NFL in London

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by VonBilly, Dec 4, 2008.

1. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Patriots v Tampa Bay next october and I cant wait!
    Ive followed the Pats since the early eighties and now I get a chance to see them play(Brady shoud be back by then as well!) in a real game.
    The Patriots are the best supported team in England followed by the Bucks so it should have a real feel atomsphere it.

Are there any Tampa fans on hear, what do you think about losing a 'home' game.

2. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Patriots? Really?

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hey VonBilly, it's nice to hear someone in England acutally likes American football! I'm not a Tampa Bay fan but I'm also curious about how they handle this with their die-hard fans and season ticket holders. A friend of mine is a huge Browns fan and last Sunday he went to the game even though he was was sick with a stomach flu. I kid you not - he was visiting the porta-o-potty for reasons other than drinking lots of beer.

Go Browns with no quarterback!

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

He was sick because he was watching the Browns offense! That'd do it!

And to think the Clowns scared me this year :lol:

Never undersetimate the ability of the Clowns to F*** things up completely.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not a Bucs fan either, but to answer your question Mo the way they handle it is by charging 1 less game for season ticket holders. TB will surely have access to some tickets as well and will offer some sort of travel package. For the average fan to lose 1 home game out of 8 regular season games is harsh. Each game tends to be all day "events" for most season ticket holders w/tailgating, bbqs, etc.

Tbh not a big fan for NFL games being played in Europe. Our football has a niche, but a very small one over there. On the other hand, the game they had in Mexico City drew over 100k to Azteca w/matching time zones in a country where the NFL is by far the second most popular sport.

VB as a Pats fan keep your fingers crossed Brady will be back. His knee injury was very severe and he's had multiple setbacks since the first surgery. It looks pretty doubtful he'll be ready to go by week 1, who knows maybe by the time they go to London.

To Browns fans 2 words that will bring optimism to you and drive stakes in Steeler fans hearts (like Steve and my wife)....Bill Cowher. Lerner is going to make a huge run at him and it's his job if he wants it.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Cowher has bought a house outside of Cleveland. People definitely think Romeo is gone.

All I know is the Browns have one damn good field goal kicker! We've got that going for us, which is nice. :3d smile:

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

stretch...........YAWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll always love The Chin, even when he moves on.

This rumor has all the credence of a Sun rumor about a Man City transfer

8. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Patriots are supported in England, Just like in the Eighteenth century. ;)

9. Bradical

Bradical Member

Tampa Bay has a following in the UK? How is that even possible? Regardless, I knew immediately that it would be TB, not NE, that would be charged the home game for this affair.

On another note, here is an article that (I think) does a good job of breaking down why home field advantage is dying in the NFL:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... one/081121

Whether or not you like Simmons, it's a good read. For Denver fans (like me) who hate what Invesco Field has done to the once unbeatable-at-home Broncos, it resonates. Mile High Stadium, while ignoring creature comforts, was nothing short of hostile to the opposition.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Let the record show I called it here first.

11. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I'm with Bradical.....how in the hell do the Tampa Bay bucs become the #2 followed team in the UK? WTF!!!??? It seems so random but there must be some kind of logical reason.

Personally, the NFL bores me now, my interest has been relegated to Fantasy Football only. I've become so addicted to footy that my Sundays are now filled with watching EPL matches I taped on Saturday and couldn't watch. I have it bad...don't I?