Newcastle: Pre and Post match [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

RE: Re: RE: Commentary HELP!!

Dempsey looked good when he was on the ball. I have setanta on Direct TV and it is great. I get 2 channels of pure soccer goodness. :)

2. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Fulham really turned it on the second half. I have no complaints save for the poor defending that led to Martins goal right at the end. It's crap like that has been making it harder for Fulham to win games.

Nevertheless, they did win. They fought for balls, got corners, and ran out Newcastle for much of that second half. The first half was fairly even, with Bocanegra with an important clearance on the line right at the end of that half.

I think Simon Davies may become a good signing, he was all over the place in the midfield.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Commentary HELP!!

Substitute 'Fulham' for 'baby' and you got the song right!

A great win today, sounds like Browny had another seriously good effort and Gentleman Jim kept mentioned Davies name so that could only be good for his confidence.

A much needed win and a deserved one as well.

The chatroom was fun again, thanks to everyone who joined in. I'll be back in the UK Monday so won't be able to do it for a while. Thanks again to DaveNearDC for the commentary...owe ya one.

COYSW's

4. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

WOOOOOOO! I woke up COMPLETELY bummed that I had overslept and missed the chatroom (no replays today at the pub, either), but it was TOTALLY worth it for three points.

I'm stoked to hear that the Wonder Twins pulled off the goals, and stuck it to Newcastle. Way to go, Fulham!

I suppose I will have to hope FSC runs some game highlights this weekend, but like I said--totally worth it.

COYsuuuuuuperW!!!!!

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

anyone know where i can get video of this match? i was sad to miss the chat because i had to work this morning, but whatever. hooray whites!

6. Jacob

Jacob New Member

7. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Newcastle

To all my fellow American Fulham fans I think you can be very proud of your players today, Boca was tremendous, one of his best games, he won everything, he even had some good efforts up front, he very queitly and without fuss kept a very good attack at bay for 92 minutes and 30 secs, Newcastle have had some good results this year, and Martins especially but Boca played a big part of simple outclassing them today, when was the last time a Fulham goalie hardly had a save to make. Dempsey came on and looked very good, and i cannot wait to see more of him, he as the look of class about him, and the air of arrogance you want from a flair player, and McBride he is just Mcbride, I know the guys at the crew loved him, and you can see why week in and week out, I can give him the best accolade I can think of, by saying he is one of the best old fashioned English centre forwards I have seen for many years. My wifes from Chi town so i hope da bears do it tomorrow.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Newcastle

In the chatroom today, there was some reference made to being able to sign Wayne for 2 mil. Is that the deal? If so, can we get that check written soon?

Exciting listening this morning; 55% of the possession doesn't seem like much, but we had something like 38% after 40 minutes, so that shows a lot of dominance and aggression in the second half.

From the sound of GJ, it seems as if HH, Brownie, and Davies were all candidates for man of the match, but there's got to be a special shout out for Papa and Lastuvka who both played very well with little or no notice.

Any word on how Moritz is?

9. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: Newcastle

I haven't heard anything, but Volzy took some knocks in this game. I think he spent more time face down on the ground than running on the pitch! That isn't a bad thing because he was playing his heart out. Oh at one point the stats popped up and said we had 68% possession in the 2nd half for a bit.

I had my Manchester United friend over watching the match with me. He asked "who is this huge guy you guys are bringing on?" I told him "thats Papa Bouba Diop and he is hungry for some playing time. They better watch out he is going to be busting heads!" Sure enough he out muscled the Newcastle defense to gift McBride a nice goal. I just want to say thanks to him for wanting to fight it out for some first team action.

I heard Coleman say that Alexey Smertin was playing in the reserves getting fit. Any word on his time table? I would like to see what kind of impact he will have.

10. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

RE: Re: RE: Newcastle

I got to say after watching the First half it was Fulham being Fulham, Newcastle didn't do much either and so began the second half, well again I got to say that was the best I've seen for long time, in fact I thought we looked better for most of the second half and got better as the game went on, which is something else for Fulham, they didnt sit back on the lead and took the game to Newcastle. I'm very excited in the new players Dempsey had some nice touches and played a big part in the second goal. If we can continue this I'm very excited.

COYW's

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

RE: Re: RE: Newcastle

I watched the extended highlights and thought that the second half was a great effort. I was massivly pleased to see the way the Fulham players reacted to Diop when he came on. They are clearly please he is in the team and fighting for his place. The players did not know who to celebrate with after the second goal. Also, the finish by McBride was class as he played the ball across his body.

HH, Boca and Brown also had chances and we could and should have been 4 or 5-0 up mid-way through the second half. What a difference to the Sheff Utd performance.

Dempsy looked good when he came on, Diop looked very up for it. Just a shame to conceed a late goal.

footnote: How much does Boca get paid a week? He needs a bloody hair cut the scruffy so and so.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

We needed a win and really we deserved to win by 3 or 4 as Newcastle were nowhere to be found after the break. Routledge didn't look entirely comfortable on the left wing, but he did have some nice moments. Davies looks decent, but I would want Dempsey to start more on the left wing and move routledge over to his right flank where he is way more comfortable. Also I always bash Helguson, but got to give him love for this game. They way he finished that chance was pure genius. He worked hard and his overall play was good and I hope he can show this more and start scoring some goals and build on this performance.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Every American on the pitch looked good (how many newly acquired players play 93 minutes?). But we had more Americans than them. We win! Beautiful.

14. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Do I sense something here.....lol More Americans = more wins?
    I'm still ecstatic about this win.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Wow, fantastic stuff!

Sad to have missed it (work) :roll:, but am extremely excited now that I've finally seen the result!

Glad to hear that Davies was good, and that Heider finally put one away, I think he's got more coming now as a result. Hopefully Dempsey gets his first start next week it certainly sounds like he deserves it.

On a last note I'm very happy to have beaten Gooch in his debut. That’s what you get for snubbing Fulham.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the team and its supporters can focus up as opposed to down when it comes to the standings. Huge 3 pts. and from the sounds of it a great team win (wish I had seen more than the highlights).

Let's be realistic (notice I didn't capitalize the r and mention the official messageboard), in a 38 game schedule (not including cup matches) every team will throw in a clunker (aka Sheff U away) or two. Criticism is fair when warranted, but I think the team will finish w/more points than last year, and I truly believe the squad is moving in the right direction.

COYW

18. FulhamYank

FulhamYank New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Newcastle

I think Cookie's a helluva coach for halftime adjustments. There have been many matches this season where we looked flat for the first half, but came out with much more passion for the second.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Dempsey and Boca will be traveling to AZ to take on Mexico this week, so I don't see Dempsey getting a start in his return to England.

Maybe the Tottenham FA Cup game we'll see him get a start.

20. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And according to some of the 'footy web rags' Roeder is holding Gooch at Newcs, so he's out of it.

But I think that's only right.