NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Jan 11, 2016.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I guess the Bengals just can't learn how to win games. And I'm sorry Minnesota, I really felt bad for the kicker and the fans. The Seahawks have skill and know how to make plays but they really do have a horseshoe up their...

2. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

(Sigh) My exact words as the kick was shanked left, "typical f-ing Vikings" and with that I shut the TV off and traded my beer for a bourbon, and reveled in the curse that hangs over the Vikings.

There are many instances in that game where the Vikings should have capitalized, but did not...putting their first drive in the end zone (or any drive), AP fumble, the snap that went by Russell Wilson's head...so it shouldn't be all on the kicker's shoulders.

And, yes, if I had a nickel for the amount of Ace Ventura references I heard in the first 15 minutes after the kick, I would be a rich man.

nevzter likes this.
  3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Um, the Pats' fan says the Seahawks have a horseshoe embedded?? Beastmode not getting the rock on the one is the single best stroke of luck in the history of sports, but I digress. Mother Nature was the winner yesterday, I kind of thought the first team to 14 points would advance when it was -6 at kickoff. The game played out perfectly for the Vikes, until Russell Wilson channeled his inner Fran Tarkenton and pulled off a play that for Hawks fans has become commonplace. Walsh has to make a 27 yarder, but he did make a couple long ones, AP did fumble, and the Vikings were so ultra conservative they rendered an excellent set of WRs and TE useless. Sorry Encore, tough pill to swallow.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.
  4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

And the play that led to that was what--pure skill? The ball should have been intercepted or knocked out of bounds by the Pats. Your team just ran out of the horseshoe magic.;) Plus, Belichick not calling a timeout forcing a throw and Butler made that play. If Butler didn't fight for the ball it was a Seahawk touchdown and win.

5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

There's a difference between luck and a stupid decision.

I'm not sure the Bengals wanted to win that game. I feel bad for their fans.

The biggest winner this weekend was the Denver Broncos. The Bengals pretty much knocked out Pittsburgh's starting QB and (arguably) the best WR in the league and still lost the game.

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  6. SoCalJoe

Evan, let me try this; The Pats were lucky the Seahawks were that stupid!! :confused:

As far as the Bengals; no defense for Burfict, he's been that big of an idiot going back to his Scum Devil days when he went from a sure fire #1 draft pick to a undrafted free agent because of that exact style of play. That said there is no defense for the refs letting Joey Porter of all people being out in the middle of the field. What is a world class trash-talker as a player and now linebackers coach in doing out there??? Even my Steeler loving better-half had to admit they got away with one on that.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Generally don't care that much about the NFL, but I was rooting for the Vikes because of Teddy. They needed to get into the end zone. They didn't. I also sort of like the Packers, since they were so good during my childhood with Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, etc. Don't think they're good enough to get too much farther, but stranger things have happened. Does anyone else find it interesting that all the visiting teams won on wild card weekend? Hmmmm..........

9. SoCalJoe

OMG that was funny Heather. That was me after the Super Bowl last season (only 1 jersey). For a week afterwards I'd wake up in the middle of the night 'Why Didn't BEAST RUN IT!!"

Jump, all the road teams were favorites going in as well. Won't be that way this week.

10. astroevan

I'm not a Pete Carroll fan, so I like to think that he was getting cheeky with that call but then it bit him in the ass.

The Vikings will be back. They seem to have a solid core on the offense and should make a run again next year.

The issue with the road teams winning is there are too many divisions. That means you can get to the playoffs by being better than as little as three other teams (I'm looking at Washington and Houston).

encorespanish likes this.
  11. SoCalJoe

Has there ever been a team winning 11 weeks in a row and gets as little press as KC? They got a legit shot in Foxboro IF Alex Smith let's it rip.

The Cards blew out the Packers a month ago, but this one will be much closer. Will still go with Arizona

12. SoCalJoe

Game 1: Simple rule, hit and/or disrupt Tom Brady or pay the price. KC didn't and they paid. That said Andy Reid employed the worst clock management in the postseason since the Eagle lost to the Pats in the Super Bowl...hmm Reid was Philly's coach. Even with that the Chiefs blew a golden opportunity to intercept the ball and tie it.

Game 2: Sorry for anyone who didn't watch the game. As insane a sporting event as you will ever see, words simply don't to it justice. Safe to say it's an instant classic. Only caveat I would say is there needs to be a rule for the playoffs where both teams get the ball in OT. For the neutral it was awesome, for fans of both teams emotions on both ends of the spectrum on multiple occasions.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Chiefs tried to blitz early in the game but got burned by the quick, short passing game. A healthy Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk is key to the Pats patchwork Oline being able withstand pressure because teams can't afford to send everyone. As much as the Cheifs were unlucky they were just as lucky. They got away with a few key penalties, especially holding/ PI on Edelman for a sure touchdown. And, yes, Reid is the worst clock manager in the NFL and that has helped in the Pats success over the years. I'm not sure what the deal is, they showed Reid on the sideline shaking his head in disbelief just before the two minute warning as Smith and his team fail to get a play off. Perhaps he just leaves the clock management part to his QB? I just can't think of any other explaination.

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Today's games should be interesting. Can Cam join the top echelon of QBs in the league by putting together a playoff run? Think Seattle is going to be a tough test and wouldn't be shocked that despite being the best QB this season Cam and the Panthers season comes to an end.

Denver is a tough team to gauge. they don't really blowout the teams they should and in fact have lost to the Raiders at home. Peyton has been a mess this season but didn't have to do much but hand the ball off in his last appearance. How healthy is he and how far and accurate can he throw the ball now. We'll find out against the ailing Steelers. If the Steelers were healthy I wouldn't have any trouble picking them for the upset in Denver.

15. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Reid's clock management is a joke, but it never felt like they were ever really in that game. Not as far as winning it goes. And Heather's right. That's the brilliance of Brady. You pretty much have to go press man coverage & blitz and rattle him early. If you can. You also have to be willing to show blitz and then drop linemen back into the passing lanes. I thought that's where KC kinda dropped the ball. As for the lack of respect, it's b/c of their offense. It's way too conservative most of the time.

Leave it to a Boston fan to complain about refs in a win. I just wonder what DCH has to say about Amendola?

The real click management bungle came in the 2nd game. That pass on 2nd down before the 2 minute warning was a dumb gamble. But that's Arians. Live by the sword, die by the sword...almost. While the 4th qtr & OT were great, the 1st 3 qtr's were far from an instant classic.

16. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I think the chalk will win today's games. However, if Seattle does win, I think we'll see a SB rematch & I don't hate that. Neither qb can throw deep in Pitt/Den, so that should be a weird game. The Broncos have the much better d.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Darn straight. Amendola has never been fully embraced by the Pat fans for stuff like this. For every good play he makes, he makes an equally stupid one. This is the guy that caught Brady's 400th career touchdown this season and immediately tossed it into the stands because he didn't remember. If this happened on the first play I could maybe understand, but this happened when almost all the play-calling for about 1 and 1/2 quarters was centered around getting that passing TD for Brady. Sigh.

edit: But after looking at it a little more, it's not as bad of a hit as I initially thought. Yeah, he lowers his head which for a receiver it may have just been a protective reaction on his part, it's not helmet to helmet (the Chief player gets nailed high in shoulder/neck area). Fouts overreacts to anything he's announcing. Was Amendola looking to make a big hit? Yes. Was he head hunting? Upon further review, I don't think so. He hit high on someone that wasn't expecting it, necessary flag on those type of plays. But I saw a lot worse in Pitt/Bengal's game last week and there was no flag.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  18. SoCalJoe

It just had to be even though it sure didn't look like it would happen a month ago. Manning v Brady one last time for a shot at the Super Bowl. Pats will be the heavy favorite despite being on the road.

19. astroevan

Pretty sure Goodell and the league want nothing more than a Broncos victory this weekend.

I smile at thought of Goodell handing the Lombardi trophy over to Brady and Belichick.

dcheather and encorespanish like this.
  20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wonder where I was on this - especially the Bengals AGAIN going one and out, with the great team they had?
    I just sighed shook my head and decided to remember the season. And how well, our backup QB played... beating the 'Bama jinx.

And resolved from now on I will despise and disparage Steelers and everyone associated with that team, Fans, family, and the horses they rode in on.

Yes, INTELLECTUALLY I know it's only luck and a few bad hits, and no more. But this just keeps happening.
    It's so bad I will root for Brady and the Pats to stomp the Steelers any time they play. I will root for Browns against them. Eagles, Cowboys, Miami, ...
    ... even, if it could be arranged, for Notre Dame to beat them.
    And I HATE Notre Dame.
    I'm now rooting for Cam Newton and Carolina. Just on interest and principle. ;)
    BUT
    I wont be real sad if Carson Palmer actually wins a Super Bowl. Especially since it was the Steelers that ruined his previous best chance.