Newcastle: Pre and Post match [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Feb 1, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

As Petit says, no Gooch for Mexico. I'm sure Borghetti will be upset (if he is still playing).

I of course was full of national pride yesterday, but would remiss not to point out a couple of other notables.

Diop, thank you for showing all of us that the little bit of faith we may have had remaining in you was not misplaced. More play like that will find you back in a starters position quick.

Helguson, the Icelandic warrior. Never gave up and made a golden opportunity count.

Brown, playing the captains role perfectly. Always coming back to help. A strong, strong figure in the middle.

The whole team, played like a team. Nothing but applause for yesterday.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Damn right, PCB... note there were a total of 10 Americans playing in the Prem yesterday, three of them GK's; Beasley, Demerit and Spector being the other three field players

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

... and to tag onto an earlier thread [not hijacking y'all], I fully understand not calling up Gooch -- for the same reason I'm surprised that he called up Dempsey -- but where is Bradley's brain? NO JAY DEMERIT?

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

Now, back to gloating over DOING THE DOUBLE OVER TOONTOWN!!

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger DeMerit fan. Just was making comparisons bewteen him and the guy who walked on to the Philly Eagles this morning.

Back to post topic, COYW!!!!

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

is it just me, or when diop was making his charge toward the end line (before assisting mcbride) did you think for an instant "ah crap....whats he doing?", as he often does. i cant think of any other player who makes so many moves that are questionable, and either tank or are spectactular. there isnt a middle ground with him. its either "what are you doing!?!?!?" or "holy crap that was amazing!!!"

nevertheless, its great to see him back. i thought he was a goner, but guess not. i know my blood pressure is going to rise again when he's on the pitch, as it used to.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Jay DeMerit is a nice story, but a not good enough footballer. Watford sucks people. And DeMerit is the heart of the defense.

Go Fulham!

7. sfm

sfm Member

Does anyone know what happened to Antti Niemi in the warm-ups? GJ said he was initially announced in the starting XI, then came off and was not on the subs bench. I hope it is not serious. Lastuvka made a good save on Obefemi Martins' shot just before the half but he was not seriously tested yesterday and I still question his ability on crosses. Needless to say, I hope Niemi is not out for long even though Smertin would help us defensively in a holding midfield role once fully match fit.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Timmay!

You, are not alone.

9. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Newcastle

Any torrent site should be able to pickup who has the match. I think I downloaded it from mininova.

Great win!!! Now on to the Reebok. Glad to see West Ham, Watford, and Charlton are still 4 games below us.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Aidy's passion is commendable, but the squad looks too undisciplined and lose their form too often. I think DeMerit has Premiership potential. Whether as a starter, hard to say, but the kid is good-sized and non-stop.

This I know for sure, another slight by the USMNT means something very rotten is going on (surprise, surprise?).

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Watford's major problem -- aside from the fact that they were planning to spend this year being a mid-table CCC side -- is that their only Prem-level striker was lost to them in October. DeMerit has played well throughout. He's not the reason they're where they are.

And PCB ... do you mean "you snub the MLS, Cheesehead, now we snub you?" To quote Bugs Bunny, "eeeeeee yah, couldst be"

12. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

There are exceptions to that sentiment:

Kasey Keller never played in MLS, yet he got 90 caps with the USMNT.

Claudio Reyna never played for MLS while he was playing for the USMNT, 112 caps and the captaincy. He's in MLS for this upcoming season - but that's after he retired from international soccer.

Oguchi Oneywu never played in MLS and he's got 17 caps already and looks to be a feature of the team for a long time. He's only not in Mexico because he's getting settled at Newcastle.

Steve Cherundolo has played in Hannover 96 for his entire career, yet he has 38 caps.

I don't think Jay DeMerit is all that great. CB is pretty much tied up with Onyewu, Gibbs (when he's finally healthy), and Bocanegra.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well then our interpretation of the highlights I have seen are way, way different. DeMerit has shown me a lot, in fact enough for me to consider him over Spector (for now) for the RCB position. Gibbs is an LB, bro. And while we all love the gritty and lazily quaffed Bocanegra, I'm picking the guy with more height to start over the two grinders with similar game styles.

I am happy to start the chant now, DeMerit & Onyewu for CB's 2010!!!

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I agree Demerit should most defiantly be in the squad for the Mexico game, but how do we know that Bradley has flat out snubed him?

Could it not be the case that Bradley wanted him very much but Wartford told him to take a hike. I don't think it's fair to dismiss Bradley as Brainless or a conspirator in a plot to leave Euro players off the Natl team on the basis of the lineup for one friendly where not all the facts are clear.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I agree. I was not referring to the squad against Mexico in particular.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Aidy Boothroyd has gone on record several times saying that he cannot understand why the USMNT hasn't capped DeMerit. DeMerit was on record last week saying he was hoping for a callup.

Here's the big surprise: we were told "up to 7 players" would be called. We got 4?

And, yes, I'll give you Reyna and Keller, but Bradley is an MLS coach, and I think that the USMNT will be primarily an MLS team while he's in charge. I think Mexico would have been THE perfect time to unleash Gooch and DeMerit.

I hope I'm wrong; Petty will tell you that I usually am.

17. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

That to me says Bradley wanted up to 7 but was in the end only able to secure the services of four. Aidy may have liked the idea of having one of his men make a world cup squad, but upon hearing that his CB would be flying all the way to Arizona for a game Wednesday, he may have vetoed the idea. I wouldn't blame him.

Perhaps the Nat'l team has tended to chosse MLS players over players of Scandinavian and other 2nd tier euro leagues, though Heath Pearce might say otherwise, but I can't see a bias against any players in a top euro league.

We don't now exactly how Bradley feels about MLS and European leagues and how that will affect his decision making in the future but it might be worthwhile to remember that his own son left MLS for a mid table club in Holland.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Snark, snark, Don.

I agree Demerit shoulld be given a look, at least a call to camp.

But I was under the impression that Bradley was giving Gooch to Newcs because he needs practice there.
    And if I recall, USSOCCER under Arena started going easy on the Euro players -in season- to avoid friction..Gotta keep the club managers happy.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I have contacted U.S. Soccer, Yanks Abroad, and 90:00 about finding out why Jay DeMerit is not joining the Men's National Team for Mexico. I hope we all get an answer, as the speculation does not satisfy me, nor probably many others.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Aidy may be grasping onto DeMerit and others as his final hope to avoid the drop. But then his quote above, that Don provided, does not make much sense.