. Even if there were a newsletter out there telling each non-conservative what to say on every subject [and folks like you obviously think there is], I wouldn't read it to find out if my own feelings were politically correct. My opinions are my own. Sometimes they're left, sometimes they're right, almost always they're civil libertarian.

The reason why right wingers love to debate the "lib party line" instead of individuals, is that they then have the ability to put whoever they want in the role of "fellow traveler" and talk about some issue other than what the individual brought up. They can ignore what the individual is saying, or interrupt his ability to say it, and instead point out something somebody else said on an entirely different subject to denigrate him. If I must cite something here, I guess any episode of O'Reilly or Hannity would do it.

But I guess that's what right-wingers have to do when their "enemies" use logic and common sense. And that's why right-wingers attack academia -- the last bastion of people who encourage and cherish the value of speaking and listening to more than one opinion.

Kinda sad.

7. pettyfog

Don... parse it out. Didnt SAY you were liberal.. said it was a liberal speaking point.

I dont acccuse anyone of being anything anymore.. well hardly ever.. but I HAVE noticed one thing. It USED to be conservatives that claimed they were independent.. because of fears of being labeled 'Goldwater?.. now it seems to be the man-on-the-street person who usually ends up adhering to the general liberal views. the reat call themselves 'progressives'
    Noted: Big surge, lately, in 'Liberal Libertarianism'

I use logic and common sense, based on what I've observed. We BOTH cant be using it! The answer is 'it's spin' alright. But the proof is in addressing the issues.
    To use the extreme example:
    "War never solved anything"
    So easy to debunk it's laughable, the lesser examples take a little more time.

But we digress on that dont we? All because I threw a barb.. should have known better.
    Anyway, we HAVE exhausted the 'diplomacy test with Iran and N Korea, both.

Neither will negotiate in good faith and they have both proved it over and again.

interesting that J Carter was heavily involved in both! so if you support Jimmy's views on either, you have some 'splainin' to do!

Read the Brookings piece!

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Oh Lord, Hannity! Would not surprise me if he is paid by the Grand Oil Party.

O'Reilly tries to maintian even handedness by referring to anti-Conservatives as secular progressives. Somehow, that seems just as childish.

For my money, the most entertaining and sometimes spot on conservative is Glenn Beck. He is hilarious sometimes, and there is just no way someone that funny can be all that evil, like his counterparts. Neil Boortz gets mention as someone who goes off the deep end, but at least came up with an interesting tax idea and wrote a book about it.

9. pettyfog

You're right on both Hannity and Beck..
    Hannity is so damn elementary and jingoist he makes my teeth hurt. When he gets a lib on the phone he doesnt deflate his views with logical progression rebuttal just goes through the 'Who said...' routine. His WHOLE shtick is pointing out hypocrisy.

Pathetic and lives up to the Ed Shulz dismissal of him as same.

Boortz IS, from all accounts and from my experience a true libertarian.. he doesnt throw out ALL govt functions, though. Which is why he doesnt sit well with the namesake org. The tax thing SHOULD work well, but that's why it'll never happen.. too many people -lawyers and accountants- afraid of how it will affect THEM!

By the way... if you're anti-bush, I suggest you listen CLOSELY to Ed Schulz on this NK issue! He throws up the Clinton apologeia, {Why is that!! We tried it, we should have tried it, it FAILED!!!} but he is definitely worried and doesnt think that 'talking' is gonna solve either it or Iran.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Emmm Glen Beck, that guys insane, really. I've given up watching him at all. My favorite Republican pundit is prolly O'rilley and Democrat defiantly Carville. Also like Donna Brasil

11. pettyfog

JayZZZ!

Great example of thread hi-jack.. ANYONE have views on point?!!!!

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Feel free to move mine (and others?) over to another more appropriate heading.

I knew I was getting off point, but just could not stop myself.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty, what are you suggesting we do with North Korea? Start a war?

14. pettyfog

No. I'm not. It's significant, both in itself, and as a measure of success in using diplomacy, that's why it should be discussed.

But if there IS military action, it SHOULD BE under the auspices of the UN finally living up to its own press and growing balls.

As if...

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would like to think the UN will head something up in dealing with North Korea, but I have no faith in that organization.

16. pettyfog

Ding, ding, Ding!

RIGHT ANSWER!

And the ONLY one can put this little pissant down is... gasp!.. China!

But that a problem in itself.. china never goes anywhere with its army without taking some land for its troubles.
    Why North Korea is the Wrong Focus

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty, in your opinion, what do you honestly think is going to happen with this matter?

China has come out against this as has most of the other countries around the world. Do you feel there will be a war of some sorts amongst those Pac Rim countries?

18. pettyfog

sorry, it's above.. took too long looking for another - anecdotal- piece on what actually happens at the China N Korea border. couldnt find it, but just take my word that regular chinese, even the military are horrified at how NK refugees are treated when they are handed back.

I feel that China cant be judged by it's snapshot on foreign policies and relations, but on the direction it is heading.

The Chinese middle class is key here.. they have achieved critical mass and identify more with western than marxist values.
    added:
    And, btw, I firmly believe Il will end up shooting a missile... and the US will knock it down.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Old quote from "The Far Side" -- "Dogs are so cute when they pretend to understand quantum mechanics."

Old quote from old guy in Texas -- "John Bolton is so cute when he says that UN sanctions are necessary."

If there ain't no bomb, we don't need no stinkin' UN. If there IS a bomb, uh ... do you think the UN might could maybe help maybe huh.

Yell Loudly and Carry a Tongue Depresser.

20. pettyfog

Man.. you are REALLY going Stewart/Colbert on us!

But the point is we know that sanctions and resolutions wont work but we have to go through the motions, anyway.

If they dont have the bomb, they intend to and will have the bomb... ANYONE doubt that?

As to Bolton.. everyone with a brain, now admits the UN is dysfunctional.
    Bolton thinks we need the UN, and is yelling long and hard to change it, and yet.....